Moderator: Super Moderators

racehorse
Pirate

"Rising GOP Liberalism"

Post by racehorse » 10-01-2006 07:38 PM

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... e=printart

Sunday, October 1, 2006

Rising GOP liberalism

Liberal positions aren't just for Democrats anymore.

In the nation's 36 races for governor this fall, many Republican candidates are embracing views generally associated with liberals and sometimes putting them at the heart of their campaigns.

A recent New York Times survey identified the trend clearly:

In California, incumbent GOP Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger already had progressive views on abortion, gay rights, immigration and stem-cell research. Now, he is emphasizing his role in an initiative to force industry to lower greenhouse gas emissions, a $1-an-hour increase in the minimum wage and increased assistance to low-income Medicare recipients to pay for prescription drugs.

Not coincidentally, Mr. Schwarzenegger has rebounded from a political near-death experience to take a solid leader over his Democratic rival.

Maryland's Republican governor, Robert L. Ehrlich Jr., pledges to increase state aid for disabled people and to tighten emissions standards on coal-fired plants.

The Republican candidate in Massachusetts, Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey, has split with departing GOP Gov. Mitt Romney's restrictive views on abortion rights and stem-cell research. The Republican nominee in Illinois, Judy Baar Topinka, has similar positions and also backs civil unions for same-sex couples.

Hawaii Gov. Linda Lingle opposes capital punishment. Connecticut Gov. M. Jodi Rell differs with the national Republican Party stance on civil unions and federal funds for stem-cell research.

One could argue, of course, that those tend to be Democratic-leaning states that could tempt GOP candidates to the left. But that would slight recent political history, which is that Republican candidates often have defeated liberal Democrats and won governorships by stressing conservative positions that proved popular at the time.

In any case, it is a potentially significant shift -- especially since the conservative express seems to have jumped the rail. (Who any longer thinks that the national Republican Party represents limited government, prudent spending policies and a hands-off attitude toward citizens' private lives?)

If Republican candidates with moderate views win gubernatorial contests in "blue states" in what's shaping up as a tough year for Republicans, GOP presidential and congressional candidates may rethink their hard-right strategies.

It would be hard to imagine anything that could improve the tone and content of American politics more.
racehorse

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-01-2006 07:49 PM

Schwarzenegger's following Jerry Brown's mantra: "Paddle to the left, paddle to the right." He was always socially liberal, but really transformed himself into a Feinstein Democrat in the last few months -- of course, the suspicion is that this is a ploy, and it probably is. Neverthelss, he will will re-election handily, as it is widely (and correctly) perceived that, give the governorship to anyone else besides Schwarzenegger, and you really can kiss the state of California goodbye.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-01-2006 07:50 PM

Bovine. Stuff.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-01-2006 07:55 PM

HB3 wrote: Schwarzenegger's following Jerry Brown's mantra: "Paddle to the left, paddle to the right." He was always socially liberal, but really transformed himself into a Feinstein Democrat in the last few months -- of course, the suspicion is that this is a ploy, and it probably is. Neverthelss, he will will re-election handily, as it is widely (and correctly) perceived that, give the governorship to anyone else besides Schwarzenegger, and you really can kiss the state of California goodbye.

I do not consider Arnold Schwarzenegger as being a true Republican (or a Democrat). His real loyalty is only to himself.
racehorse

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 10-01-2006 07:56 PM

Then what would you consider Dwight D. Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt?

Sell-outs?

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-01-2006 08:02 PM

spaceprophet wrote: Then what would you consider Dwight D. Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt?
The last 'real' Republicans that existed... and Goldwater... what we have now are (now) blantant ass-kissers and nazis.
Republican - re·pub·li·can (r-pbl-kn) - political party, which will control part of Congress 2011-2012, undermining the strength of the country - on purpose, in public, without apology or shame - simply for a campaign advantage in 2012.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-01-2006 08:03 PM

spaceprophet wrote: Then what would you consider Dwight D. Eisenhower and Teddy Roosevelt?

Sell-outs?

Great Republican Presidents!

I have consistently opposed Arnold Schwarzenegger. He is an opportunist. He has no genuine political philosophy!
racehorse

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 10-01-2006 08:08 PM

Only because history has proven them as such.

I can't help but feel if either of those great men were alive today and working for us you'd be labeling them as sell-outs, race.

Sorry.

Arnold is doing what he can. If he's not dumping money on the rich I fail to see how he could be living up to the GOP standards any other way.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 10-01-2006 08:11 PM

racehorse wrote: I have consistently opposed Arnold Schwarzenegger. He is an opportunist. He has no genuine political philosophy!

For once, we actually agree. Arnold is a pig, any way you cut it.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-01-2006 08:14 PM

spaceprophet wrote: Only because history has proven them as such.

I can't help but feel if either of those great men were alive today and working for us you'd be labeling them as sell-outs, race.

I am what is still referred to as a "Nixon Republican" ( a pre-Watergate term, by the way) which means in earlier years I would have been considered an "Eisenhower Republican"!
racehorse

spaceprophet
Pirate

Post by spaceprophet » 10-01-2006 08:21 PM

Rombaldi wrote: The last 'real' Republicans that existed... and Goldwater... what we have now are (now) blantant ass-kissers and nazis.

Goldwater. Spoke his mind and stuck to his guns. Great sharp mind. Not racist or homophobic. All-inclusive. I'd vote for him based on his intellect.

I helped with two fundraisers for Bob Dole believe it or not [shocking]. Not ashamed of it in the least bit though. Two pancake feeds, one in Russell, KS and the other in Hays, KS. One raised 237,000 for his presidential race against Bill Clinton and the other raised 103,000 for his re-election senate run in '92.

His family sends me a Christmas card every year. To this very day.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 10-01-2006 08:23 PM

It's true, watch Pumping Iron for the true Arnold. There's a sort of beauty in the purity of evil. The point remains that unfortunately his Democratic opponent is far worse.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-01-2006 08:31 PM

spaceprophet wrote: Goldwater. Spoke his mind and stuck to his guns. Great sharp mind. Not racist or homophobic. All-inclusive. I'd vote for him based on his intellect.
I had the great pleasure to meet and talk with the Senator when I was in Phoenix for a conference many years ago. I've only met a few men I would put in his category of grace, intellect and charm.

Rombaldi
Call Me "Hussein"

Post by Rombaldi » 10-01-2006 08:32 PM

racehorse wrote: I am what is still referred to as a "Nixon Republican" ( a pre-Watergate term, by the way) which means in earlier years I would have been considered an "Eisenhower Republican"!
Then why in the name of Ghod do you continue to support the criminals that have taken your party and drug it thru the mud, filth and excrement? You continual refusal to dennouce them still confuses me.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 10-01-2006 08:41 PM

Your interpretation and mine of the relative merits of the Republican party and the Democratic party are not the same, Rombaldi. I do what I believe is best for this country, as I know you do what you feel is best!
racehorse

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”