Israel Asks for $2.2B in Aid for Pullout

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

SETIsLady
Pirate

Israel Asks for $2.2B in Aid for Pullout

Post by SETIsLady » 07-12-2005 05:56 AM

WASHINGTON -- Israeli officials called at the White House Monday in a bid for $2.2 billion in U.S. aid to help fund the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza and part of the West Bank and security measures linked to the pullback.

Separately, an Israeli delegation resumed talks at the Pentagon on U.S. efforts to restrict Israeli weapons deals with China and other nations.

Israel is due to relinquish Gaza and remove all Jewish residents and Israeli troops later this summer. Four Israeli settlements on the West Bank also are to be abandoned.

It is a move that has the support of the Bush administration along with an expectation that if it proceeds smoothly, Israel would be encouraged to give up more West Bank land to the Palestinians for a state of their own.

"We'll certainly be interested in hearing what the Israeli government has to say," Tom Casey, a State Department spokesman, said.

Asked if Israel would be given the $2.2 billion, on top of about $2.3 billion in annual U.S. military and economic assistance, Casey said, "there has been no request made, and I certainly cannot respond to anything we haven't heard yet."

Israel's delegation was headed by Yossi Bachar, director general of the finance ministry. National Security Council and State Department officials participated in the meeting.

Earlier, in Jerusalem, Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres said Israel was requesting $2.2 billion and that some of the money would be used to remove settlers and their possessions.

Last month, Israeli and U.S. delegations met for two days at the Pentagon without concluding an agreement to govern Israeli weapons deals.

The talks focused, in part, on Israel's planned sale to China of spare parts for Harpy armed drone aircraft.

The Bush administration objects on grounds it would upgrade China's anti-radar aircraft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00909.html

Is this money really for the pullout, my gut tells me no. Do they need money for military actions against Iran ? Something stinks about this. folks...the timing its always the timing

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 07-12-2005 06:05 AM

LOU DOBBS TONIGHT QUICKVOTE: Should U.S. taxpayers foot the bill for Israel's pullout from Gaza?

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

Yes: 7% - 494 votes

No: 93% - 6480 votes

SETIsLady
Pirate

Post by SETIsLady » 07-12-2005 06:13 AM

Sandy I believe deep down that we at some point are going to turn the other way and let Israel do what it feels in Iran. I have a gut wrenching feeling about this. :(

Cpt Spike Mike
Joint Chief

Post by Cpt Spike Mike » 07-22-2005 11:19 AM

Wait a minute, they want us to pay them to pull their troopsout? Isn't this about the same as calling your dad & asking for gas money to get home from a bad party?

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 07-22-2005 03:37 PM

they make me sick:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alien_UK
Pirate

Post by Alien_UK » 07-23-2005 11:53 AM

Funny they never asked for $2.2B in Aid when they occupied the West Bank the Golan Heights and the Gaza Strip (or should I say stole) Time to go vomit again!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Last edited by Alien_UK on 07-23-2005 12:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Laird
Pirate

Re: Israel Asks for $2.2B in Aid for Pullout

Post by Laird » 07-23-2005 12:01 PM

SETIsLady wrote: WASHINGTON -- Israeli officials called at the White House Monday in a bid for .2 billion in U.S. aid to help fund the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza and part of the West Bank and security measures linked to the pullback.

Separately, an Israeli delegation resumed talks at the Pentagon on U.S. efforts to restrict Israeli weapons deals with China and other nations.

Israel is due to relinquish Gaza and remove all Jewish residents and Israeli troops later this summer. Four Israeli settlements on the West Bank also are to be abandoned.

It is a move that has the support of the Bush administration along with an expectation that if it proceeds smoothly, Israel would be encouraged to give up more West Bank land to the Palestinians for a state of their own.

"We'll certainly be interested in hearing what the Israeli government has to say," Tom Casey, a State Department spokesman, said.

Asked if Israel would be given the .2 billion, on top of about .3 billion in annual U.S. military and economic assistance, Casey said, "there has been no request made, and I certainly cannot respond to anything we haven't heard yet."

Israel's delegation was headed by Yossi Bachar, director general of the finance ministry. National Security Council and State Department officials participated in the meeting.

Earlier, in Jerusalem, Deputy Prime Minister Shimon Peres said Israel was requesting .2 billion and that some of the money would be used to remove settlers and their possessions.

Last month, Israeli and U.S. delegations met for two days at the Pentagon without concluding an agreement to govern Israeli weapons deals.

The talks focused, in part, on Israel's planned sale to China of spare parts for Harpy armed drone aircraft.

The Bush administration objects on grounds it would upgrade China's anti-radar aircraft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00909.html

Is this money really for the pullout, my gut tells me no. Do they need money for military actions against Iran ? Something stinks about this. folks...the timing its always the timing

I'm shocked and awed that Bush said that ... you mean he's not
possessed by demons?
"Speak softly and carry a big stick" Teddy Roosevelt

Return to “Global”