Moderator: Super Moderators

Waverider
Pirate

9 Years Later to the Day' 9/11

Post by Waverider » 09-11-2010 04:16 PM

I thought we would never forget.

Unless I'm totally lost here.

I was in hopes we would still remember.

Guess not...............................................

Maybe it hurts more than we would like to know.

Still.
Last edited by Waverider on 09-11-2010 04:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-11-2010 04:49 PM

Everything has changed so much since 9/11, Jeri. It seems like 90 years ago - and yesterday.
:(

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 09-11-2010 05:51 PM

Linnea wrote: Everything has changed so much since 9/11, Jeri. It seems like 90 years ago - and yesterday.
:(

I agree with that. I also think it has become so politicized (and even more so this year, IMO) and propagandized that it is difficult for most of us to approach with a clear mind and heart. I had hoped that it might be a better day of remembrance than is possible under present circumstances. It sill hurts, though. I think it always will because it was such a traumatic experience for us, both individually and at the collective level. (That spike on the Princeton 'eggs' chart didn't lie.)
Image Anchors Aweigh!

racehorse
Pirate

I will always remember September 11, 2001!

Post by racehorse » 09-11-2010 06:24 PM

-
racehorse

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 09-11-2010 06:53 PM

Not a popular thought I am sure, but 9/11 and what it has become and what it has made us into sickens me. I read an essay today by Robert Fisk. A British reporter he has lived in the Beirut for 30 years.
People love or hate Robert Frisk, but in either case one has to acknowledge that he has lived in the Middle East for more than 30 years and knows first hand what he is talking about.

Robert Fisk: Nine years, two wars, hundreds of thousands dead – and nothing learnt
Did 9/11 make us all mad? Our memorial to the innocents who died nine years ago has been a holocaust of fire and blood . . .
Did 9/11 make us all go mad? How fitting, in a weird, crazed way, that the apotheosis of that firestorm nine years ago should turn out to be a crackpot preacher threatening another firestorm with a Nazi-style book burning of the Koran. Or a would-be mosque two blocks from "ground zero" – as if 9/11 was an onslaught on Jesus-worshipping Christians, rather than on the atheist West.

read the rest, if you have the stomach...
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/co ... 76450.html
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 09-11-2010 07:25 PM

Probably not a popular thought today, Psychicwolf. Today - I am simply remembering the people who perished on that day. None of them are responsible for what happened afterward.

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 09-11-2010 07:54 PM

Wave, I experienced a similar frustration when I started a thread on Katrina...until a few Pirates came in and explained why they were staying away. Every year MSNBC -- and in this instance, they show the most class of all the cable-news-channels. CNN was doing a piece on the Ten Best Places to Get a Manicure or something -- shows the "Today Show" as it aired that morning, in real time. Because it was a Saturday this year, I was able to watch all three hours. At the end I was physically drained, and tried to then go to the documentaries on the History channel, but quickly found I couldn't take it anymore. I ended up watching "The Real Housewives of New Jersey Reunion" for the sixth time, just to de-compress. With some things, you just can't be pulled back into it, you know? Years go by, and you just can't be pulled back into it.

I hope that helps. It's because we'll never forget, that it's still so painful.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 09-11-2010 09:12 PM

I tried to write tonight. I can't, I'm sorry. There are days I can talk about it, and days I can't. I just can't tonight.

It never seems to get easier. I looked at Facebook tonight when I got home, and saw that it was just another day - I don't understand that.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 09-11-2010 10:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

Waverider
Pirate

Post by Waverider » 09-11-2010 10:20 PM

It is good to hear from you all.

I myself still feel today, as I did then.

In shock, as a witness to all the news of that unforgettable day.

And all the days since.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

Yes, words can never express that deep hurtful pit in our souls.

The pain is still too great.

May God Bless you all.

RIP' victims of a most horrible event to our nation.

We will never forget you.
Last edited by Waverider on 09-11-2010 10:23 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jon-Marcus
Pirate

Post by Jon-Marcus » 09-12-2010 12:56 AM

September 11.

In my mind;
It doesn't matter so much to me how it happened or why. What does matter is that on that day 3,000 lives were snuffed out of existence for no good reason that I can see. And millions more lives, to this day, still feel the effects.
To quote an Eagles song; "There's a hole in the world tonight."

9/11; Day of Mourning
"You have forgotten the face of your father." Roland Deschain

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 09-12-2010 01:38 AM

We were each awakened almost simultaneously from calls... mine from my brother; Rod's from my mother.
"WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!" she screamed to him, so loud I could hear it over the words of my brother, who was saying calmly, "Sis... don't panic, but planes have just flown into the WTC and the Pentagon."

I asked him if he'd spoken to Mom, and he said he hadn't; I wondered WHY he called me before he called her, and that still bothers me, to this day. She raised him; he was a lot closer to her than I ever was...

We immediately turned on the TV and saw the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower - live.

My mother was inconsolable; my brother, who had worked with national and international security for years said, "We had it coming. We've meddled too much in the foreign affairs of other countries, and I hate to say this, Sis, but I knew it would come back to bite us in the butt. I TRIED to warn my superiors that we were doing things we shouldn't be doing, but I was just a grunt... What did I know? But, Sis, I knew - I just knew that eventually someone would stand up against us. No one would listen."

My brother went on to say their attacks weren't right - weren't Christian - but that we had offended many Islamic People with our missionaries, our blatant disregard for their rights to govern their people according to their religions Laws, and now they were ready willing, and able to strike back.

I have never forgotten either of their words.

I don't think taking the lives of our 3000 people are right. But perhaps, later on, when we all get to where we're going after we die, we'll understand.

All I can hope is that we stop judging all Muslims and other religions by their radicals, which are the ONLY ones we always hear about. We never seem to hear about the GOOD people, here and abroad, who just worship their individual religions, and hope to live a good life and live to see their children grow up.

We all need to take a DEEP breath and realize that all religions have mostly good people. And those who have NO religion, but live life helping all those we can, are just good people.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

OMG
Pirate

Post by OMG » 09-12-2010 03:39 AM

Linnea wrote: . Today - I am simply remembering the people who perished on that day.

I feel the same.

Today is not a day for liberal anti-war protests and certianly not the days for some ego driven freak making a rally about some tea part political movement. It shouldn't be about building Mosque and shouldn't be about protesting against it.

This is a day to remember them, to honor them. to speak about them and not for them.

Return to “National”