"Robots are being created that can think, act, and rela

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Bob-C
Pirate

"Robots are being created that can think, act, and rela

Post by Bob-C » 07-30-2011 06:42 AM

Hi everyone, according to an article from nationalgeographic.com by Chris Carroll and Max Aguilera-Hellweg entitled, "Robots are being created that can think, act, and relate to humans. Are we ready?":
'In five or ten years robots will routinely be functioning in human environments,' says Reid Simmons, a professor of robotics at Carnegie Mellon.

Such a prospect leads to a cascade of questions. How much everyday human function do we want to outsource to machines? What should they look like? Do we want androids like Yume puttering about in our kitchens, or would a mechanical arm tethered to the backsplash do the job better, without creeping us out? How will the robot revolution change the way we relate to each other? A cuddly robotic baby seal developed in Japan to amuse seniors in eldercare centers has drawn charges that it could cut them off from other people. Similar fears have been voiced about future babysitting robots. And of course there are the halting attempts to create ever willing romantic androids. Last year a New Jersey company introduced a talking, touch-sensitive robot 'companion,' raising the possibility of another kind of human disconnect.

In short: Are we ready for them? Are they ready for us?

Click on this URL ---> http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/ ... rroll-text for the article, pictures, and relevant links.

Also, see this link from --->
http://www.androidworld.com/index.htm

Are you now living and/or working with a robot/android/humanoid or planning to do so in the future? Do you think androids would do a better job on balancing the budget and/or voting on raising the debt ceiling? Would you prefer to vote for an android rather than the current politicians on all sides?

Enjoy and have a great weekend. :)

Bob-C

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 07-31-2011 07:13 AM

• Are you now living and/or working with a robot/android/humanoid or planning to do so in the future?
Having worked in manufacturing for the last 30 years I've been exposed to many robotic devices, mostly the arm-like machines but some devices that would do the work of 4 people in one operation in a tenth the time. All I've seen were only semi-autonomous, requiring tight programming and continuous maintenance and supervision. We are still a ways off from anything close to humanoid iRobots running around on their own. But there currently are self-driving cars, robotic snow-blowers with GPS and even the little self-controlled room vacuums that are proof we are moving fast in this direction.
  • Do you think androids would do a better job on balancing the budget and/or voting on raising the debt ceiling?
Budgets are numbers..robots do numbers very well. It's humans that get creative with arithmetic..a robot couldn't stray from the logic of math, unless programmed to.
  • Would you prefer to vote for an android rather than the current politicians on all sides?
I think I may write-in Watson in 2012.:rolleyes:
  • Enjoy and have a great weekend.
You too! Thanks for the thread and links. I was going to comment on how hideous the androidworld.com site looked, but after clicking around there it seems this guy is very serious about his craft. He's got a love for color, too, lol. Good t' see ya! :cool: :D
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-31-2011 08:17 AM

Dale O Sea wrote:
  • Do you think androids would do a better job on balancing the budget and/or voting on raising the debt ceiling?
Budgets are numbers..robots do numbers very well. It's humans that get creative with arithmetic..a robot couldn't stray from the logic of math, unless programmed to.

And it depends on who puts in the numbers. Computers are very good at crunching only the data that they are given.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Bob-C
Pirate

Post by Bob-C » 08-01-2011 01:58 PM

Dale O Sea wrote:
  • Are you now living and/or working with a robot/android/humanoid or planning to do so in the future?
Having worked in manufacturing for the last 30 years I've been exposed to many robotic devices, mostly the arm-like machines but some devices that would do the work of 4 people in one operation in a tenth the time. All I've seen were only semi-autonomous, requiring tight programming and continuous maintenance and supervision. We are still a ways off from anything close to humanoid iRobots running around on their own. But there currently are self-driving cars, robotic snow-blowers with GPS and even the little self-controlled room vacuums that are proof we are moving fast in this direction.
  • Would you prefer to vote for an android rather than the current politicians on all sides?
I think I may write-in Watson in 2012.:rolleyes:
  • Enjoy and have a great weekend.
You too! Thanks for the thread and links. I was going to comment on how hideous the androidworld.com site looked, but after clicking around there it seems this guy is very serious about his craft. He's got a love for color, too, lol. Good t' see ya! :cool: :D

Hi Dale O Sea, nice to hear from you. :) Thanks for all your comments and insights. :) I hope that you enjoy the following article and video about the MakerBot.

Have a great day.

Bob

Bob-C
Pirate

Post by Bob-C » 08-01-2011 01:59 PM

voguy wrote: And it depends on who puts in the numbers. Computers are very good at crunching only the data that they are given.

Hi voguy, thanks for your comments. :)

Bob

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-02-2011 09:11 AM

Bob-C wrote: Hi Dale O Sea, nice to hear from you. :) Thanks for all your comments and insights. :) I hope that you enjoy the following article and video about the MakerBot.

Have a great day.

Bob

that makerbot is cool :) I came very close to building a http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page with some linux geeks around here... never took off though.

I cannot wait until 3d printers are commonplace.

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: "Robots are being created that can think, act, and

Post by Diogenes » 08-02-2011 11:22 AM

Bob-C wrote: Hi everyone, according to an article from nationalgeographic.com by Chris Carroll and Max Aguilera-Hellweg entitled, "Robots are being created that can think, act, and relate to humans. Are we ready?":

Click on this URL ---> http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/ ... rroll-text for the article, pictures, and relevant links.

Also, see this link from --->
http://www.androidworld.com/index.htm

Are you now living and/or working with a robot/android/humanoid or planning to do so in the future? Do you think androids would do a better job on balancing the budget and/or voting on raising the debt ceiling? Would you prefer to vote for an android rather than the current politicians on all sides?

Enjoy and have a great weekend. :)

Bob-C

I remember seeing the Spielberg movie Artificial Intelligence and finding it so creepy and I was uncomfortable the entire time. I was thinking to myself then Spielberg knows something at least I don't know (impossible I say):D

It was not long after that I either became more aware (via Art) or was listening with both ears that this concept was not all that far off.

I do find it creepy.
A man's character is his fate

Bob-C
Pirate

Post by Bob-C » 08-03-2011 11:09 AM

Fan wrote: that makerbot is cool :) I came very close to building a http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page with some linux geeks around here... never took off though.

I cannot wait until 3d printers are commonplace.

Hi Fan, nice to hear from you, I'm glad that you liked the MakerBot article. :) Thanks for sharing your robot experience and for the reprap.org article. :)

Best,

Bob

Bob-C
Pirate

Re: Re: "Robots are being created that can think, act,

Post by Bob-C » 08-03-2011 11:14 AM

Diogenes wrote: I remember seeing the Spielberg movie Artificial Intelligence and finding it so creepy and I was uncomfortable the entire time. I was thinking to myself then Spielberg knows something at least I don't know (impossible I say):D

It was not long after that I either became more aware (via Art) or was listening with both ears that this concept was not all that far off.

I do find it creepy.

Hi Diogenes, nice to hear from you, thanks for your comments. :)
See Sentient Development for an article related to the important ramifications regarding robots and AI that you mentioned.

Best,

Bob

Diogenes
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: "Robots are being created that can think, a

Post by Diogenes » 08-03-2011 12:03 PM

Bob-C wrote: Hi Diogenes, nice to hear from you, thanks for your comments. :)
See Sentient Development for an article related to the important ramifications regarding robots and AI that you mentioned.

Best,

Bob

We have gotten too smart - chilling.:(

And this is just what we know of.
A man's character is his fate

Bob-C
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Robots are being created that can thin

Post by Bob-C » 08-03-2011 03:50 PM

Diogenes wrote: We have gotten too smart - chilling.:(

And this is just what we know of.

You're right on target Diogenes.