Win 10

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Win 10

Post by kbot » 03-14-2016 05:44 AM

Some people got a rude MS wake-up over the weekend.......

Microsoft upgraded users to Windows 10 without their OK

This weekend's Windows 10 upgrade has users angry, and it's unclear if the ploy will continue

Although I've seen sporadic reports of forced Windows 10 upgrades appearing out of the blue for several weeks now, the complaints really started piling up Friday evening. More and more Windows 7 and 8.1 customers are complaining that Microsoft upgraded their computers to Windows 10 -- and they didn't do anything to bring it on.

For some people, that's a nuisance. For others, it's considerably more than a Microsoft "accident" like the kind we saw last October.

Skimming lightly through the Reddit deluge, I found comments like these:

"I needed to set up my department's bronchoscopy cart quickly for someone with some sick lungs … when I turned on the computer it had to do a Windows update."
"Saw this message box that said something like 'Your update is ready! Restarting and installing in 13 minutes.' If I made myself a meal or watched TV, I would have had Windows 10. Oh, and the best part is how they hid the Decline button in the More Info button."
"I thought my ex was crazy when she said her computer just randomly rebooted and started installing Windows 10. I guess she isn't crazy -- at least on this one thing."
"Yep, this happened to me this morning. Working, and all of a sudden Windows closed all my programs, logged me out, and started the upgrade. I quickly shut down my computer and was able to stop it, but my son wasn't so lucky. Same thing happened to him today. It is very concerning that they have this kind of access to push these updates without our consent. What else is being pushed through our computers or being pulled off in the background without us knowing?"
"We've been getting calls trickling in all week from doctor's offices, dental practices, B&Bs, and roofing companies -- among others -- that have been hit by this and it's a ******* mess. In some cases the upgrade went OK and the user is just really confused. In others Windows 10 is asking for a login password the user set years ago and hasn't used since; that was fun. In still another it's screwed up access to their shared folders. I'm >this< close to telling the techs to disable automatic updates completely for all business customers."

Those are just the more printable versions.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/304352 ... ir-ok.html

Do anything to get that spyware installed, I guess........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

voguy
Pirate

Re: Win 10

Post by voguy » 03-14-2016 07:03 PM

There is a very nasty bug, (which if you Google it, you can find many pissed off users), including myself, which when upgrading it takes away your NIC. In my case I foolishly left the PC on at night, it rebooted and did an automatic upgrade. In the morning I found it was Win10. I didn't mind until I found there was no way to get on line. There are NO drivers for the network card whatsoever, and Microsoft says "Sorry, but if you BUY a copy we'll find something that will work." I used Clonezilla and brought my machine mack to Win7 and then disabled the upgrade.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-14-2016 07:28 PM

This is what I did to get rid of Win 10

Follow link below and follow instructions at that link.

INSTRUCTIONS
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-14-2016 11:43 PM

Well, I had updates last night install last night, sans Win 10, fortunately. I've had the upgrade disabled for some time. But what surprised me is automatic updates were turned on, and that's not something I recall doing; I don't think it's senility.
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 03-15-2016 06:17 PM

Riddick wrote:Well, I had updates last night install last night, sans Win 10, fortunately. I've had the upgrade disabled for some time. But what surprised me is automatic updates were turned on, and that's not something I recall doing; I don't think it's senility.
I had to keep turning mine off until I found the fix to take out the upgrade. Once on your machine it will TRY to upgrade when it can. It's a friggin virus, if you ask me.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 03-16-2016 01:01 AM

Mark Evanier relates his not so pleasant Win 10 upgrade experience

"I phoned Microsoft Tech Support and got connected to a man who was not on this continent and maybe not on this planet, either."

Full story http://www.newsfromme.com/2016/03/14/just-midnight-2/
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 03-21-2016 02:32 PM

the NSA needs you to have the latest spy system installed for them.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Return to “Technology”