Homeless People as WiFi Hot Spots?

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

SquidInk

Homeless People as WiFi Hot Spots?

Post by SquidInk » 03-13-2012 11:18 AM

http://homelesshotspots.org/

http://www.wpix.com/wpix-homeless-hot-s ... 4047.story

Is this good or bad?? Mutually beneficial, or a process that will turn humans into hardware?
NEW YORK (WPIX)— We all know how handy a mobile hotspot can be in a crowded, open area. That's especially true this year in Austin, Texas, - the site of this year's annual South by Southwest interactive festival in Austin, Texas.

But there is a controversy brewing over something - or someone - called a "Homeless Hotspot."

A homeless man named Clarence was one of thirteen homeless people who we're given mobile hotspot devices. They spent the weekend walking around the festival providing "pay as you go" WiFi access. Their services were scheduled to med Monday.

Their recommended fee was relatively reasonable - two bucks for 15 minutes. That's plenty of time to post that all important Twitter update.

The New York City-based marketing firm BBH partnered with a local homeless shelter in Austin - and handed out the hot spot devices to Clarence and the others as a quote, "charitable experiment" designed to give the less fortunate a chance to digitize the "street newspapers for sale" business model.

But critics immediately jump all over the campaign - calling it, among other things - shameful, patronizing, and de-humanizing.
Last edited by SquidInk on 03-13-2012 12:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 03-14-2012 02:33 AM

Hey, if they're willing to do it, and they're being paid to do this, it may just result in helping others while getting them back into society.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-14-2012 10:06 AM

I don't have much of a problem with it, except that they were not paid minimum wage as far as I can tell, so it is actually illegal from what I understand :)

We have a store near here that hires people to stand outside in winter holding sale signs. It is rather strange since there are signs on poles all over the place, so I don't see why they would do this.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-14-2012 04:25 PM

Like this guy?...

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 03-14-2012 08:10 PM

Xactly!

Its kind of mean i think.. Taking advantage of them.. WHY NOT PROVIDE THEM WITH A HOUSE OR SHELTER OF SOME KIND?

Return to “Technology”