Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Air Force chief: Test weapons on testy U.S. mobs

Post by Rombaldi » 09-12-2006 06:29 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/12/usaf.w ... ndex.html#

Air Force chief: Test weapons on testy U.S. mobs

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nonlethal weapons such as high-power microwave devices should be used on American citizens in crowd-control situations before being used on the battlefield, the Air Force secretary said Tuesday.

The object is basically public relations. Domestic use would make it easier to avoid questions from others about possible safety considerations, said Secretary Michael Wynne.

"If we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation," said Wynne. "(Because) if I hit somebody with a nonlethal weapon and they claim that it injured them in a way that was not intended, I think that I would be vilified in the world press."

The Air Force has paid for research into nonlethal weapons, but he said the service is unlikely to spend more money on development until injury problems are reviewed by medical experts and resolved.

Nonlethal weapons generally can weaken people if they are hit with the beam. Some of the weapons can emit short, intense energy pulses that also can be effective in disabling some electronic devices.

On another subject, Wynne said he expects to choose a new contractor for the next generation aerial refueling tankers by next summer. He said a draft request for bids will be put out next month, and there are two qualified bidders: the Boeing Co. and a team of Northrop Grumman Corp. and European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co., the majority owner of European jet maker Airbus SAS.

The contract is expected to be worth at least $20 billion (&euro15.75 billion).

Chicago, Illinois-based Boeing lost the tanker deal in 2004 amid revelations that it had hired a top Air Force acquisitions official who had given the company preferential treatment.

Wynne also said the Air Force, which is already chopping 40,000 active duty, civilian and reserves jobs, is now struggling to find new ways to slash about $1.8 billion (&euro1.4 billion) from its budget to cover costs from the latest round of base closings.

He said he can't cut more people, and it would not be wise to take funding from military programs that are needed to protect the country. But he said he also incurs resistance when he tries to save money on operations and maintenance by retiring aging aircraft.

"We're finding out that those are, unfortunately, prized possessions of some congressional districts," said Wynne, adding that the Air Force will have to "take some appetite suppressant pills." He said he has asked employees to look for efficiencies in their offices.

The base closings initially were expected to create savings by reducing Air Force infrastructure by 24 percent.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 09-16-2006 02:29 PM

Rombi, better yet, let's see if Sec.Michael Wynn can line-up his family members for the first testings, and that way save us all time and money trying to get the public's attention to "LINE UP!".

These sorts of jokesters need to be removed from office.

Ninerism

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 09-16-2006 03:31 PM

The amazing thing about this statement is that Wynne did not offer it as a ideological provocation, but merely as a pragmatic suggestion. From where Wynne sits, the conversion of Amerika into a full-force fascist police-state is a given, something that one assumes as the foundation for any further discussion.

Let us hope that Wynne is out of his mind with such a perspective. If he is not, then the end is already here...

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-16-2006 03:50 PM

Getting sicker by the day, another chemical huh. Just today I stopped at local store to buy water and a disabled Viet Nam Vet was outside collecting money for Agent Orange victims which BTW there isn't a cure for. For once I am glad I had some cash, normally use a debit card only, I had $40.00 bucks and gave it to him. When I threw two twenties in the box tears came to his eyes and I lost it too. He told me the current plan for our soldiers who are getting out is only six months of health benefits. Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread Rombaldi but it seemed somehow appropriate to mention.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 09-16-2006 04:15 PM

But what, Shirleypal, is that disabled American Vet doing to ensure that Gulf War II veterans do not end up being abused like Vietnam War and Gulf War I veterans were, huh? Collecting cash for disabled vets is only a means, never an end. Once it becomes an end, it becomes nothing...

But that does not compromise the nobleness of your act, Shirleypal. And don't forget that karma exists. Good intentions bring good results, sooner or later, and generally at a moment when you aren't looking.

Just remember to visit me down in hell with a nice cold glass of iced tea every thousand years of so... I would appreciate the drink very much at that time... :D :D :D

By the way, I can't take your leaf, Shirleypal. It's against the Tenth Commandment to cover your neighbor's possessions, and hell is going to be hot enough for me as it is... :D :D :D

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 09-16-2006 04:24 PM

Joe I have a feeling that where ever you go I will be right beside you, now who is going to bring us both a cool glass of iced tea???

Corvid
Anchors Aweigh

Post by Corvid » 09-16-2006 04:46 PM

"It's against the Tenth Commandment to cover your neighbor's possessions, and hell is going to be hot enough for me as it is...
"

Joe,

One might "cover" thy neighbor's ash.... but the leaf is best left in place. :D :D :D

Right now a beer sounds like a fine idea. (Raley's has "Okachovo", a fine Russian beer on sale for $2.99/6.... the second one tastes pretty good.)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 09-16-2006 10:24 PM

Pour one for me Corvy, geeze louise.......Joe is right the guy said it like it was a given......:mad:

drnewel
Pirate

Contempt for all life

Post by drnewel » 09-20-2006 03:24 PM

These personnel have contempt for all human life, their competative servicemen, the enlisted classes, and the civilian class of people whom they are attempting to militarize in to a United States of prison camps.
Dr. Newel

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”