Hollywood Fire 3/30/07@2:23pm

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

skydancer
Pirate

Post by skydancer » 03-31-2007 11:56 PM

Barb, I'd keep all your windows shut to keep all the smoke out.

You have a beautiful home, I see how you get your daily workout running up and down those stairs.

I'm fairly certain your safe.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 04-01-2007 02:43 AM

Can't post anymore - sorry, banned for bringing aliens into medical view.

Maybe Linnea will allow me to post the rest of the UFO Congress reviews when I get the DVDs;

if not you can find them in a month or so on:
http://www.ufoseek.com/forum/gforum.cgi?gforum

Copy this - it may not stay here long.
Last edited by Barbie on 04-01-2007 03:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-01-2007 04:22 AM

Barbie wrote: Can't post anymore - sorry, banned for bringing aliens into medical view.
:confused:

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-01-2007 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Barbie
Can't post anymore - sorry, banned for bringing aliens into medical view.

Maybe Linnea will allow me to post the rest of the UFO Congress reviews when I get the DVDs;

if not you can find them in a month or so on:
http://www.ufoseek.com/forum/gforum.cgi?gforum

Copy this - it may not stay here long.

Barbie - just for accuracy's sake, wouldn't it be better to post what actually happened - instead of starting upsetting rumors?

You know well you have not been banned from posting on this forum, especially by the admins. What happened was you posted something in Shirleypal's son in laws health thread which was upsetting to her - and she deleted it and communicated to you she did not feel your post was appropriate in that thread.

This is an emotional issue for her, and while her response may have been upsetting to you - it is at least understandable at that level. This is a serious event for her family, and an ongoing concern for them.

I hope you can rise above this - and have some understanding that this was not about you personally - and that you will continue to be a part of this community.

Sorry this happened.

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 04-01-2007 12:25 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Linnea, I knew there was more to it.

I didn't see the post, but I will say I admire Shirley's courage through this very trying period she and her family are going through. And I am proud to call her a dear friend of mine. I wish I had the strength that she has had.

Barbie, how about filling us in on the fire situation ?
Last edited by SETIsLady on 04-01-2007 12:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 04-01-2007 02:50 PM

+}j´+ªi]Originally posted by Linnea [/i]
Barbie - just for accuracy's sake, wouldn't it be better to post what actually happened - instead of starting upsetting rumors?

You know well you have not been banned from posting on this forum, especially by the admins. What happened was you posted something in Shirleypal's son in laws health thread which was upsetting to her - and she deleted it and communicated to you she did not feel your post was appropriate in that thread.

This is an emotional issue for her, and while her response may have been upsetting to you - it is at least understandable at that level. This is a serious event for her family, and an ongoing concern for them.

I hope you can rise above this - and have some understanding that this was not about you personally - and that you will continue to be a part of this community.

Sorry this happened.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, NO Linnea - I didn't know... I said I would tender my resignation if that would resolve the dispute. And I was told to go right ahead. Then, when I tried to log-in 3 minutes later, to delete my information from the membership, I received a message telling me my e-mail address had been "banned from the forum link, and I was not allowed to post or make changes." So I figured someone else was faster at the keyboard than I am.

Later on in the evening when I clicked to see if I could at least get back in by coming through Google, I saw that my name was registering, again. I don't know what happened between the time I tried to log-in and then sent you the private e-mail, and when I logged in several hours later. Change of heart, glitch... I don't honestly know. So, no... I truly didn't know I wasn't banned.

If you still want me to occasionally post, I will; but I hate the thought of feeling like I have to pretend to walk on egg-shells just to not be criticized and rebuffed.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 04-01-2007 03:06 PM

+}j´+ªi]Originally posted by Linnea [/i]

Sorry this happened.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, NO Linnea - I didn't know... I said I would tender my resignation if that would resolve the dispute. Then, when I tried to log-in 3 minutes later, to delete my information from the membership, I received a message telling me my e-mail address had been "banned from the forum link, and I was not allowed to post or make changes." So I figured someone else was faster at the keyboard than I was.

Later on in the evening when I clicked to see if I could at least get back in by coming through Google, I saw that my name was registering, again. I don't know what happened between the time I tried to log-in and then sent you the private e-mail, and when I logged in several hours later. Change of heart, glitch... I don't honestly know. So, no... I truly didn't know I wasn't banned.

If you still want me to occasionally post, I will; but I hate the thought of feeling like I have to pretend to walk on egg-shells just to not be criticized and attacked for something I feel might be quite pertinent, especially when I had only only Shirley's son's welfare and all others who have either had a transplant or will one day need a transplant at the forefront of my empathy and in my heart and my good intentions. The post could have simply been deleted, as a few others have been from time-to-time, and I would have thought nothing of it.

BTW, the Fire department is STILL making water drops, and have a fireline perimeter successfully established. I am told that although the fire is essentially "out" -- there will be continuous water drops and monitoring for the next week or so, because fire can remain in the roots of the dry/burned chaparral for many days. (I didn't know that--haven't had all that much experience with fire.) So we are not as worried, but we are still vigilant and ready to pack and leave on a moment's notice. Since it looks like this kind of preparedness is going to be a necessity for the rest of the year, 2007 looks like a time period when Howard and I won't be leaving the house TOGETHER for any reason. If we could get some rain, it would be a blessing for all of us canyon dwellers, but it doesn't look like a promising rain is going to grace us with it's presence.

SETIslady and all of you who are and have expressed your concern, thank you from the bottom of my heart. We are all, at one time or another, in the sights of Mother Nature, and when humans do stupid things that make a bad situation worse, we can only try to think positively and hope for the best.

Panache
Pirate

Post by Panache » 04-01-2007 03:09 PM

Hello, Barbie, I hope all is well for you in every realm today. Contact me, please.
The most valuable thing anyone daring to lead is to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience. Only such persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-01-2007 04:31 PM

Barbie - I want to be perfectly clear here. The admins of the Fantastic Forum were not in any way involved in any of this, and knew nothing of it.

You do not have 'to walk on eggshells' here on the forum.

You could have emailed me with your concerns about not being able to post. I was not aware of this.

I hope we can move on.

And, again, sorry this happened. I believe you may be able to understand there were some strong feelings and upset involved. I also understand that reaction was upsetting to you.

Let's put it behind us.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 04-01-2007 08:18 PM

Well, that should about do it, HJ. It is admirable for you to post in defense of your friend - but you have certainly slammed Barbie who is also feeling vulnerable at the moment.

There is private email for these kinds of observations. It is unfortunate for the rest of us you did not avail yourself of this course.

How much larger are we going to crank this issue?

This kind of thing does not belong on a public forum, and makes many very uncomfortable.

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 04-01-2007 08:32 PM

Fine. I've deleted the post, but Barbie's public comments deserve what they get. I have no desire to read her posts, much less email her privately.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 04-02-2007 02:53 AM

With one more statement, I will put this all to rest.

Linnea, I didn't say with whom or why this (ahem) misunderstanding occurred. You are the one who put names in this thread.

I honestly thought I really WAS banned, and that my posts would all just disappear... and no one would have any reason why. I suppose it would have been cavalier to just fade silently into the dark, but I felt attacked too. My home and dinner hour was interrupted and I was accused of making everything about ME, and about UFOs, when I meant absolutely no disrespect or harm to anyone with what I thought was a positive and benign comment.

You, Linnea, are the one who made the partners of the problem public, and if someone wants to hate me for standing up for myself, then so be it. Not even YOU knows the entire history of things which were said before this incident happened.

And like I said, this is my last post on this subject. DEAD ISSUE.

Barbie
Pirate

Post by Barbie » 04-02-2007 03:42 AM

Panache wrote: Hello, Barbie, I hope all is well for you in every realm today. Contact me, please.

Don't know how to do that, Panache, but here is a letter I wrote to the L.A. Times today, in response to a column written about the release of the young teens who started the fire.

-------------

So the two young arsonist teens - old enough to know better, but too affluent to be held in custody - have been allowed to return home to Illinois. How amazing is that?! True, they might return in 60 days for a hearing. But I'll bet if the parent(s) who can afford a private tutor, carry the proper Homeowners' Insurance Liability coverage, and have deep enough pockets, we've seen and heard the last of them. The City/County resources will be at least partly reimbursed, a fine might be levied and paid, the boys' arrests will be expunged when they turn 18, and we'll never see or hear about them again.

The reimbusements of the monies to fight the 160+-acre fire (which is still being fought, even though it's contained, and will require resources for another 7 days!) is a given; it should be paid - along with an appropriate fine for each negligent teen.

But what can never be reimbursed is the anguish suffered by the displaced/deceased wildlife, and all of us - those who were fighting the fire, and we who were scurrying around, gathering up our pets, our papers, deciding which heirlooms we dared salvage - all the while watching the smoke rise into the already polluted atmosphere and settle over our neighborhoods, causing an even greater health hazard.

Beachwood Canyon saw another fire in the 1960s. We were not so fortunate, then. Many homes were lost in that fire, and only historical review can recount the horrors those residents endured. Many of the people who were young then, and easily able to escape, still live here now. They are in their 70s and 80s. This threat was tragic for all of them. They suffered from the anxiety and from health issues, endeavoring to prepare for evacuation. One woman suffered a stroke early this morning, brought on by stress; an 85-year-old man had a heart attack after carrying items to his van, endeavoring to get his birds and family treasures into his car. His wife passed away three weeks ago, and all he has left are his memories. Now he may not recover to appreciate that he still has those memories intact. How does someone compensate for fear and other consequences like that?

True, we all dodged the bullet this time; there were no mandantory evacuations, no severely injured humans as a direct result of those boys' irresponsibility. We all survived, and are indeed lucky. VERY lucky. Our City Fire Department is close, and always on alert. We're a tinderbox, and we all are very much aware of it. That's why when we see tourists throwing cigarettes onto the side of the unpaved roads, we freak.

But I cannot help wondering... If these were immigrant teens, teens from a Muslim family, boys out here hoping for an acting job, or just your normal run-of-the-mill, middle class A students, with parents whose pockets are tapped out two days before payday - boys with no personal H.O. policy to guarantee a portion of recovery, would they have been granted the same favorable treatment and subsequent release?

I realize that every crime needs to be evaluated on its own merits; I'm not disputing that. But I also believe that if extradiction from Illinois becomes an issue, it will not be pursued. Therefore, any Community Service (i.e., working 120 hours inside various Fire Stations in the City) from which these boys might benefit long-term, probably won't materialize. Hopefully, they have already learned enough from this episode to never do this again.

I'm also certain that many of our own teens whose actions were no less similar, have paid a much higher price -- the loss of their freedoms and a humiliating stay in the California Youth Authority until they turn 18 or 21.

------------------------

Don't know what the rest of you think about this and the boys either. But when I was their age, I would NEVER have brought illegal fireworks to a state where it's banned, and I would never have been so uninformed about the current fire hazard conditions of my surroundings. By NOT spending any time in juvenile hall, or being remanded into custody until a hearing date, they - in my personal opinion - dodged a bigger bullet than we did. They have retained their innocence; we, on the other hand, are still recovering from our individual traumas, and as long as this drought persists, we will not be allowed to relax.

Panache
Pirate

Post by Panache » 04-02-2007 01:53 PM

Om Matta Barbie, click my name, you'll see how. :-)
The most valuable thing anyone daring to lead is to cultivate and convey to others is a moral conscience. Only such persons deserve to lead others, in any capacity.

Return to “National”