Pennsylvania sex abuse report presents crucial test for Pope Francis

National news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-16-2018 08:32 PM

As a practicing Catholic, I don't know where to begin. The sexual abuse scandals here in the USA started to become public in my hometown's diocese in Massacusetts and took off from there. Just the scale of this goes way beyond that (not to diminish the previous abuse scandals). All around we see parishes merging, churches closing, empty pews - last night my wife and I went to Mass as it was a holy day of obligation (Assumption of Mary, or, as the Orthodox say, The Dormition of Mary). In any event, the church had probably less than 30 people. Don't know if the other Masses had any other people, but, to me and my wife, we feel that we are witness to the end of The Church, as prophesied. There simply are no words for this.......

(CNN)The Vatican broke its silence on Thursday about a Pennsylvania grand jury report that detailed decades of sexual abuses by priests and cover-ups by bishops, calling the accusations "criminal and morally reprehensible."
"Regarding the report made public in Pennsylvania this week, there are two words that can express the feelings faced with these horrible crimes: shame and sorrow," said Greg Burke, director of the Vatican's Press Office.
"The Holy See treats with great seriousness the work of the Investigating Grand Jury of Pennsylvania and the lengthy Interim Report it has produced. The Holy See condemns unequivocally the sexual abuse of minors."
This week, Pope Francis had been under increasing pressure to address a rapidly escalating sexual abuse crisis that has spread across several continents, from Australia to Latin America.

The crisis presents a crucial test for Francis' papacy, which has stumbled badly at times to address sexual abuse among clergy. Some Catholics are worried that the Pope's ability to serve as a moral witness for the world could be compromised should he fail to act decisively.

"The clock is ticking for all of us in Church leadership," said Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston, the Pope's top adviser on sexual abuse. "Catholics have lost patience with us and civil society has lost confidence in us."

The Vatican's comments came 48 hours after the Pennsylvania report was released. The Pope himself has yet to remark on the accusations in the nearly 900-page report.

In the United States, liberal and conservative Catholics displayed a rare unity in pressing the Pope to respond to the Pennsylvania grand jury report. The state's Attorney General called it the "largest, most comprehensive report into child sexual abuse within the Catholic Church ever produced in the United States."

The report said internal documents from six Catholic dioceses in Pennsylvania -- some held in a secret archive to which only the bishop had a key -- show that more than 300 "predator priests" have been credibly accused of sexually abusing more than 1,000 child victims.

The lengthy catalog of clergy sexual abuses in the report is difficult to read. As the grand jurors note, priests and other Catholic leaders victimized boys and girls, teens and pre-pubescent children.

Some victims were plied with alcohol and groped or molested, the report says. Others were orally, vaginally or anally raped, according to the grand jurors.

"There are so many things the church speaks about that are politically sensitive topics," said Kurt Martens, a professor of canon law at The Catholic University of America. "When we do not adequately address an issue as serious as sexual abuse, it undermines the credibility of church leaders."

'Betrayals of trust'

The grand jury described the church's methods as "a playbook for concealing the truth."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/us/penns ... index.html

The grand jury report can be accessed here (it's over 1,300 pages.........)

I.
Introduction

We, the members of this grand jury, need you to hear this. We know some of you have heard some of it before. There have been other reports about child sex abuse within the Catholic Church. But never on this scale. For many of us, those earlier stories happened someplace else, someplace away. Now we know the truth: it happened everywhere.

http://media-downloads.pacourts.us/Inte ... f?cb=22148
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Re: Pennsylvania sex abuse report presents crucial test for Pope Francis

Post by Riddick » 08-16-2018 10:55 PM

Betcha if the truth came out the Catholic church child sex story would seem tame next to the one Hollywood has

The MeToo movement has brought attention to adult abuse yet when it comes to folks speaking out about what they were subjected to as child actors, it seems like THAT lid isn't coming off so easy

Tinseltown hasn't been around as long as Catholicism but pedophilia has been around longer than either. Maybe it'll be "normalized" someday? I'd not bet against it
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

Everything Woke turns to Image
-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-17-2018 10:48 AM

I'm sure you're correct about the Hollywood issue Riddick - I've read some horror stories over the years, but, here's the difference: Hollywood has NEVER put itself out there as an organization, lifestyle, whatever, so be emulated for the greater good. Hollywood has no mission statement or public aims, no Golden Rule, no Sermon on the Mount, or anything even coming close. Sure, during WWI many in Hollywood - actors, actresses, stage hands, etc volunteered to serve, worked in soup kitchens, for the USO, etc. But "Hollywood" didn't do anything as an organization.

Some in fact, feel that Hollywood is an antithesis to organized religion and organized Hollywood takes positions that are in direct conflict with what The Catholic Church has as its core beliefs.

But, Hollywood is, after all, first and foremost a series of businesses, whereas The Church (Catholic or otherwise) are fundamentally philosophical in nature although they have been forced over the centuries to have corporate structures by the actions of secular governments.

I have no illusions about Hollywood. The Church however, must be held to a far higher standard, simply by virtue of the message, and while I don't believe that it will happen, I believe that the Pope MUST accept the recommendations of the grand jury and proceed with allowing for these monsters to be subject to civil action and that would include those who committed these acts as well as those who protected them (aiding and abetting...).

I started reading the grand jury report last night and stopped after the first few pages - its sickening what these animals did to innocent children. I once read about how, centuries ago in Poland, that when a rapist was caught, the townspeople would bring the offender to a bridge, nail his nuts to the bridge, and walk away, leaving the perp perv with a knife and a decision to make. I say, let's bring THAT sorta logic back........... And, yes I know that it is said "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord", but these kids certainly didn't deserve this...... We have the chance to offer some sort of justice and I hope that the Pope does something more than offer lip service (no pun intended.........)
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-17-2018 01:36 PM

And just what do you expect this mere, mortal, corrupt, Pope to do? He has his own agenda to take care of.

The church has become one huge politically, wealth driven enity. And it is a "House of Sand" washing away. All humans have a direct pipe line to their own spirituality, which, terrifies most. When you can only find that "Connection" to God in a said "Human Sanctioned" Church, do you go without when you leave ? Are you seeking something that has always been connected to you, or the Ritual itself? All "Ritual" is a man made guessing game as to what may bring salvation and appease the God(s) so humanity won't piss off the unknown, as ancient today as a million years ago. The key has always been, that person staring back at you in the mirror, the one with ALL the answers. How scary is that? :wink:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Right Is Wrong & Wrong Is Right

Post by Riddick » 08-17-2018 04:25 PM

kbot wrote: 08-17-2018 10:48 AM I'm sure you're correct about the Hollywood issue Riddick - I've read some horror stories over the years, but, here's the difference: Hollywood has NEVER put itself out there as an organization, lifestyle, whatever, so be emulated for the greater good.
Some in fact, feel that Hollywood is an antithesis to organized religion and organized Hollywood takes positions that are in direct conflict with what The Catholic Church has as its core beliefs.
I have no illusions about Hollywood. The Church however, must be held to a far higher standard, simply by virtue of the message
We have the chance to offer some sort of justice and I hope that the Pope does something more than offer lip service (no pun intended.........)
The world desperately needs someone, some body, somewhere to do the right thing. Hasn't it always? What hasn't always been agreed upon is what the "right thing" is

Hollywood had its open secret blow up. So sexual abuse is bad, mkay? Now that it's gone public, that is. But only part of it. Any and all child sex stuff, I guess can wait. Still, isn't it horrible what's going on in the Catholic Church, higher standard & all?

YMMV, but seems to me the 'Infotainment' media presents itself AS a guiding force, politically AND socially. Celebrity SJWs are out there every day, telling people what to believe, what to think & how to act though mostly, it's "Do as I say, not as I do".

Anyone Tinseltown Types despise/ resist for any reason does something they see as wrong is bad. TTs do the same? Not a problem. In fact, it's a virtue and not only that, what's so wrong with pedophilia, anyway? A fringe thought, but it's out there

So much normalizing deviancy for the "greater good" may not be everyone's idea of advancement, doesn't matter. It's a "higher (double?) standard" civilization should strive for. Also, it'd get Hollywood out of a jam.

F*ck Catholicism. Embrace Progressivism!!
A mind should not be so open that the brains fall out; however, it should not be so closed that whatever gray matter which does reside may not be reached. ART BELL

-Donald Trump Image

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-17-2018 06:31 PM

Doka wrote: 08-17-2018 01:36 PM And just what do you expect this mere, mortal, corrupt, Pope to do? He has his own agenda to take care of.

The church has become one huge politically, wealth driven enity. And it is a "House of Sand" washing away. All humans have a direct pipe line to their own spirituality, which, terrifies most. When you can only find that "Connection" to God in a said "Human Sanctioned" Church, do you go without when you leave ? Are you seeking something that has always been connected to you, or the Ritual itself? All "Ritual" is a man made guessing game as to what may bring salvation and appease the God(s) so humanity won't piss off the unknown, as ancient today as a million years ago. The key has always been, that person staring back at you in the mirror, the one with ALL the answers. How scary is that? :wink:
I don't pretend to have any answers Doka as I've been proven wrong over and over again........ and I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers.

In a way though, you might be on to something. Many of the early Church Fathers removed themselves from society to live in the desert or other isolated places. Whether you're speaking of Christianity, Buddhism with it's meditation or Native American spirit quests, in many religions when searching for God and answers, there is an element solo worship.

kbot
Pirate

Re: Right Is Wrong & Wrong Is Right

Post by kbot » 08-17-2018 06:34 PM

Riddick wrote: 08-17-2018 04:25 PM
The world desperately needs someone, some body, somewhere to do the right thing. Hasn't it always? What hasn't always been agreed upon is what the "right thing" is

Hollywood had its open secret blow up. So sexual abuse is bad, mkay? Now that it's gone public, that is. But only part of it. Any and all child sex stuff, I guess can wait. Still, isn't it horrible what's going on in the Catholic Church, higher standard & all?

YMMV, but seems to me the 'Infotainment' media presents itself AS a guiding force, politically AND socially. Celebrity SJWs are out there every day, telling people what to believe, what to think & how to act though mostly, it's "Do as I say, not as I do".

Anyone Tinseltown Types despise/ resist for any reason does something they see as wrong is bad. TTs do the same? Not a problem. In fact, it's a virtue and not only that, what's so wrong with pedophilia, anyway? A fringe thought, but it's out there

So much normalizing deviancy for the "greater good" may not be everyone's idea of advancement, doesn't matter. It's a "higher (double?) standard" civilization should strive for. Also, it'd get Hollywood out of a jam.

F*ck Catholicism. Embrace Progressivism!!
[/quote]

Well Riddick, that HAS been the message from Hollywood, right? Perhaps not in so many words, but their actions and public positions seem to echo the sentiment.

Riddick
Pirate

What's Next?

Post by Riddick » 08-18-2018 01:38 AM

kbot wrote: 08-17-2018 06:34 PM Well Riddick, that HAS been the message from Hollywood, right? Perhaps not in so many words, but their actions and public positions seem to echo the sentiment.
As well, prominent progressives in politics, business and the MSM 'getting into the act' pepper their message with derogatory sentiments targeted towards those who dare disagree with their world view! It's all in a day's work for The Social Serpents -

Still, actions speak louder than words. Needs be, violence in service of progress is no vice, and when directed at deplorables, is more than meritorious. And no utopian ideal would be complete without a universal program of TOTAL SEXUAL FREEDOM

Sex with kids, animals, and inanimate objects can't be loving, caring and consensual? Who says so, some invisible Guy in the sky? Ridiculously repressive rules have held humankind hostage far too long. It's time to break & shake off the religious shackles

Some want to abuse, some want to be abused: No harm, no foul. Everyone's looking for something. Sweet dreams are made of this, why not make it a sweet reality? If it feels good, do it! Anyone says different? Stick their head in a bucket of piranha fish.

-Donald Trump Image

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 08-18-2018 01:57 PM

In a way though, you might be on to something. Many of the early Church Fathers removed themselves from society to live in the desert or other isolated places. Whether you're speaking of Christianity, Buddhism with it's meditation or Native American spirit quests, in many religions when searching for God and answers, there is an element solo worship.
Your words are very perplexing to me! You are , apparently a faithfull church attendee, but have no personal relationship, or connection as to Why you are there? "Solo Worship" ?
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 08-18-2018 09:07 PM

Doka wrote: 08-18-2018 01:57 PM
Your words are very perplexing to me! You are , apparently a faithfull church attendee, but have no personal relationship, or connection as to Why you are there? "Solo Worship" ?
Was just making an observation........

Riddick
Pirate

Confidence In Pope Francis Plunges

Post by Riddick » 10-03-2018 12:01 AM

By a two-to-one margin, American Catholics now give Francis negative marks for his handling of the sex abuse scandal. FULL STORY

Return to “National”