Fox calls OBL death "illegal"

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-06-2011 07:23 PM

Iris wrote: Good point, Kbot. Obama accomplished in two years what Bush did not accomplish in eight. The GOP bragged that only Republicans can keep us safe, when the opposite has been proven true over and over, and now once again.

Here's another way to look at it. If you are clear that you're for peace, you can use that as a yardstick to measure any action. Does it support peace, or support more war? Airing these particular photos would support more war, more human suffering and death. I'm against that.

For what? The deathers would just say the pictures are photoshopped. Causing more suffering for that is unconscionable, IMO.

It's good enough for me that Congress is being shown the proof, and Al Qaeda has admitted OBL was killed by our military.

It's good to know that wicked evil man will never again hurt another person.

In my opinion, President Obama has taken the high road in refusing to share the photos with the public at large. Only bad could come of showing them.

Where the Bush administration lost me was, firstly, when they had OBL trapped at Tora Bora, and then they let him go. If that was their game plan, the why send troops into Afghanistan in the first place? Secondly was when the administration announced that capturing him just wasn't a priority anymore......call me a conspiracy theorist, but with OBL having known CIA connections, it just made me sick. Thankfully Obama stepped up and did what Bush was unwilling to do.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 05-06-2011 07:36 PM

kbot -- 1 - they did not have him trapped at Tora Bora.
2 - intelligence report had given the indication that he was there.
3 - troops went, the others (from intel reports) were there, Osama was not there.
4 - information regarding it came from the military who clearly stated the intel was wrong - oh there was al qaeda there and taliban - but not Osama.

However, the intel was good this time and I am glad they got him. Now we are putting up with all sorts of - conflicting information - he was armed, he wasn't armed - he had ak47 and a 9mm repeater within arms reach - he was on first floor - he was on the third floor - one woman was killed - the woman was shot in the leg. First it was one of his wives, then it was one of ladies of another man who lived there - first we hear it was a highly armed conflict - then we hear it wasn't.

All I truly care is that he is dead and both US CIA/Seals and his family - pakistan - al qaeda - all say yes he is dead.

NOW my concern is about repercussions from -- his former members. Threats are coming in stronger - the street scenes - signs coming from many places across the world.

Bobbi Snow
Pirate

Post by Bobbi Snow » 05-07-2011 01:51 AM

There may be plans to strike us back. But, look at the UK when they were being bombed, day-after-day, by Ireland Extremists... They DIDN'T allow fear from keeping them from going to work, going into London to shop, etc. Then look at how many years Israel has been bombarded by terrorists. And they still go on to Temple, do their shopping, go to their coffee houses, etc. We simply cannot allow all of OUR freedoms to be taken away in the hopes it will keep us safe. FEAR is the greatest downfall of Americans, and we need to stop thinking about what can happen, and just be prepared to die if we're in the wrong place when it does. It's no different than being on the highway and being taken out by a drunk driver. We all need Wills, we all need to be prepared for the worst, but not dwell on it. Thus far we have been kept safe, and not by taking off our shoes at the airports, not by being subjected to harmful x-rays and nasty searches by power-hungry TSA agents. It's been by intelligence reports and individuals who are sharp-eyed and not afraid to risk their own safety to protect others.

I'm far more afraid of the people who are listed on the "no-fly" list who are still allowed to purchase guns freely in many of our states, and people who are deemed unstable, but still not excluded from purchasing assault weapons.
ImageIf you're still breathing, it's not too late!

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-07-2011 07:50 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: kbot -- 1 - they did not have him trapped at Tora Bora.
2 - intelligence report had given the indication that he was there.
3 - troops went, the others (from intel reports) were there, Osama was not there.
4 - information regarding it came from the military who clearly stated the intel was wrong - oh there was al qaeda there and taliban - but not Osama.

No, he WAS at Tora Bora. We sent in special forces units specifically to capture him. SOMEONE in the Bush administration decided that the American units sent in wouold act in a subservient role to the very warlords wehad been fighting against in the previous months. Where our troops would fight day and night, these dolts would go home when the sun went down. According to eyewitness testimony, after days of fighting, we had OBL pinned-in on one side of the mountan range. The Pakistanis were on the other side, but they had orders from their government not to intefere with the fighting. Finally, at one point the Pakistanis alerted our troops that they could see OBL leaving with hs supporters, but, because of the arangement we had with the Afghanis, we were stuck. Nice "huggy/ feely" lack of planning.
Part of the confusion came in because one of OBL's couriers was using one of his cell phones, continuing the illusion that he was still there, when in fact, he had already left.....

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-07-2011 09:10 PM

kbot wrote: Where the Bush administration lost me was, firstly, when they had OBL trapped at Tora Bora, and then they let him go. If that was their game plan, the why send troops into Afghanistan in the first place? Secondly was when the administration announced that capturing him just wasn't a priority anymore......call me a conspiracy theorist, but with OBL having known CIA connections, it just made me sick. Thankfully Obama stepped up and did what Bush was unwilling to do.

Right!

"Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not... I don't know where he is. Nor do I -- you know, I just don't spend that much time on him to be honest with you."

-- George W. Bush, 2002

The Bush crime family didn't WANT to catch OBL. Too much money to be made doing the PNAC thing.

"No drama" Obama saw to it that getting bin Laden was slowly, meticulously planned out for 100% success. No strutting around on war ships wearing a cod piece and claiming "Mission Accomplished" when it wasn't for our current President. WTG Obama!
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-08-2011 05:30 AM

Iris wrote: Right!

"Who knows if he's hiding in some cave or not... I don't know where he is. Nor do I -- you know, I just don't spend that much time on him to be honest with you."

-- George W. Bush, 2002

The Bush crime family didn't WANT to catch OBL. Too much money to be made doing the PNAC thing.

I never felt comfortable with the close ties the Bush family and the House of Saud.......how OBL could go from our nation's #1 priority to a non-issue in less than a year was stunning.

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 05-08-2011 11:55 AM

Iris wrote: Right!

-- George W. Bush, 2002

I can imagine what a kick in the face this felt like to the families of the 9/11 victims.

I think everybody knows that Bush was the puppet of...

Cheney on 2/3 of Americans opposing the Iraq war "So what"?

March 19, 2008.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 05-08-2011 02:58 PM

Kbot, stunning is a good word for it. It floored me when I heard him say that, after his "dead or alive" promise of just a few months earlier. How could he turn his back on OBL, when OBL was plotting more ways to kill Americans?

Raggedy, yes that must have been very hard for them to hear those words. A very big slap in the face. Thank goodness Obama took our country's security seriously and eliminated this ongoing threat. It will be interesting to learn about all they are finding in the confiscated records. One can hope it will enable them to prevent more tragedies.
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-08-2011 07:05 PM

Iris wrote: Kbot, stunning is a good word for it. It floored me when I heard him say that, after his "dead or alive" promise of just a few months earlier. How could he turn his back on OBL, when OBL was plotting more ways to kill Americans?

Raggedy, yes that must have been very hard for them to hear those words. A very big slap in the face. Thank goodness Obama took our country's security seriously and eliminated this ongoing threat. It will be interesting to learn about all they are finding in the confiscated records. One can hope it will enable them to prevent more tragedies.

Early this morning I was making the rounds at the local cemetaries laying flowers on graves of my Mom, grandmothers, great-grand-mothers, great-great-grandmothers (see what happens when you get into geneaology????) and ABC ran a replay of their Kill Shot segment on the radio. And, as of this mornikng, ABC was still reporting that "according to American intelligence agencies, OBL was at Tora Bora. We had him trapped in the cave complex there, but, a decision was made in the Bush Administration to rely on Afghani warlords to capture him. The very same warlords we had been fighting with earlier......"

So, either American intelligence is wrong on this, and is attempting to undermine the US governmentg, or ABC is misreporting, but, this is the same story I've been hearing for nearly a decade now.......

Return to “National”