The Greatest, Muhammad Ali Dies

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Raggedyann
Pirate

The Greatest, Muhammad Ali Dies

Post by Raggedyann » 06-04-2016 02:27 AM

Muhammad Ali, Dead at 74: The Greatest in the Ring and Greater Still Outside It

“Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.” ––William Shakespeare

Muhammad Ali was to sports what William Shakespeare was to language.
During the peak of his unforgettable career and controversial stands against America’s status quo, he risked death and grievous bodily harm to earn the world’s most recognizable face. Still more than his transcendent achievements in the ring, the mind, spirit, and heart that lay behind that face incited a revolution in the consciousness of his time.

More...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... de-it.html

This makes me very sad. I admired this man for his intellect and larger than life personality. I remember where I was when he fought Sonny Liston in Feb 1964. In a car with a bunch of other teenagers listening to the fight on the radio. We all laughed our heads off when he shouted "I am the greatest". He was in more ways than one.
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Riddick
Pirate

Re: The Greatest, Muhammad Ali Dies

Post by Riddick » 06-04-2016 02:57 AM

A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 06-04-2016 06:19 AM

Throughout his illness he was a fighter, not letting it get him down, and showing great courage in what he faced.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 06-04-2016 11:36 AM

I remember listening to the Liston fight from bed, while my dad listened in the living room.

I believe Ali was the greatest heavyweight "boxer" of all time.

His style, wit, and genius for promotion made him memorable.

Return to “National”