Defunding Sanctuary Cities

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Defunding Sanctuary Cities

Post by kbot » 12-04-2016 04:48 PM

Saw this earlier today, but it seems to be an idea that's been around for a while now.......

SF’s sanctuary city stance could threaten law enforcement funding

Law enforcement in The City could face a loss of federal dollars if promises by President-elect Donald Trump to defund sanctuary cities come true.

Trump has promised to defund cities like San Francisco that have policies protecting undocumented immigrants, though it remains unclear how and when those federal dollars would disappear. Mayor Ed Lee has promised to defend San Francisco’s sanctuary city status.

The number of dollars that could be lost differs for each of The City’s law enforcement agencies.

The San Francisco Police Department, with a 2015-16 budget of $566.3 million, receives millions linked to federal funding from a number of sources.

Direct federal funds only make up $1.8 million of the budget, but $52.7 million comes from state funding, and it’s unclear how much of that comes from federal grants via the state.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sfs-sanctuary ... t-funding/

The story I saw described a process where the Dept of Justice could pull back on funding community police, and in fact, pay back federal funding retroactively if communities do not cooperate with the DOJ in deporting aliens already in jail for committing crimes here.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Re: Defunding Sanctuary Cities

Post by Doka » 12-04-2016 11:51 PM

It has always been about money/funding. I am kind of excited to see what Trump does with this "sticky" mess. It is just a relief to know it won't be ignored any more. I have to commend our police for keeping , on ,keeping on, the squeeze for them has been coming from all fronts , sometimes I'm just amazed any body would give a crap to be a cop!
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-04-2016 11:57 PM

Off topic

Kbot, what blew up in Cambridge the other day?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-05-2016 05:42 AM

Doka wrote:It has always been about money/funding. I am kind of excited to see what Trump does with this "sticky" mess. It is just a relief to know it won't be ignored any more. I have to commend our police for keeping , on ,keeping on, the squeeze for them has been coming from all fronts , sometimes I'm just amazed any body would give a crap to be a cop!
I'm kinda amazed that anyone would want to be a cop myself anymore - it's one of those jobs where you can't please anyone.........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 12-05-2016 05:57 AM

Doka wrote:Off topic

Kbot, what blew up in Cambridge the other day?

Don't know the whole story, other than it appears to be residential buildings. This is from earlier today.......

Snippet:

As of Sunday evening, authorities had not yet released the cause of the fast-moving blaze that began Saturday shortly before 3 p.m. and displaced more than 100 people. Fire officials said the blaze was contained, though not under control, by 8 p.m. Saturday. Neighbors reported seeing flames as late as 3 a.m. Sunday.

The fire damaged 15 buildings, three badly enough that they must be razed, Cambridge police spokesman Jeremy Warnick said.

Firefighters from several communities were on scene Saturday afternoon at a 10-alarm fire in Cambridge, where multiple buildings were in flames.

Authorities were first alerted to the fire at a three-story house on Berkshire Street, which was undergoing renovations, as strong winds quickly turned it into a 10-alarm blaze, Reardon said.

“The timing couldn’t have been better,” Cambridge Deputy Fire Chief Tim Cahill said. “It happened during the day when not a lot of people were home.”

Though there were no deaths or serious injuries — which Cambridge Fire Chief Gerald Reardon called “miraculous” — the fire displaced 48 families, totaling 104 people, according to Neal Alpert, chief of staff to Cambridge Mayor E. Denise Simmons.

“This looks almost like a third-world country after a bombing,” Reardon said at a press conference Saturday night.

Sahida Akter lived with her husband, Mohammed Badsha Bepari, and their three children at St. Patrick’s Place, a former church on Berkshire Street that had been converted to affordable housing and was near the home that was undergoing renovations.

The building housed primarily immigrant families who largely did not have renters’ insurance, said Malika Rushdan, director of the Massachusetts chapter of the Islamic Circle of North America Relief, a Muslim nonprofit that offers disaster relief among other social services.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/ ... story.html

I haven't been to Cambridge since the 1970s - I remember that they had a ot of really nice, unique restaurants, and that whole 70s university culture of Harvard and MIT, but the town appears to have changed a lot since then.

One of my favorite things to do back then - just part of the experience of being there, going to restaurant, hunting in used bookstores and all was going to the Harvard Square news stand, which appears to now be on it was of becoming an anachronism......

Harvard Square Landmark Once Rooted in Print Faces Fight Over Its Future

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Julia Child was a regular customer, scouring the Out of Town News kiosk here for German and Italian cooking magazines.

John Kenneth Galbraith came to the kiosk every day to buy Le Monde.

And in 1975, a young man named Paul Allen picked up a copy of Popular Electronics with a picture of a boxy personal computer on the cover; he shared it with his friend Bill Gates, and, well, the rest is history.

For decades, the cluttered kiosk has catered to the eclectic, ink-stained needs of the famous, the soon-to-be famous and 10 million others who pass through Harvard Square each year.

But fewer people are buying newspapers and magazines these days, and the kiosk’s life as a purveyor of print publications is almost certainly coming to an end. The powerful Harvard Square Business Association wants the newsstand out so it can clean up the square — or, in its phrase, “polish the trophy.”

“The world has changed,” said John P. DiGiovanni, a developer and president of the association. “People are not getting their news that way.”

The City of Cambridge, which owns the 500-square-foot vintage kiosk, is beginning a $4.6 million renovation of it and the gritty brick plaza around it, even as the area teems with tourists, students, homeless people, buskers, shoppers, pedicab drivers, chess players and political demonstrators.

Starting in August, the lease for Out of Town News will be renewed by the city on a month-to-month basis, meaning it could close the kiosk at any month after that. The lease expires in January 2019.

By then, if not sooner, Out of Town News is likely to become the latest of the nation’s premier newsstands to close — after other casualties of the internet like News Haven in New Haven, Barnett’s in Athens, Ga., and the 101-year-old De Lauer’s in Oakland, Calif.

The owners would like to stay — the location, just outside Harvard’s gates in the heart of the square, is a marketer’s dream — but alternatives are already being discussed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/ha ... .html?_r=0

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 12-05-2016 09:39 AM

Kind of a curious thing. Thanks Kbot.
KARMA RULES

Return to “National”