Wanderers

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Wanderers

Post by SquidInk » 12-01-2014 01:13 AM

http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/what.html

WANDERERS is a short science fiction film by Erik Wernquist (that´s me) - a digital artist and animator from Stockholm, Sweden.

The film is a vision of our humanity's future expansion into the Solar System. Although admittedly speculative, the visuals in the film are all based on scientific ideas and concepts of what our future in space might look like, if it ever happens. All the locations depicted in the film are digital recreations of actual places in the Solar System, built from real photos and map data where available. For those interested in learning more of the places featured in the film, I recommend turning to the gallery section.

The title WANDERERS refer partly to the original meaning of the word "planet". In ancient greek, the planets visible in the sky were collectively called "aster planetes" which means "wandering star". It also refers to ourselves; for hundreds of thousands of years - the wanderers of the Earth. In time I hope we take that leap off the ground and permanently become wanderers of the sky. Wanderers among the wanderers.
There is no apparent story - other than what you might imagine for yourself - and the idea is primarily to show a glimpse of the fantastic and beautiful nature that surrounds us on our neighboring worlds - and above all, how it might appear to us if we were there.

As some may notice I have borrowed ideas and concepts from science fiction authors such as Kim Stanley Robinson and Arthur C. Clarke, just to name a few. And visually, I of course owe many tips of my hat to painter Chesley Bonestell - the legendary master of space art.

More directly, I have also borrowed the voice of astronomer and author Carl Sagan to narrate the film. The audio I used are excerpts from his own reading of his book 'Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space' (1994) - needless to say, a huge inspiration for this film.

I want to fully admit that I have no explicit permission to use the voice of Carl Sagan in this film. My hope is - as this is a completely non-profit production, made to enlighten and inspire - that whoever holds those rights today will approve of what I have done. However, if any owner of these rights finds this use inappropriate, please let me know and I will take measures immediately.

Also, if you are so inclined:

http://www.erikwernquist.com/wanderers/gallery.html
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-01-2014 05:04 PM

Squid, I only have feeble words of praise and to tell you it made my soul ring like a bell. I'm ready! Lets go! :cool:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 12-02-2014 11:11 AM

:pirateboa
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 12-02-2014 11:40 AM

Beautiful
A man's character is his fate

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”