Gov't Finally Works to Protect the Grid

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lore
Pirate

Gov't Finally Works to Protect the Grid

Post by Lore » 06-18-2013 02:09 AM

Lights out: House plan would protect nation's electricity from solar flare, nuclear bomb

BY: PAUL BEDARD JUNE 17, 2013
Amid growing fears of a massive electromagnetic pulse hit from either a solar flare or a terrorist nuclear bomb, House Republicans on Tuesday will unveil a plan to save the nation's electric grid from an attack that could mean lights out for 300 million Americans.

Dubbed the Secure High-voltage Infrastructure for Electricity from Lethal Damage Act, the legislation would push the federal government to install grid-saving devices such as surge protectors to protect against an attack.

"It is critical that we protect our major transformers from cascading destruction. The Shield Act encourages industry to develop standards necessary to protect our electric infrastructure against both natural and man-made EMP events," said Rep. Trent Franks, the Arizona Republican who is offering up the bipartisan bill.

Electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, has come into focus because of fears the sun is pushing out unusually big solar flares that can disrupt the electric grid. Defense officials are also worried about a terrorist attack, possibly in the form of a small nuclear bomb exploded overhead.

"This is serious stuff," said former Pentagon official Frank Gaffney, who heads the Center for Security Policy. But, he added, there is a growing bipartisan consensus to protect the electric grid.

More HERE

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-18-2013 03:55 PM

...and unamazingly, this requires smart meters in everyone's homes, wipes out the ham bands and allows them to spy on you better. Right?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-18-2013 08:03 PM

As an EE back in the mid-80's, I had the opportunity to work on a contract for Ford Motors. The guy heading the project was keen to see EMP protection as part of a car's outfitting...

Nothing came of it. Apparently people could give a rip if their car suddenly stops working. 'Course, so much as lotsa other stuff'd crap out at the same time all around, odds are automotive availability may be the least of folks' worries!

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-18-2015 02:08 AM

I guess we all know now a growing bipartisan consensus to protect the grid doesn't mean anything gets done, eh? Well, that's not exactly true --

The Ruling Elites are working hard on Plan "B", when the grid goes down THEY'RE all well protected. In the event of an EMP, the needs of the Big Club wil be provided for, y'know? What's important for the important...

The general public? Fock 'em. The herd's long overdue for a major thinning out as it is.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-18-2015 11:05 AM

Riddick wrote: I guess we all know now a growing bipartisan consensus to protect the grid doesn't mean anything gets done, eh? Well, that's not exactly true --

The Ruling Elites are working hard on Plan "B", when the grid goes down THEY'RE all well protected. In the event of an EMP, the needs of the Big Club wil be provided for, y'know? What's important for the important...

The general public? Fock 'em. The herd's long overdue for a major thinning out as it is.

Nothing surprises..........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-18-2015 11:19 AM

the odds of an EMP going off and us worrying if our car will start or not seems unlikely since it would take a nuke to do it and I think we'd be a little more concerned about that.

Upgrading the grid is going to be done in order to better control and monitor the citizenry.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 06-18-2015 11:27 AM

Fan wrote: the odds of an EMP going off and us worrying if our car will start or not seems unlikely since it would take a nuke to do it and I think we'd be a little more concerned about that.

Upgrading the grid is going to be done in order to better control and monitor the citizenry.

I agree Fan, Also the danger of taking out their own stuff. I see this EMP thing more as a diverson at this point.
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 06-18-2015 12:00 PM

Besides solar flares doing the deed, check out the Project Woodpecker thread for another non-nuke (yet also selectively targeted!) EMP scenario...

But hey, TPTB in the US have done next to nothing to harden the grid, what's the worry anahoo... it's kinda like deficits and national debt. I mean, if exponentially escalating red ink's not enough to concern THEM, why should it concern any of US, right?

Don't worry, be happy, folks. Unprepared as YOU are personally, rest assured the Ruling Elite will be ready for the next financial meltdown or whatever. In the meanwhile, keep spending money you don't have and everything'll be fine, just fine.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-18-2015 12:37 PM

I am prepared. I don't need electricity for a while if it ever happens.

Riddick
Pirate

Y2K Was Kid's Stuff -- EMP Is The REAL DEAL!

Post by Riddick » 06-18-2015 01:55 PM

And now, an informational video presented as a public service in the interests of instilling hysteria, paranoia and panic and/or furthering personal preparedness!

But WAIT! There's MORE - A Classic Art Bell show from 2009! Check it out!
Last edited by Riddick on 05-18-2016 01:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-18-2015 06:33 PM

Fan wrote: I am prepared. I don't need electricity for a while if it ever happens.

Really????

Transportation? Gas pumps need electricity to work.

Toilets? At some point the sewer system/ septic system needs electricity.

Food? At some point you will need electricity, if only to make ice to preserve stuff......

Communications? Could get by a 12-volts I guess for a while.

I hope that you truly are prepared Fan. We had a few outages around here the past few years and it's amazing how different things feel after a while without power. Then......... you start thinking.......

A few years back, a bunch of us at the hospital had to get disaster training (NIMS) from FEMA - was very eye opening. Their website has a lot of useful free information that people might find interesting on how to survive extended times without power - but, certainly not for a decade...... :eek:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-18-2015 06:40 PM

kbot wrote: Really????

Transportation? Gas pumps need electricity to work.

Toilets? At some point the sewer system/ septic system needs electricity.

Food? At some point you will need electricity, if only to make ice to preserve stuff......

Communications? Could get by a 12-volts I guess for a while.

I hope that you truly are prepared Fan. We had a few outages around here the past few years and it's amazing how different things feel after a while without power. Then......... you start thinking.......

A few years back, a bunch of us at the hospital had to get disaster training (NIMS) from FEMA - was very eye opening. Their website has a lot of useful free information that people might find interesting on how to survive extended times without power - but, certainly not for a decade...... :eek:

I have a bike. Many batteries and battery powered appliances. Many large solar panels. Stockpiles of dehydrated food. A solar water still. I could have a wifi network for the neighbourhood up and running in about 20 minutes. I could be transmitting on my FM transmitter in 10 (assuming that survives). I have a large garden and am close to massive wooded areas. I am not in a city where things would get crazy. I am trained in first aid and CPR and have medical supplies. I have extensive camping equipment, warm clothes, stoves, gas, etc... big woodpile too and a wood burning oven.

I am not afraid of this stuff. Why? Because they want us to be, meaning it is fake. However, I am still prepared because it is easy to be, so why not.

We lost power for 12 days here during the ice storm, had a great time!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 06-18-2015 06:49 PM

could I survive for a decade when all humanity is gone? I like to think so. Would I want to? Who knows.

I was a pretty good boy scout, we did many survival camps. I spent a few days in the forest with 2 guys and we were given one single match and a knife. We made shelter, made a fishing sieve system, etc... was hard but by the end we had a comfy bed and enough food.

Remember humans survived much worse than a lack of electricity through the ages.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-19-2015 09:36 AM

Ahh yes - power outages due to what? right.. scare tactics again.

Solar battery systems work, wood stoves work, being prepared works - as anyone in the middle of the country who was around in 2003 during the severe ice storm that hit did have to survive weeks and for some over a month without power. We had power - anything 110 worked fine. People also had generators - those also worked. THAT was in the coldest time one can imagine.

Granted it was not for years or even one year but it did prove that one can do things. Just prepare the best one can for situations like that.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 06-19-2015 11:05 AM

Fan, I'm impressed.

I think that you hit a major issue with "the city". Extended outages will only mean runs on the stores, wiping out stocks, which will, if turned into a long-term issue, lead to worse things.

Return to “National”