Visit to Syria by Pelosi Is Under Fire

Archive - Caveat Emptor!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-05-2007 11:34 AM

HB3 wrote: Jesus....so much for feminist idealism....

Don't forget that Pelosi represents a nation who's leader lied to the world in order to decimate one their neighboring countries and may be on the brink of repeating it to another. Do you really think that American dignitaries who are head bare and wearing pants is going to have any positive impact at this particular stage of the game?

My feminist ideals are strong and well HB3 but world peace is first and formost in my head!

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 11:36 AM

Sorry guys, looks like I was writing in advance of the Washington Post here...the Washington frickin' Post, for chrissake....

Pratfall in Damascus
Nancy Pelosi's foolish shuttle diplomacy
Thursday, April 5, 2007; A16

HOUSE SPEAKER Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) offered an excellent demonstration yesterday of why members of Congress should not attempt to supplant the secretary of state when traveling abroad. After a meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in Damascus, Ms. Pelosi announced that she had delivered a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that "Israel was ready to engage in peace talks" with Syria. What's more, she added, Mr. Assad was ready to "resume the peace process" as well. Having announced this seeming diplomatic breakthrough, Ms. Pelosi suggested that her Kissingerian shuttle diplomacy was just getting started. "We expressed our interest in using our good offices in promoting peace between Israel and Syria," she said.

Only one problem: The Israeli prime minister entrusted Ms. Pelosi with no such message. "What was communicated to the U.S. House Speaker does not contain any change in the policies of Israel," said a statement quickly issued by the prime minister's office. In fact, Mr. Olmert told Ms. Pelosi that "a number of Senate and House members who recently visited Damascus received the impression that despite the declarations of Bashar Assad, there is no change in the position of his country regarding a possible peace process with Israel." In other words, Ms. Pelosi not only misrepresented Israel's position but was virtually alone in failing to discern that Mr. Assad's words were mere propaganda.

Ms. Pelosi was criticized by President Bush for visiting Damascus at a time when the administration -- rightly or wrongly -- has frozen high-level contacts with Syria. Mr. Bush said that thanks to the speaker's freelancing Mr. Assad was getting mixed messages from the United States. Ms. Pelosi responded by pointing out that Republican congressmen had visited Syria without drawing presidential censure. That's true enough -- but those other congressmen didn't try to introduce a new U.S. diplomatic initiative in the Middle East. "We came in friendship, hope, and determined that the road to Damascus is a road to peace," Ms. Pelosi grandly declared.

Never mind that that statement is ludicrous: As any diplomat with knowledge of the region could have told Ms. Pelosi, Mr. Assad is a corrupt thug whose overriding priority at the moment is not peace with Israel but heading off U.N. charges that he orchestrated the murder of former Lebanese prime minister Rafiq al-Hariri. The really striking development here is the attempt by a Democratic congressional leader to substitute her own foreign policy for that of a sitting Republican president. Two weeks ago Ms. Pelosi rammed legislation through the House of Representatives that would strip Mr. Bush of his authority as commander in chief to manage troop movements in Iraq. Now she is attempting to introduce a new Middle East policy that directly conflicts with that of the president. We have found much to criticize in Mr. Bush's military strategy and regional diplomacy. But Ms. Pelosi's attempt to establish a shadow presidency is not only counterproductive, it is foolish.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 06_pf.html

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-05-2007 11:50 AM

Snippet:

Pelosi shrugged off White House criticism of her visit, saying in Lebanon on Monday that it was an “excellent idea” for her and other lawmakers — Democrats and Republicans alike — to go to there. “We have no illusions but great hopes” for her talks with Assad, Pelosi said.

“It’s interesting because three of our colleagues, who are all Republicans, were in Syria yesterday and I didn’t hear the White House speaking out about that,” Pelosi said Monday, referring to the Sunday meeting of Reps. Frank Wolf, Joe Pitts and Robert Aderholt with Assad in Damascus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17930075

SETIsLady
Pirate

Why Pelosi's visit to Damascus upset the neocons so much

Post by SETIsLady » 04-05-2007 11:51 AM

Neoconservative hawks have clearly had their feathers ruffled by US Speaker Nancy Pelosi's trip to Damascus this week. The neocons, whose ranks include both officials and armchair intellectuals with considerable influence in the United States, Israel and even here in Lebanon, insist that Pelosi's move sent all the wrong messages to the region's "terrorists" and "terrorist enablers." A better approach, they argue, would be to continue to try to pressure and ignore states like Syria and Iran until they eventually collapse into submission.

But their prescription constitutes a willful denial of certain regional realities. Like it or not, Iran and Syria, for historic and geographic reasons, do have considerable influence in places like Palestine, Iraq and Lebanon, and no amount of bullying can reduce their sway. What can change, however, is how these states use their leverage, and as we have seen, they can either help secure stability or create chaos in other countries. Obviously, isolation and intimidation give them no incentive to play nice.

But neocons cringe at the idea of opening channels of dialogue with Damascus and Tehran. Put simply, they prefer to demonize, rather than deal with, their political rivals. And that is exactly the tactic that they are employing when they say that Pelosi committed an error - or worse - by visiting Damascus. Pelosi is no traitor; she is a public servant of the American people and is acting to promote their interests and opinions, as expressed during November's elections. In fact, she would do well to take her trip to Syria a step further and also open channels of dialogue with Iran, as recommended by the bipartisan Baker-Hamilton report

But Pelosi can't do everything on her own. Local actors need to remember that dialogue is a two-way street, and the American speaker's bold actions need to be matched with reciprocal gestures from those who are in the neocons' crosshairs. Syria, Iran and even groups like Hizbullah should now step up their efforts to keep the lines of communication clear and open and to challenge the faulty notion that they are bent on destabilizing the region.

Syria, for example, could do more to articulate its willingness to accept the new reality in Lebanon - and it could do so without sacrificing its own national interests. For Iran, releasing the 15 British sailors and marines captured in the Gulf was a good start, but a more pragmatic approach to the diplomatic struggle over its nuclear program might prompt similar moderation from the United States and other Western countries. The same is true of Hizbullah, a party that neocons like to portray as a foreign force in Lebanon that rejects integration, even though the party is an authentic and natural expression of local realities. The only way to counter false perceptions is for Hizbullah to make its positions on local issues less ambiguous.

Breaking down barriers of isolation will require action from both sides of the diplomatic divide. That is why the neocons are howling over Pelosi's visit: The realization of their ambitions requires continued hostility and instability in order to justify additional meddling in the Middle East.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp ... e_id=81214

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-05-2007 11:53 AM

Raggedyann wrote: Snippet:
“It’s interesting because three of our colleagues, who are all Republicans, were in Syria yesterday and I didn’t hear the White House speaking out about that,” Pelosi said Monday, referring to the Sunday meeting of Reps. Frank Wolf, Joe Pitts and Robert Aderholt with Assad in Damascus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17930075

Actually there is another one there today.

U.S. Congressman Darrell Issa meets Syrian president in Damascus

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 11:53 AM

The Washington Post aren't neocons. Do you get it yet?

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-05-2007 11:56 AM

HB3 wrote: The Washington Post aren't neocons. Do you get it yet?
Yeah I got HB3, got you a long time ago. My article was not posted to your article in the Washington Post. My article was posted in response to the nonsense coming out of the Whitehouse, and the Neocons that have their underwear in a bunch over her visit.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 11:58 AM

So the answer is "no."

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-05-2007 12:00 PM

HB3, it is clear it is YOU that isn't getting it.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 12:02 PM

Hey, even the Washington Post gets it. If the Washington Post isn't taking your side, you'd do well to consider it. I'd love to see everyone on this thread address it specifically, but it isn't going to happen, is it?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 12:04 PM

In other words, Ms. Pelosi not only misrepresented Israel's position but was virtually alone in failing to discern that Mr. Assad's words were mere propaganda.

This is not diplomacy, this is incompetence.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-05-2007 12:11 PM

HB3 wrote: Hey, even the Washington Post gets it. If the Washington Post isn't taking your side, you'd do well to consider it. I'd love to see everyone on this thread address it specifically, but it isn't going to happen, is it?

The Washington Post is still the "media" and the media has fallen far short of telling the American people the truth. Doesn't much matter to me anymore what media outlet says what. I glean what I want out of all that I read from all sources and make up my own mind, as are millions of other folks now doing in North America.

Obama's $25 million has been donated primarily from ordinary citizens. What does that signify to you HB3?

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 12:16 PM

Right on, but the point is the Post has a certain liberal cache...it's not a "neocon rag" by any stretch of the imagination. It's got lots of Democratic street cred. Therefore, the editorial has a certain interesting "man bites dog" quality.

I agree that what's relevant is the logic of the points being made. The Post editorial makes logical points worthy of debate -- instead I get "I got YOU a long time ago." Nice.
Last edited by HB3 on 04-05-2007 12:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-05-2007 12:20 PM

Anyway, judging by the comments after the Post article, we're now supposed to accuse Israel of lying to make Nancy look bad.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-05-2007 12:26 PM

HB3 wrote: Right on, but the point is the Post has a certain liberal cache...it's not a "neocon rag" by any stretch of the imagination. It's got lots of Democratic street cred. Therefore, the editorial has a certain interesting "man bites dog" quality.

Perhaps the idea of "dialogue" and "diplomacy" is unnerving to the PTB. They just aren't used to the idea yet, especially since it has been initiated by a woman! Hopefully, we are on the precipice of a new dawn and a new day!
Last edited by Raggedyann on 04-05-2007 12:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Politics and Government Pre-2007”