AI Will Create 'Useless Class' Of Human, Predicts Bestselling Historian

Leading edge technology. Nanobots, gen tech, zero gravity?

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

AI Will Create 'Useless Class' Of Human, Predicts Bestselling Historian

Post by Riddick » 05-21-2016 01:14 AM

Robots on display at a technology fair in Shanghai

The future as predicted by Yuval Noah Harari, a lecturer at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, in his new book Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow, means more of us will be pushed out of employment by intelligent robots and on to the economic scrap heap.

Harari calls it “the rise of the useless class” and ranks it as one of the most dire threats of the 21st century. In a nutshell, as artificial intelligence gets smarter, more humans are pushed out of the job market. No one knows what to study at college, because no one knows what skills learned at 20 will be relevant at 40. Before you know it, billions of people are useless, not through chance but by definition.

Modern political and economic structures were built on humans being useful to the state: most notably as workers and soldiers, Harari argues. With those roles taken on by machines, our political and economic systems will simply stop attaching much value to humans, he argues.

As we sapiens have a knack for hashing things up, instead of morphing into omnipotent, all-knowing masters of the universe, the human mob might end up jobless and aimless, whiling away our days off our nuts on drugs, with VR headsets strapped to our faces. Welcome to the next revolution.

All of which leads to the question: what should we do? “First of all, take it very seriously,” Harari says. “And make it a part of the political agenda, not only the scientific agenda. This is something that shouldn’t be left to scientists and private corporations. They know a lot about the technical stuff, the engineering, but they don’t necessarily have the vision and the legitimacy to decide the future course of humankind.”

FULL STORY
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Re: AI Will Create 'Useless Class' Of Human, Predicts Bestselling Historian

Post by voguy » 05-21-2016 06:29 AM

AI doesn't have to be involve, Riddick. We already have a good portion of our society which contribute nothing.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 05-21-2016 06:57 AM

voguy wrote:AI doesn't have to be involve, Riddick. We already have a good portion of our society which contribute nothing.
Yeah, like we need to create even more opportunities to join the contribute nothing club. And that includes people who ARE employed, but don't create anything of value so much as merely shuffle sh!t around

If we let intelligent robots take the bullsh!t jobs, and leave the meaningful stuff to humans, mebbe that's the way to go - That is, provided we can't live without the bullsh!t. I'd say it'd be worth it to at least give BS-lessness a try. If that'd put a lot of high falutin' folks out of work, too bad!!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-21-2016 08:31 AM

Riddick wrote:If we let intelligent robots take the bullsh!t jobs, and leave the meaningful stuff to humans, mebbe that's the way to go - That is, provided we can't live without the bullsh!t.
A very respected banker friend told me this when we were discussing those who are low paid and doing menial jobs. "The world always needs people who pick up dog crap, and clean toilets. Not because we want people to do those jobs, but because there are people who can't do anything else in life that requires more thought or effort."

In the years I've been on this rock, and have worked in numerous businesses, I've seen this as true. From the guy who couldn't figure out how to put toilet paper on the dispenser in the men's room, to the girl who couldn't operate a photocopier in the office. And let's not lament on the fast food stories.

In radio, (and to some extent TV), I've seen automation take the place of the guy spinning records. To me, automation for assembly of the final product, while allowing creative people to feed the machine, makes sense and cents. But I also know people who were completely lost when DJ jobs ended and they couldn't play a record and talk. They had NO other skills or ambition to learn.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-21-2016 11:37 AM

Voguy:

"A very respected banker friend told me this when we were discussing those who are low paid and doing menial jobs. "The world always needs people who pick up dog crap, and clean toilets. Not because we want people to do those jobs, but because there are people who can't do anything else in life that requires more thought or effort."

A very wise statement, from an obviously wise man, Voguy. I listen to those demanding equality for humans that are definately NOT equal. I believe that all those who wish to work, will have all kinds of of opportunities coming at them, we will eventually get our butts into space which will create opportunities never thought of for man and machine. Hopefully, we will get through this dumbing down, destructive , turning man against man phase and get on with the "Show"! We are going to need all kinds of things to not only make our lives better, but a busy constructive world. We will always need the basics food, water, shelter those all have to be guided by a human hand. And can you imagine the exciting things to be discovered and utilized by the Sciences that are set free from the dumbed down, payola, game. Makes my mouth water just to think about it! Although I probably will not be here to enjoy, it is a legacy of HOPE, that I crave to leave.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Worth? Smarts? It Goes With The Job ... Well Not Always

Post by Riddick » 05-21-2016 04:42 PM

Good your banker bud's well respected, VO!! Not all financial folks are these days. Most community banking, there's value added; IMHO, in the large, it's often big bank bullsh!t shufflers that do less by way of creation than they do destruction -

Talking destruction, would you believe I had a manager with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering who put oil in her car's radiator? To her credit, it was only once. Still, at times too smart isn't a far cry from being too stupid for all but simple tasks.

-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 05-21-2016 06:11 PM

I've always wondered how someone with a fifth grade education, and no ability to interact in a civil social group, can feel they are entitled to be the boss with a high 5-figure annual pay. Even some of the TV guys I worked with, there were those who were sharp and then there were those who if someone didn't take pity on them would have no job at all.

I always remember one guy, who slept on the job, showed up late, was abusive to his wife, and couldn't be trusted to complete a job, (and stole from the company and coworkers) .... this schmuck had the gall to say that he deserved more money and better hours (come and go as he pleased).

Automation/AI and other technologies are tools. The smart man knows how to use the tools. The dumbest blame the tools.

Riddick
Pirate

Thar's Grate Minds In Them Thar Hills

Post by Riddick » 05-21-2016 07:01 PM

voguy wrote:I've always wondered how someone with a fifth grade education, and no ability to interact in a civil social group, can feel they are entitled to be the boss with a high 5-figure annual pay.
It's like they their got schooling in the Ozarks? Could be a rich uncle was always praising 'em for their educational achievement and opportunities for a career

Boss, brain surgeon or double nought spy. If only we ALL could be Jethro Bodine!

-Donald Trump Image

Return to “Technology”