Build your own computer!

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 11-05-2011 12:40 AM

http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/608581

Doesnt seem very hard @ all......

I think i would get 'LOST' however in trying that project!!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-07-2011 12:05 PM

Dude111 wrote: http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/608581

Doesnt seem very hard @ all......

I think i would get 'LOST' however in trying that project!!

hehe I have built my own systems since I first began, you can be sure of good pieces and you can fix it if it breaks. I feel about this as I do about cooking, if you do it yourself you can use good quality food, and you know where it came from.

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-07-2011 06:44 PM

Building is super easy and by far the way to go. Hardware is basically Plug & Pray and you put in it what you want from the start as opposed to upgrading what you've already bought.

And its cheap. I remember when I built my PII350 I was paying $300 for a 512Mb strip of PC133 RAM.
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

bobbo
Banned

take the plunge

Post by bobbo » 11-15-2011 01:57 AM

I thought the OP link would be to some monster. YES==like art==a computer is always better if you build it yourself. Just take the cover off your own and stare at the parts. There are only 5-6 or 10-11 parts there. I bought off the shelf to start and have built 4 since then. I "know" my computer. Go to TomsHardware.com. Every 3 months they have a review of how to build 3 different computers--beginners, medium, and full tilt gamer. That will give you the parts that are all compatible with one another===and thats really the main cautions. Parts is parts but its well known what does actually work. If still not comfy==the web has many how to videos showing exactly how to do every thing.

Its a wonderful thing to be comfortable with technology===even when it is just an illusion.

If anyone wants to do it and has questions along the way--just ask various forums. DIY'ers love to help.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 11-15-2011 07:20 PM

I've got to build several PCs soon, as I have a few that have seen better days. (most Dells, which are an amazing POS).

I'm looking mainly at audio/video editing and music production stuff.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

bobbo
Banned

doing stuff is fun

Post by bobbo » 11-15-2011 07:30 PM

voguy--I envy you. I have enjoyed each machine I have built. I actually have to restrain myself from building new ones "just for fun." I enjoy making case modifications and disigning my own little holders and bits.

I can't tell if you are just saying, or want help, or just a kibbitz? I am no expert. Just enjoy the challenge. First time, I had a friend who knew nothing either and we enjoyed looking over each other's shoulder.

Two items concerned me. One was putting the RAM in the slots. Don't want to break those sensitive parts. I went to the local Fry's and they have motherboards on display with Ram chips inserted. I played with them in the store. Snapping the memmory in and out. I have no fear about that now.

Same with the cooling fan hold down clip. Don't want to break anything overcoming the over center locking cam arrangement. That still is a bit tricky. When the resistance is too much--you need to wiggle the structure into a better position. You have to be "firm" but never force.

GO for it. Even a tragic mistake will be worth the effort==and then will be in the past.

Return to “Technology”