SW on a Stream

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

voguy
Pirate

SW on a Stream

Post by voguy » 03-12-2016 12:28 PM

I know some of you don't own a shortwave radio. And some who might consider it will also find it inconvenient to use. Here is a solution. World Radio Network.

This is a small UK radio network which acts as an aggregator of feeds from international stations in Europe. The very first thing from the web site is to select the language. Choices are English, Deutsch, Français, and Русский. Then look at the schedules. Note: The first thing I had to get used to is their pronunciation of schedule. :D (Sort of like the difference between someone from Canada and the United States pronouncing "process" or "about".)

Let's assume you clicked English and North America. You then get one of the stations which is broadcasting at the time, (in rotations with others), which has news and public affairs programming.

What you will find is different views, often conflicting with each other. For example, China and Korea often take different takes. During Bill Clinton's troubles with Monica most broadcasters took a "shame" standpoint to Bill's actions, while RTE (Ireland) had a classic Irish announcer saying, "Just quick picking on him, and let him have fun. He didn't do anything you or I wouldn't do." Yes, you find a lot of difference. And a lot of times you'll hear things not so kind to Canada or the United States.

So the next time you are up in the middle of the night, and George has Open Lines with some goofball spewing crazy rhetoric, here is the alternative to your brain exploding.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Technology”