Conspiracy Theories Regarding the Presidential Election are

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-14-2004 04:37 AM

Faedrea wrote: And it happened on Nov 9th, not on Nov 11th. There was no parade that day.

BINGO
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-14-2004 12:09 PM

SetiLady -- could be right - was it in front of a Federal building - then possibly yes...could be why. (might want to check into this further)
- - -
calamityjane - actually that was NOT a signature line, though I have used it to close a few posts. Its there as "food for thought"
- - -
faedrea-- several places had parades on the 7th and on a few other days as well. There were some on the 9th as seen on tv news cast and again on the 11th-- dunno why those three days except yes weekend ones would be usual for many events. They had a small parade on the 10th - if I recall it correctly it was birthday of Marines?
- - -
mudwoman good article to read..thanks for posting it.

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 11-15-2004 01:54 PM

I read the story. This was at 7:30pm at night. No parades on the corner of Ventura and some other street. They left then came back. The soldiers were not being nasty but this in my opinion was to threaten.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 11-16-2004 01:50 PM

http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/ ... 0492c.html

Major network news chiefs review election, look to future

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer

Last Updated 5:51 am PST Tuesday, November 16, 2004

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) - The presidents of the three major television network news divisions were concerned about early election day exit polls that wrongly indicated Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry was leading President Bush in several key battleground states.

But they also said the problem had been compounded when the exit polls, which were sponsored by a consortium of major news organizations including the Associated Press, were leaked onto the Internet. That, the presidents said Monday night, resulted in a widely publicized but ultimately incorrect expectation of how the election would ultimately turn out.

"We're not happy that the exit polls, even in the first wave, were wrong," said NBC News president Neal Shapiro at a joint appearance of network news presidents at Stanford University. "We're all reviewing it, it should have been better. I think there were mistakes, some of which we're trying to figure out, and some of which we can't."

Shapiro and the other news presidents - David Westin of ABC News and Andrew Heyward of CBS News - met in a public forum to discuss and take questions about network coverage of the election, as well as the challenges posed by the rise of Fox News Channel, the proliferation of news across multiple media "platforms," and a public increasingly unwilling to plan around a fixed-time network newscast.

"There is an explosion in the number of news and quasi-news outlets and it goes into the Internet, it goes into broadband, streaming video, it's now on cell phones ... and those of us in network news have to recognize that," Westin said. "Technology is making it possible that the audience wants us to come to them, instead of making them coming to us which is traditionally what network news has done."

All three network news chiefs defended their decision to run just an hour of both parties' national conventions live each night, saying the conventions generated little if any real news.

And they said they believed network coverage of election returns Nov. 2 had been responsible, well paced, and relatively problem-free, compared to the erroneous calls made in 2000, which helped complicate that year's disputed presidential election outcome.

All three said their networks had set up investigative units to review any claims of voter fraud or problems with electronic voting technology this year, but that nothing significant had appeared anywhere to affect the election's outcome.

"A lot of the allegations we've looked into, they're just not true," Shapiro said. "Believe me, I'd love a juicy story about the election as much as anybody. Florida was a great story, but it's just not there this time."

On Iraq, the three said that, in retrospect, they should have more aggressively questioned the Bush administration's grounds for invading Iraq in the spring of 2003.

"Simply stated, we let down the American people on weapons of mass destruction, and I sincerely regret that," Westin said.

And while the networks continue to commit enormous resources to reporting from the war zone, the presidents said conditions in the country have made it too difficult to do much groundbreaking reporting now.

The three said that while they hoped to resist a push into opinionated, "edgy" news that has been the hallmark of Fox News and other cable outlets, they realized that Fox's success reminded them that networks needed to adapt to the new media marketplace in several ways.

"I think it's important to look at this as in increasingly sumptuous smorgasbord of choices, and Fox started that." Heyward said. "It's very different from the comfortable oligopoly that prevailed at the beginning of broadcast news, where you had networks with enormous market share. I think that's to the public benefit. It puts more pressure on us to be excellent."
racehorse

Rayvyn
Pirate

Post by Rayvyn » 11-16-2004 05:00 PM

I don't know how much fraud went on but there are a few strange things that happened in 2000 and 2004. Just about every year prior to these, the exit polls were very accurate. It seems that when Rove got into the mix, the exit polls started being incorrect. I wouldn't put anything past Rove. I just pray to God that if they cheated, let it be found out and make sure everyone knows they cheated. Then Bush would have no choice but to step down.

It's very fishy that they found 93,000 or so "phantom" votes in one county in Ohio. I mean someone had to do this on purpose. I just want to know who did it. If they can find out who did it, they can lean on these people and find out if there was some sort widespread fraud.

Rayvyn

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 11-16-2004 05:03 PM

American voters of every political stripe are presently disenfranchised. I hope the 2008 election enjoys freedom both from screw-ups and from allegations of screw-ups. Time to get to work, now.
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-18-2004 12:33 PM

Dev -- I do totally agree that the time to start working on election stuff - as far as voting goes - IS NOW!

Instead of all these election year drives -why not do it now? There will be elections in 2006 - as some senators come up for 're-election'...

NOW - I know here in MO when you get your DL or even car tags - they ask if you are registered to vote. How difficult would it be for people to do this in other states? AND what about post office moving cards type of things...when a person changes address. Shouldn't it contain a change of voters registration - one to send to current precinct and one to send to the new one?

Then too we need to work on actual voting equipment, ballots, etc. AND time period in which to vote. Make the entire USA a - four day - physically going to polls - maybe just certain hours during first three days and of course longer hours THE day?

How about posting of totals from every precinct in local newspapers? (at least for county or State) say - around first of DEC... (that allows for time to adjust to count absentee and provisional types) with separate totals listed for abs/prov totals.

some ideas to think about......

Ninerism
Pirate

Re: Conspiracy Theories Regarding the Presidential Election

Post by Ninerism » 11-26-2004 01:57 PM

racehorse wrote: I state again, President Bush WON this election, FAIRLY AND HONESTLY, as most Americans realize!

___________--

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/print?id=239735

Conspiracy Theories Abound After Bush Victory
Web Sites, E-mails Conjure Phantom Voters, Invented Malfeasance

By JAKE TAPPER and AVERY MILLER

Nov. 9, 2004 - There were minor voting irregularities on Election Day -- long lines, voting machine breakdowns, shortages of provisional ballots -- but some people are now leveling charges of voter fraud.

Doug Chapin, a nonpartisan election analyst, finds the claims to be baseless. "There were no problems that would lead me to believe that there were stolen elections or widespread fraud," he said.

"There was no overwhelming reason to cast doubt on the outcome of this election," seconded Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, the campaign manager for Al Gore's 2000 campaign. "George Bush got more votes this time."

Nevertheless, many people have devised various theories, including stories of voters in largely Democratic counties in Florida whose votes were changed for Bush, phantom voters in Ohio and exit polls showing John Kerry in the lead that were truer than the final tally. Off the record, many Democratic strategists dismiss such allegations, but they also know such resentment can be channeled for political use in the future.

Those Florida Democrats Who Mysteriously Voted for Bush

Based at least in part on these conspiracy theories, three Democratic congressmen have written a letter to the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

"We are requesting an investigation into all the allegations, of irregularities with respect to the electronic and other voting machines so that people can have confidence in the result of this election, and so that any weaknesses are changed before the next election," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y.

The congressmen's letter mentions the Web site ustogether.org, which questions why so many counties in Florida that have more registered Democrats than Republicans ended up voting for Bush. The Web site implies someone fixed the results.

In regard to Lafayette County, one of the counties in question, it is true that there are far more registered Democrats in that county than Republicans (3,570 to 570, respectively), and that the county elected Bush in this year's election, but the county elected Bush in the last election, too.

Four years before that, the Republican presidential candidate, Bob Dole, won in Lafayette County as well, as did the first President Bush four years before that.

Rep. Kendrick Meek, the co-chair of the Kerry campaign in Florida, says he knows why Bush was re-elected, and it has nothing to do with fraud.

"We did a good job, but the other side did a better job," he said.

Meek expresses serious concern that the conspiracy theories might create a sense of helplessness among voters and suppress future Democratic turnout.

The counties in question use Optiscan ballots (where voters indicate their choice by marking a circle with a No. 2 pencil), which was not the voting method people worried about before the election since, unlike electronic voting, the ballots leave a paper trail, and unlike punch card ballots, they can be counted and used easily.

"Before the election in many places you saw people questioning the process because they were concerned about the result," said Chapin. "And now there are people looking at the result and using that as a basis to question the process."

Ohio Conspiracy Theories

In the battleground state of Ohio, where conspiracy theories abound, a Web site for Cuyahoga County seemed to show more votes than voters in some precincts.

The county's Web site was confusing -- it lumped several precincts' absentee ballots together and then counted them several times, for each precinct. But those were glitches in vote-reporting -- not vote-counting. The "phantom" voters who mysteriously appeared and voted for Bush in the county -- which voted overwhelmingly for Kerry -- did not exist other than in the imagination of Democrats upset about Kerry's loss.

This afternoon, the Web site that first raised the questions about the Cuyahoga votes took it all back. "OK," wrote the Webmeister at "Americans 4 America," "finally had a chance to figure this out. I apologize for any anxiety that went along with these numbers. It seems that data is useless without knowing how counties arrived at the numbers and this was a particularly tricky process."

Exit Polls as Fact?

Finally, there is the controversy regarding the television networks' exit polls, which seemed early on to indicate a better day for Kerry than the one he actually had.

But as we now all know, the exit polls were off a bit. Regardless, exit polls are not hard data, they are as accurate as polling -- which is sometimes on target, and sometimes not. "If I'm given exit polls and voting results, and I'm [asked] which do I rely on more, I rely on voting results," said Norman Ornstein, a political analyst at the American Enterprise Institute.

Clearly for many people, however, results are not enough. When Mark Twain remarked that a lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can put on his shoes, it's astounding to think he was speaking decades before the invention of the Internet.

Clayton Sandell contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2004 ABC News Internet Ventures

Racehorsey, may I suggest that you and the other millions of True Believers who support Bush and the neo-cons push for EMPIRE BUILDING and preemptive war making, read the new posted thread:
'Saudi's, Enron money helped pay for U.S. rigged election (the rats begin to leak)' as posted by our muck-raking Rombaldi.

Don't be quite so certain that we have had a "fair election", and that President Bush did not "win" by curious arrangements at various key voting places throughout the nation.

We who have stated that we have seen many signs of VOTE SCAM once again in this national election don't wear tin-foil hats; and NO, we sure don't buy the Big Lies foisted upon us by the likes of PETER JENNINGS, and DAN BLATHER!

Readers: see much more at http://www.VOTESCAM.com and understand why concerned Americans of all political affiliations are very concerned that outrageous VOTE FRAUD has occurred with the dubious and questionable "mandate" that George crowns himself with at this date.

This is NOT going away, I do predict, and all the BLATHERINGS of PETER JENNINGS et al will not make ridicule do the trick.
Ninerism
Last edited by Ninerism on 11-26-2004 02:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 11-26-2004 05:36 PM

No, the crux of the matter is not just "conspiracy theories." There is much documented solid evidence of major problems, especially in Ohio and Florida, but in other states as well.

Keith Olberman has been working on this story since the first week after the election on MSNBC's Countdown, and Aaron Brown had a very good segment on the various election problems on CNN's Newsnight recently, too. This is NOT just a bunch of hooey, and deserves serious investigation on behalf of ALL the American people.

This issue is beginning to get more and more coverage as a legitimate story in mainstream media, as it should be, and should've been from the very first, IMO. I ran across an excellent website last night that is keeping track of the reporting of this issue in mainstream media: LINK I think it behooves us ALL to pay attention to this, stay informed, and work for CHANGE. If we don't, the very foundation of our democracy is in grave danger of crumbling away, and that hurts each and every one of us, regardless of party affiliation. Without, free, fair, and transparent elections, we are ALL disenfranchised.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

spiritme
Pirate

Post by spiritme » 11-26-2004 05:57 PM

Please Read, Act, and Circulate

"We have been following developments very closely
and are deeply disturbed by the extensive and credible
reports of fraud in the election. We call for a full
review of the conduct of the election and the tallying
of election results . . . . We cannot accept this
result as legitimate because it does not meet
international standards and because there has not been
an investigation of the numerous and credible reports
of fraud and abuse." U.S. Secretary of State Colin
Powell, 11/23/2004.

Report: OBSTACLES TO DEMOCRACY:
http://www.Nov3.US/obstacles
Action: VOTER BILL OF RIGHTS:
http://www.Nov3.US/billofrights
Support: OHIO RECOUNT: http://www.VoteCobb.org

Dear Sisters & Brothers,

Success. Your efforts spurred fourteen members of
Congress, led by Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, to
request a Goverment Accountability Office (GAO)
investigation of the 2004 presidential election.
Earlier this week, the GAO announced that it will
investigate "the security and accuracy of voting
technologies, distribution and allocation of voting
machines and counting of provisional ballots."

More success. Thanks to the contributions of
thousands of Americans, and the leadership of the
Green and Libertarian presidential nominees, David
Cobb and Michael Badnarik, the pivotal state of Ohio
will begin an election recount in the next several
weeks.

We hope these successes are only wetting your
appetite for more democracy. As tens of thousands
have taken to the streets of the Ukraine, the great
powers of the East and West have intervened to back
their candidates. Secretary of State Powell has
demanded an investigation of that election. We know
that it is not lost on any of you that here in the
United States, there are no contesting outside powers,
but only the two internal forces of popular democracy
and the political establishment. It is up to us.

As participants in the movement for democracy,
your work continues to be vital. We urge you to
prepare for the major events of the coming weeks.
Please go to our newly updated website at [url]http://www.Nov3.US,[/url]
note the changes we are making there, and read the
newly released report, "Obstacles to Democracy" at
http://www.Nov3.US/obstacles. And please act now to demand
election reform, and to support the Ohio recount:

1. VOTER BILL OF RIGHTS - Please see the new 11-point
"Voter Bill of Rights" at http://www.Nov3.US/billofrights.
Initially drafted in the aftermath of the stolen
election of 2000, we have updated and improved the
Voter Bill of Rights in response to the failures of of
the 2004 election. We ask you to circulate this
important document. We also encourage you to approach
your members of Congress to ask them to sign on to the
Voter Bill of Rights. Because Monday, December 13th,
is the day on which the members of the Electoral
College will meet in the capitals of every state, we
suggest that you organize delegations to visit
congressional offices on that day.

2. SUPPORT THE RECOUNT - The Ohio recount is moving
ahead, fueled by volunteer power, money, media
coverage, and determination. Determination is not in
short supply, and sufficient funds have been raised to
cover the initial costs of the recount, but more
volunteers, money, and above all, media coverage, are
needed. To contribute time and/or money, please visit
http://www.votecobb.org/.

Media coverage is also key. You may have read
the headlines declaring "Judge denies request for Ohio
recount." You probably read further, and discovered
that in fact the judge only denied the request for a
timely start to the recount, and that the recount
itself is still scheduled for early next month. It's
essential that our fellow Americans learn that an Ohio
recount is in the works, and that the presidential
election is far from over. It's vital that public
attention is focused on Ohio as the recount brings to
light the systemic flaws which disenfranchised
thousands of Ohioans, and potentially millions of
Americans.

You can help shine more light on the Ohio
recount by keeping the heat on the media to report it.
Write more letters to the editor. Call and email
newspaper, cable, web, radio, and tv outlets. Tell
them that Ohio, not the Ukraine, is THE story.

3. DEFEND THE OHIO RECOUNT - Bush 2004 Ohio chairman,
and erstwhile Ohio Secretary of State, Kenneth
Blackwell, has already demonstrated some resistance to
conducting a full, timely, and accurate recount of the
Ohio election. Other Ohio election officials have
denounced the initiation of the recount process as
"insulting" and "frivolous." Insulting? As of now,
only they can know. Frivolous? With voting rights
and 21 electoral votes in the balance, hardly.

The current recount timeline looks something
like this: December 6th is the deadline for Ohio
Secretary of State Blackwell to complete certification
of the Ohio vote. On the next day, December 7th, the
"winning" ticket must certify its slate of electors.
On December 13th, the members of the Electoral College
will meet in the capitals of every state to cast their
votes. On January 7th, 2005, Congress must decide
whether to ratify the decision of the Electoral
College.

Look at those dates, and consider how long a
full recount is likely to take: Five to ten days by
most estimates. You are right to be concerned. And
you're not alone. In the course of the next two weeks
we expect thousands of Ohioans to gather in churches,
campuses, and at their state capitol to rally to the
defense of their recount. We'll let you know where
and when. And we may ask you to organize a protest in
your own community.

Thank you.

http://www.Nov3.US
NO STOLEN ELECTIONS!
look who's name is on it in the beginning..!
Is this our colin powell...?
spiritme

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 11-26-2004 07:27 PM

I think Colin Powell is referring to the election in the Ukraine.
:rolleyes:

spiritme
Pirate

Post by spiritme » 11-26-2004 07:31 PM

Well I thought maybe it was to do with ours....sorry about that....
really...
thought it was too good to be true!
spiritme
:confused:

racehorse
Pirate

Re: Re: Conspiracy Theories Regarding the Presidential Elect

Post by racehorse » 11-26-2004 10:14 PM

Ninerism wrote: Racehorsey, may I suggest that you and the other millions of True Believers who support Bush and the neo-cons push for EMPIRE BUILDING and preemptive war making

we sure don't buy the Big Lies foisted upon us by the likes of PETER JENNINGS, and DAN BLATHER!

Ninerism

Niner, I am not a Neo-Con and I have never supported "Empire Building" or "preemptive war making". However, if supporting President Bush in the last election makes me a "True Believer" in your view, so be it.

I also agree about Dan Rather but not for the same reasons that you do.;)
racehorse

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 11-26-2004 10:43 PM

"There was no overwhelming reason to cast doubt on the outcome of this election," seconded Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, the campaign manager for Al Gore's 2000 campaign. "George Bush got more votes this time."

"Conspiracy Theories" Abound After Bush Victory

There were minor voting irregularities on Election Day

In regard to Lafayette County, one of the counties in question, it is true that there are far more registered Democrats in that county than Republicans (3,570 to 570, respectively), and that the county elected Bush in this year's election, but the county elected Bush in the last election, too.

But as we now all know, the exit polls were off a bit. Regardless, exit polls are not hard data, they are as accurate as polling -- which is sometimes on target, and sometimes not. "If I'm given exit polls and voting results, and I'm [asked] which do I rely on more, I rely on voting results," said Norman Ornstein, a political analyst at the American Enterprise Institute.

Thanks for pointing out sensibility

love
BenBaldie:D

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Re: Re: Re: Conspiracy Theories Regarding the Presidential E

Post by Corvid » 11-26-2004 11:26 PM

racehorse wrote: Niner, I am not a Neo-Con and I have never supported "Empire Building" or "preemptive war making". However, if supporting President Bush in the last election makes me a "True Believer" in your view, so be it.

I also agree about Dan Rather but not for the same reasons that you do.;)

RaceHorse.... it is past time to regain control of your Republican Party.

The "folks" who are now in charge are in more league with the soddies.

You ok with that?

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”