So much for science.........

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

So much for science.........

Post by kbot » 10-26-2017 11:31 AM

Sometimes people just place too much emphasis on "science" and not much at all on faith. So, it's kinda nice when the best that Man has to offer comes-up short and even science has to admit that they're not the be-all-and-end-all final arbiter of knowledge.

CERN Scientists say, the existence of Universe is not possible

That's because at the very beginning of existence, the equal amounts of matter and antimatter present should have annihilated each other. While that sounds attractive, it creates a huge problem with existential consequences. The imbalance could be just for the smallest fraction, then if the universe exists, then there is an imbalance. Researchers have spent years looking for any difference between anti-matter and matter that explains why they didn't cancel one another out when the cosmos was created.

Such symmetry in nature poses a fundamental problem.
http://newburghgazette.com/2017/10/26/c ... se-is-not/
Attachments
untitled.png
untitled.png (75.81 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

The Hysterically Dogmatic Never-Ending End Of The World Prophecy

Post by Riddick » 10-27-2017 01:47 AM

So the universe shouldn't exist. OK, what now? So science DOESN'T have it all figured out? Well, that's the thing about it - All it means is scientists have to re-evaluate their theories and hope they can come up with better explanations -

Except with climate science. Who'da thought carbon, the element all life on Earth is based on, would actually be an atmospheric pollutant - not just any old carbon, it's what we humans produce - that'll cause untold catastrophic planetary changes?

But hasn't there always been climate change? And the computer models as well as the data put into them -.isn't it all suspect, custom fit for the theory, rather than reality? As if any of that matters. Never mind the facts! And stop asking questions.

Denial, skepticism, it's all the same and it's all the worst kind of HERESY! With the planet's future at stake, the holding of opinions by lay people contrary to accepted doctrine ought NOT BE tolerated. REPENT NOW, ye unbelievers or be sorry later.

Climatology is the ONE TRUE science. Und DAT IS ALL da people need to know!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Re: So much for science.........

Post by Doka » 10-27-2017 10:48 AM

Good writing Riddick!

"Science" came to a abrupt Halt when it became a "Political Tool" (Hammer). Used like "Hollywood Horror Movies".

As far as Cern goes, it is a huge money hungry toy which needs to be fed billions, and will play any tune For the one's feeding the money to it. They have and will more than likely continue to find out some things, but we will more than likely Not hear about it. But, they will continue to feed the populace any thing they want, "Even if it does Not Exist!"
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Re: The Hysterically Dogmatic Never-Ending End Of The World Prophecy

Post by kbot » 10-30-2017 07:23 PM

Riddick wrote: 10-27-2017 01:47 AM So science DOESN'T have it all figured out? Well, that's the thing about it - All it means is scientists have to re-evaluate their theories and hope they can come up with better explanations -
Well, that's what its all about, isn't it Riddick. The scientific theories, which are taken by fellow academics as FACT, when in FACT they are obly THEORIES, but the academic lemmings just run with them and treat them as FACTS. Just look at the theory of evolution. Sounds good, feels good, no reference to a higher being........ THAT MUST BE IT!!!!! Still only a theory. Still not proven.

And this is the thing with science - its always adjusting, always discarding when they spend BILLIONS to prove that they were wrong all along with a flashing multi-country erector set.

Imagine how many Meals on Wheels all that wasted money would've bought RIddick, huh?
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 10-31-2017 10:35 PM

I agree about Science equaling Theories . I see science as a never ending story, in all categories. As we progress with new knowledge , creating new theories, new applications . For instance gravity is no longer just an apple falling off a tree, but a means of getting us to the stars in our own solar system. Man was always meant to progress as evil as that sounds the current batch of idiots on this planet, who would be happier if we still lived in caves and never stamped out polio(through Science) , keep us divided and killing each other, of which doesn't really take much encouragement.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-01-2017 12:26 PM

I agree about the benefits of science. But on the other hand, science, especially in areas such as pharmaceuticals and agriculture (pesticides) leaves a LOT to be desired. Seems that they (lately at least) are creating more problems.

I just got a delivery from Amazon - a book called The Night Battles. It's an analysis of Church trials which took place in Italy in the 1500s, conducted by the Franciscans. I find historical information about witchcraft fascinating (especially living as close to Salem as I do) and this is an amazing story about a group of people called the benandanti who related stories about how they would wage war on the astral plane level against witches. I've only just gotten into it the other night, but it's an amazing story about how an organized religion could have so totally misread things - an example being how some witches (not all certainly) have demonstrated health issues such as epilepsy, which can place them into an altered state of reality.

Another book that I've discovered in my reading, called Dreamtime, explores the concept of altered states of reality brought on by physical conditions which have developed over time with witchcraft and shamanism.

If you have a chance to explore, you can start here - but I agree that organization, such as religions, can mess things up as well as science can.....

The Night Battles

The Night Battles: Witchcraft and Agrarian Cults in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries is a historical study of the benandanti folk custom of 16th and 17th century Friuli, Northeastern Italy. It was written by the Italian historian Carlo Ginzburg, then of the University of Bologna, and first published by the company Giulio Einaudi in 1966 under the Italian title of I Benandanti: Stregoneria e culti agrari tra Cinquecento e Seicento. It was later translated into English by John and Anne Tedeschi and published by Routledge and Kegan Paul in 1983 with a new foreword written by the historian Eric Hobsbawm.

In The Night Battles, Ginzburg examines the trial accounts of those benandante who were interrogated and tried by the Roman Inquisition, using such accounts to elicit evidence for the beliefs and practices of the benandanti. These revolved around their nocturnal visionary journeys, during which they believed that their spirits traveled out of their bodies and into the countryside, where they would do battle with malevolent witches who threatened the local crops. Ginzburg goes on to examine how the Inquisition came to believe the benandanti to be witches themselves, and ultimately persecute them out of existence.

Considering the benandanti to be "a fertility cult", Ginzburg draws parallels with similar visionary traditions found throughout the Alps and also from the Baltic, such as that of the Livonian werewolf, and also to the widespread folklore surrounding the Wild Hunt. He furthermore argues that these Late Medieval and Early Modern accounts represent surviving remnants of a pan-European, pre-Christian shamanistic belief concerning the fertility of the crops.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Battles

Dreamtime (book)

Dreamtime: Concerning the Boundary between Wilderness and Civilization is an anthropological and philosophical study of the altered states of consciousness found in shamanism and European witchcraft written by German anthropologist Hans Peter Duerr. First published in 1978 by Syndikat Autoren-und Verlagsgesellschaft under the German title of Traumzeit: Über die Grenze zwischen Wildnis und Zivilisation, it was translated into English by the Hungarian-American anthropologist Felicitas Goodman and published by Basil Blackwell in 1985.

Dreamtime opens with the premise that many of those accused of witchcraft in early modern Christendom had been undergoing visionary journeys with the aid of a hallucinogenic salve which was suppressed by the Christian authorities. Duerr argues that this salve had been a part of the nocturnal visionary traditions associated with the goddess Diana, and he attempts to trace their origins back to the ancient world, before looking at goddesses associated with the wilderness and arguing that in various goddess-centred cultures, the cave represented a symbolic vagina and was used for birth rituals.

Later in the book, Duerr looks at ethnographic examples of shamanism, focusing on the shamanic use of hallucinogens and the experiences which such entheogens induce. He argues that "archaic cultures" recognize that a human can only truly understand themselves if they go to the mental boundary between "civilization" and "wilderness", and that it is this altered state of consciousness which both the shaman and the European witch reached in their visionary journeys. Believing that the modern western worldview failed to understand this process, Duerr criticizes the work of those anthropologists and scientists who had tried to understand "archaic" society through a western rationalist framework, instead advocating a return to "archaic" modes of thought.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamtime_(book)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-01-2017 01:57 PM

I wonder, Kbot, how many "Witches" simply had ESP, or where clairvoyant , Not diseased , nor drugged. Heck, today they would be consultants on TV show, or have their own show.

As far as Science or most any thing in this world, can be "Weaponized". It is very important to know what kind of planet you are living on. Most will agree We Do Not Live in "Utopia"......Then why o' why should we expect "Perfection"? It is our expectations that are so out of whack, this world is what it is , the only thing that can be changed is our view of it. I know, too much work. It is like "Evil" I accept wholly that it exists, with-in people, places and things, sometimes invited, mostly embraced by ignorance, but evil just the same. I do not bother filling my heart with hatred of them /it , I do not expect them/it to suddenly become "Good" my expectations are in my control as best as I can manage. Evil is here and it is what it is, It does what it does. The effort That I have to keep close tabs on is that I don't join it, so I do have to keep my eyes on my own "stuff". After all I have the best excuse in the Whole World......".I'm only Human" :wink:
KARMA RULES

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 11-01-2017 03:38 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to look much at the issue of witches and physical issues which may give them abilities far in advance of others, although it's certainly an interesting possibility. On the other side, I had read number of years back, an analysis of the Salem witch trials where the accusers may very well have been the victims of ergot poisoning due to spoiled rye bread, rather than any supernatural cause. Also, there was money at work as property owners who had property abutting the accused stood to gain quite a bit by guilty verdicts. Sad situations all around.

As far as anything being weaponized, you've hit the nail on the head - look at recent events in New York as the most recent example, although I'm sure you can find many others committed by Liberals and Progressives as well as Conservatives. Each have their pet issues. The Far Right theocratic types will use violence to force everyone to their view, or somehow conflate the 2nd amendment with mass gun violence. The Far Left will decry gun violence that kills or wounds dozens but be unapologetic about abortion on demand that has killed millions since Roe v Wade.

The nuts are everywhere, on both sides of the aisle - all have their fervent beliefs and are apparently more than wiling to hurt others just to get their way. It is a sad world we live in Doka.......... I was so happy to see the littlest local kids last night out for Halloween. We are still digging out after a freak storm. Many are still without power and trees are still down in many locations, but for one night, it was nice to see some child-like happiness in the little corner of my world at least. :mrgreen:

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 11-02-2017 01:59 PM

Kbot, I never said that Witches have, more psychic powers than others! You did! We think so very differently!

The desire to put everyone into a "Labeled Box" is nice and neat, but won't work in reality ,what little we have, at any rate.
There are as many variables as humans, that's a lot of variables. Painting with a broad brush, of which, I am guilty of, is a trap, not a good one either!

Back to Witches, they where part of the time's they lived in, much like what we have now as a matter of fact. They where "Different" from their Puritan communities, no doubt there may have been a few "Evil Do'ers", but mostly just a bunch of Puritan rule breakers, non-conformists , some with some esp, some may have liked dancing in the woods naked, a major crime! But the Puritans did what they could do, they burned them at stake. Diversity the Puritan Way.

Wow! As I wrote that I had a very strong Deja Vu, moment, some things never change, do they?

Dear Kbot, I would just about bet, your sock drawer, could be a perfect feature in "HOUSE BEAUTIFUL" mine we won't talk about................. :wink:

variable

[vair-ee-uh-buh l] 

Spell Syllables

SynonymsExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

adjective

apt or liable to vary or change; changeable:

variable weather; variable moods.

capable of being varied or changed; alterable:

a variable time limit for completion of a book.

inconstant; fickle:
a variable lover.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/variable
KARMA RULES

Return to “Astronomy/ NASA/Physics”