Mars

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

Mars

Post by Doka » 12-07-2011 11:37 PM

I remember in the 50s when we were tought about Mars and the canals on it. I have read some sci-fy that included "the canals of Mars". Where did they go? I am also hard pressed to even find a picture of Mars with canals. I read some where that it was all an illusion? Even in the 50s, I will assume that had some fairly powerful telescopes?

Then in 2000, I think, give or take a year. Mars was at it closest to Earth. I and a very large group of people and several amateur astronomers with some really good telescopes in hand went to a high cliff over-looking the ocean (Pacific) and we all got a great view of Mars. We could see some of the lines we refered to as "canals" and also a rather large red spot, that we were told was a giant dust storm. Remember the giant dust storms of Mars?

O.K. I have a point to make here. I believe Mars has been really busy "redoing" its self, or something is "redoing", perhaps getting ready for us to visit? And it has been going on in our life time. Any one as fascinated as me. ??

Here are some really good pictures of Mars
http://todayswhisper.com/images-of-mars ... ed-by-nasa

http://todayswhisper.com/images-mars-published-by-nasa

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-08-2011 12:15 AM

I like the photos you linked to. They're in full color!

I read somewhere that NASA used to artificially tint all the Mars photos red, I have no idea why... I'll look for some info on it.
Last edited by SquidInk on 12-08-2011 10:24 AM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-08-2011 12:34 AM

Here's what I was thinking of:
Ironically, NASA’s dedication to the needs of the scientific community may have encouraged the release of the miscolored Mars images. The Spirit and Opportunity rover cameras have two “eyes,” each with eight color filters. The left eye includes the red, green, and blue color filters; the right is dedicated entirely to ultraviolet and infrared. Planetary geologists rely on ultraviolet and infrared data to identify rocks and minerals—the primary scientific goal of the current Mars rover mission—so mission planners try to use those filters as often as possible. Anytime they add invisible wavelengths into the mix, however, they necessarily get a false-color image.

http://discovermagazine.com/2004/dec/co ... :int=1&-C=

hmm...
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 12-08-2011 03:14 AM

Here is the Wiki on the erroneous idea of canals on Mars:
For a time in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it was erroneously believed that there were canals on Mars. These were a network of long straight lines that appeared in drawings of the planet Mars in the equatorial regions from 60° N. to 60° S. Lat., first observed by the Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli during the opposition of 1877, and confirmed by later observers. Schiaparelli called these canali, which was translated into English as "canals" (see below). The Irish astronomer Charles E. Burton made some of the earliest drawings of straight-line features on Mars, although his drawings did not match Schiaparelli's. By the early 20th century, improved astronomical observations had revealed the "canals" to be an optical illusion, and modern high resolution mapping of the Martian surface by spacecraft shows no such features.

There is more on this subject at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martian_canal

Riddick
Pirate

Could NASA Be Hiding Extraterrestrial Buildings On The Red Planet?

Post by Riddick » 09-01-2016 05:56 PM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Re: Mars

Post by Doka » 09-01-2016 07:11 PM

Lots of "Stuff" on Mars, they are moving the "furniture around" in anticipation for when us "dumbed down" humans, get up there. :shock:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

THE RIGHT KIND OF CRAZY: TEAM ROCKET IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN

Post by Riddick » 11-11-2016 03:04 AM

Inside JPL: NASA's Crazy, Kooky, Legendary Research Facility
Everyone's talking about private industry getting humans on Mars. Mars trips! Mars houses! Mars colonies! But no one's going anywhere without the help of one brilliant, peculiar, fantastical space center—NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, which is behind almost every amazing feat in the history of space travel. FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-11-2016 01:16 PM

I wonder who gets to go first? Obviously not those, "in the know" who will be staying at the Ritz, with the pool and room service. :)

Your future house on Mars: First ever Martian show home reveals what life would be like on the red planet.

Dome-like structure shows what our first homes on Mars, mined from the Martian soil that, could look likeThe show home will remain on display at London's Royal Observatory in Greenwich until next WednesdayThe show is the premise of a TV series made by National Geographic, called Mars, that will air on SundayStephen Petranek, author of 'How We'll Live on Mars' told MailOnline what it would feel like to live there

Read more: 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lanet.html
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-12-2016 02:02 PM

One of these days after our many "Sneek Peeks" of what is on Mars, somebody is going to say, "That stuff, looks just like stuff, we have found on Earth" !! And they are more than likely, Right. :D
=======================================

Another Bizarre Statue Found On Mars

The spate of strange sightings on Mars hasn’t let up. According to one of the latest claims of UFO hunters and conspiracy theorists another artificial structure has been found on the red planet. It seems this bizarre structure resembles statues that are found on Earth.

There are people who would disagree and say this is just another illusion, but many others suggest that Mars was capable to support life in the distant past and NASA’s rovers are finding evidence of that today.

Plasma physicist John E. Brandenburg believes that an ancient civilisation on Mars was massacred in a nuclear attack. He claims there is no other explanation for his proposal that a ‘weapon’s signature’ remains from the attack on Mars. He says that ancient Martians known as Cydonians and Utopians were wiped out by a nuclear attack from another alien race. Although he does not go into much detail about the alien races, he points to a number of ‘artifacts’ on the surface that he says are remnants of an intelligent society.

http://www.look4ward.co.uk/x-files/ther ... e-of-mars/

PS NASA main purpose is dis-information and cleaning up photos. Sometimes , it appears they get sloppy. :coolhat:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Lucianne Walkowicz: Let's Not Use Mars As A Backup Planet

Post by Riddick » 11-18-2016 02:19 AM

Stellar astronomer and TED Senior Fellow Lucianne Walkowicz works on NASA's Kepler mission, searching for places in the universe that could support life. So it's worth a listen when she asks us to think carefully about Mars. In this short talk, she suggests that we stop dreaming of Mars as a place that we'll eventually move to when we've messed up Earth, and to start thinking of planetary exploration and preservation of the Earth as two sides of the same goal. As she says, "The more you look for planets like Earth, the more you appreciate our own planet."

-Donald Trump Image

Riddick
Pirate

A Crazy Miscalculation Doomed The Schiaparelli Mars Lander

Post by Riddick » 11-24-2016 10:53 PM

The European Space Agency has released new information about the crash of the ExoMars Schiaparelli lander. Soon after the deployment of its parachute, the lander made a miscalculation so bad that it thought it was below the Martian surface, when in reality was still two miles high.

The ESA’s investigation into the crash is far from over, but this latest revelation is painting a clearer picture of what happened during the failed landing on October 19. FULL STORY

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-25-2016 02:06 AM

So how many" Landers" have we lost up there, Now? Maybe "something" isn't quite ready, but that shouldn't stop us. Just a hunch, but the Chinese just may get there 1st. :messedup:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

A German Lab Is Growing Tomatoes

Post by Riddick » 03-10-2017 01:54 AM

...In Urine To Feed A Future Mars Mission
"To be brutally honest, it’s not the nicest tomato I have ever tried: the skin is a little tough and the taste is slightly bitter. But it is, nevertheless, a healthy, edible tomato." FULL STORY

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 03-10-2017 01:29 PM

Maybe the tomatoes would taste better if we used "Grass Fed Humans"? :mrgreen:
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

First Tomatoes, Now (Non-Urinated) Taters?

Post by Riddick » 03-11-2017 11:17 PM

NASA Is Growing Potatoes For Mars
A project with a Peruvian research center successfully grew tubers in an environment that mimicked the Red Planet. FULL STORY

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”