U.S. to implement passport requirement

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

whskyfan
Pirate

Post by whskyfan » 11-22-2006 07:55 AM

I would think a real terrorist would just go to Mexico and walk across the border.

By BEVERLEY LUMPKIN, Associated Press Writer

(Updated Wednesday, November 22, 2006, 3:49 AM)

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Homeland Security Department will require virtually all air travelers entering the United States after Jan. 23 to show passports - even U.S. citizens.

Until now, U.S. citizens, travelers from Canada and Bermuda, and some travelers from Mexico who have special border-crossing cards for frequent visitors were allowed to show other proofs of identification, such as drivers' licenses or birth certificates.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff disclosed the effective date of the initiative in an interview with The Associated Press. The Homeland Security Department was planning to announce the change on Wednesday.

Chertoff said the change was a crucial next step to helping ensure the nation's security.

"Each of these steps raises the bar to an attack. None of this is perfect. None of them is foolproof. But we're always better off when we build higher levels of security," he said.

"Right now, there are 8,000 different state and local entities in the U.S. issuing birth certificates and driver's licenses," Chertoff said. Having to distinguish phony from real in so many different documents "puts an enormous burden on our Customs and Border inspectors," he said.

In a few cases, other documents still may be used for air entry into the U.S. by some frequent travelers between the U.S. and Canada, members of the American military on official business and some U.S. merchant mariners.

Under a separate program, Homeland Security plans to require all travelers entering the U.S. by land or sea, including Americans, to show passports or an alternative security identification card when entering the U.S. starting as early as January 2008.

The Homeland Security Department estimates that about one in four Americans has a passport. Some people have balked at the $97 price tag.

The Sept. 11 Commission said in its report, "For terrorists, travel documents are as important as weapons."

The commission recommended strengthening security of travel documents. A 2004 law passed by Congress mandated the change to require passports as the only acceptable travel document, with few exceptions, but the exact date had been in question.

Canadian officials and some members of Congress from border states have expressed concern that the changes could interfere with travel and commerce.

Chertoff said his agency's data revealed that in September 2006, 90 percent of passengers leaving from Canadian airports had passports. The department estimated that 69 percent of U.S. air travelers to Canada, 58 percent of U.S. travelers to Mexico, and 75 percent of U.S. travelers to the Caribbean hold passports.

"Could James Bond and Q come up with a fake passport?" Chertoff asked, referring to the fictional British spy and his espionage agency's technical genius. Of course, he replied, because "nothing is completely perfect."

Still, he said, with new technology, it is increasingly difficult to forge passports, and having just one document to scrutinize should make inspection easier for both inspectors and travelers.
1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 704D4P7 70 CH4NG3.
-573PH3N H4WK1NG

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 11-22-2006 09:00 AM

I've had my passport for some time now and have used it to cross the border south (to USA) last year. It's not a big deal for me, however, I'm wondering what other kinds of documents "they" will deem necessary.

I did notice that a motorist was being shouted at for missing a stop sign before the check-booth - it was totally unnecessary to get on like that and gave the impression that US border guards are under some pressure and have a short fuse. I like the US but hate having to cross a border with guards of hysterical tendency.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-22-2006 11:22 AM

I'm on my second passport (In US they are good for 10 yrs). Its so much easier when you travel than having to carry a lot of other papers.

I have heard the new passports will also have fingerprints. Current ones don't.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 11-22-2006 04:11 PM

What a proud, proud day for the country. :(
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

shockwave
Pirate

Post by shockwave » 11-29-2006 10:22 AM

This is nothing, the national ID card act is a done deal. By 2008 we will all start to get a national ID card. Its a RFID card readable anywhere the Gov. has a sensor. :mad:

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 11-29-2006 11:21 AM

How many states have DL's without pictures? Remember those? Many states have state ID cards with pictures for those non-drivers. Ever tried to cash a check or even write one without some kind of picture ID? Ever gone on a cruise or a vacation outside the USA??? (or Canada for our Canadian pirates) If you have you would know how long it takes to go through customs areas with copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and/or other ID...and can compare it to the passport.

How many ID cards do you have? Some with and some without pictures...

I've been expecting passports to have been required long before now - there was talk about it back in the 90s....

Return to “National”