Marriage Quiz

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

bluejello4
Pirate

Marriage Quiz

Post by bluejello4 » 11-06-2004 11:09 PM

This may have been on this board before, I'm not sure. But, I think it's incredibly interesting.

I wish that we could replay old footage, audio or video, of speeches made by our politicians from 50+ years ago on primetime TV. Maybe it would help wake some people up.

Anywho...

Here are some quotes from some politicians. See if you can guess which are about Gay marriage and which are about Interracial marriage.

1. This type of legal marriage must be forbidden, said the Republican senator from Wisconsin, “simply because natural instinct revolts at it as wrong.”

2. An organization opposed to this type of marriage claimed that legalizing it would result in “a degraded and ignoble population incapable of moral and intellectual development.”

3. “I believe that the tendency to classify all persons who oppose XXXX marriage as ‘prejudiced’ is in itself a prejudice,” claimed a noted psychologist.

4. A U.S. representative from Georgia declared that allowing this type of marriage “necessarily involves (the) degradation” of conventional marriage, an institution that “deserves admiration rather than execration.”

5. “The next step will be (the demand for) a law allowing them, without restraint, to … have free and unrestrained social intercourse with your unmarried sons and daughters,” warned a Kentucky congressman. “It is bound to come to that. There is no disguising the fact. And the sooner the alarm is given and the people take heed, the better it will be for our civilization.”

6. “When people (like this) marry, they cannot possibly have any progeny,” wrote an appeals judge in a Missouri case. “And such a fact sufficiently justifies those laws which forbid their marriages.”

7. These types of marriages are “abominable,” according to Virginia law. If allowed, they would “pollute” America.

8. In denying the appeal of this type of couple that had tried unsuccessfully to marry, a Georgia court wrote that such unions are “not only unnatural, but … always productive of deplorable results,” such as increased effeminate behavior in the population. “They are productive of evil, and evil only, without any corresponding good … (in accordance with) the God of nature.”

9. A ban on this type of marriage is not discriminatory, reasoned a Republican congressman from Illinois, because it “applies equally to men and women.”

10. Attorneys for the state of Tennessee argued that such unions should be illegal because they are “distasteful to our people and unfit to produce the human race.” The state Supreme Court agreed, declaring these types of marriages would be “a calamity full of the saddest and gloomiest portent to the generations that are to come after us.”

11. Lawyers for California insisted that a ban on this type of marriage is necessary to prevent “traditional marriage from being contaminated by the recognition of relationships that are physically and mentally inferior,” and entered into by “the dregs of society.”

12. “The law concerning marriages is to be construed and understood in relation to those persons only to whom that law relates,” thundered a Virginia judge in response to a challenge to that state’s non-recognition of these types of unions. “And not,” he continued, “to a class of persons clearly not within the idea of the legislature when contemplating the subject of marriage.”

How to Destroy Civilization as We Know It
(And Other Light Classics)
For the authors of the above statements, it would seem that legal recognition of such marriages would offend tradition, God, the sensibilities of the majority, and the natural order. All the while threatening conventional marriage, children, and the future of our civilization. Plus, they indicate a profound sense of rage, fear, and righteous indignation.

All of these quotes refer to interracial marriage, views of race, and the “proper” interaction between the races. They date from 1823-1964 and were culled by reporter Eric Zorn from a Boston University Law Review article and a brief filed with the U.S. Supreme Court. Zorn’s article was published in the Chicago Tribune, May 19, 1996.

http://www.buddybuddy.com/

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-06-2004 11:49 PM

At the risk of opening a can of worms, let me just say this. More than a few of my heraldic associates (past and present) are homosexuals. (I have always found this to be rather curious, because traditionally one's coat of arms is passed on to one's heirs and none of my homosexual heraldic associates - save one - actually has children, adopted or otherwise).

I personally have no problem with their homosexuality. At least one of them is now married to his homosexual partner and they've been together for DECADES, which is more than I can say for most of my hetrosexual associates, friends and family members!

Yes, these associates of mine are obviously in a committed relationship, but ... they are not monogamous by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, ... I don't personally know any homosexual couples who are strictly monogamous. Perhaps - setting aside issues of homophobia - this is the problem some (obviously not all) have with gays being issued marriage certificates, etc.

Yes, ... I realize there are more than a few heterosexual couples who are married and yet commit acts of adultery (as defined by our civil legal system), still ... I would venture to say that the majority of people would - however idealistically - define marriage as a strictly monogamous relationship, no?

I think the main bitch politicians have with this issue - constituent pandering and vote grubbing aside - is the economic factor. What impact will gay marriage have on Social Security, especially where death benefits are concerned? Never mind the whole issue of SS benefits with regards to gay adoption, etc.

Anyway, ... I could go on and on listing the economic impact of allowing gay marriage per the POV of politicians. Personally, ... I have no beef with the issue of gay marriage.

As for interracial marriage.... I'm in one and am also the product of more than a few (from generations past). Yes, there was and is a definite economic impact, but ... I'm hoping my own son will ... with the proper love and care and attention and education ... be able to move up the social ladder (if you will) and do better than previous generations. We'll see.... Personally, ... I think the PTB's are going to sock-it to us all in the not too distant future. :::sigh::::
S.Madewell - "If the truth shall kill a man ... let him die!"

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-06-2004 11:53 PM

Hmmmmm. Well, I know lots of gay people and I never found them to be anymore adulterous than anybody else.

bluejello4
Pirate

Post by bluejello4 » 11-06-2004 11:58 PM

I've known 2 homosexual couples closely enough to comment on their sex habits. The gay couple had one guy that still slept with his ex-wife from time to time, but it was never a serious issue. The lesbian couple only slept with each other as far as I know. They were committed.

My mom's last marriage before her death was interracial. This is in Alabama no less. While growing up there I still saw a lot of hatred and racism that you'd think should have died years ago, but it's still there.

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-07-2004 12:20 AM

BenSlain wrote: Hmmmmm. Well, I know lots of gay people and I never found them to be anymore adulterous than anybody else.

I think I made that point in my little spiel above. :)

smadewell
Pirate

Post by smadewell » 11-07-2004 12:27 AM

bluejello4 wrote: My mom's last marriage before her death was interracial. This is in Alabama no less. While growing up there I still saw a lot of hatred and racism that you'd think should have died years ago, but it's still there.

I think if we're all honest.... Each of us carries the seeds of racism within us. Sadly, ... it doesn't take much watering to bring 'em to the surface. During my military service everyone lived in fear of "Social Actions" which is the department that handled racial incidents, etc. I'm not an advocate of a Police State. I don't think pushing an extreme "PC Agenda" is the answer. Nevertheless, ... one would be surprised at how far the threat of serving time in Fort Leavenworth will go toward suppressing and preventing one's racist seeds from germinating. ;) :D

CindyLouWho
Pirate

Re: Marriage Quiz

Post by CindyLouWho » 11-07-2004 05:37 AM

bluejello4 wrote: All of these quotes refer to interracial marriage, views of race, and the “proper” interaction between the races.

Great article, bluejello ... proves an excellent point!

Someday, the people who are against gay marriage, will look as ignorant as the people who were against interracial marriage.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 08-08-2012 05:15 PM

bluejello4 wrote: All of these quotes refer to interracial marriage, views of race, and the “proper” interaction between the races.
I failed the test then,i was SURE some of them were referring to GAY marriage!! (Which there is nothing wrong with BTW)

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”