32 Trillion Found In Off Shore Accounts

Global news scene

Moderator: Super Moderators

Doka
Pirate

32 Trillion Found In Off Shore Accounts

Post by Doka » 05-01-2013 09:23 PM

32 TRILLION is a lot of money boy and girls! Seems like that # is familiar?Mmmm? Any way, another thing I have found intriguing is that I have been chasing this story, I found it on 2 other forums and then Pooof! Gone. One OK but 2? They are still sifting through mega gigabytes of info and seem to be releasing as fast as they get it.
:huhsmile:

3 reference sites may seem like an overkill, but?

http://moneymorning.com/2013/05/01/chec ... -accounts/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/0 ... aven/print

http://www.icij.org/offshore/who-uses-offshore-world
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 05-01-2013 10:58 PM

yep, a ton of financial records of secret accounts got leaked, but it sure did not last long. The whole thing is ongoing, is anyone following it? That is a RIDICULOUS amount of money. I can't even imagine the evil that gathered this sum, all the nefarious acts, all the killing, all the stealing. It represents something like the total GDP of the entire planet for a year? 5 years?
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-01-2013 11:55 PM

I plan on keeping up on it, the icij site has the most names on it. I wonder who's "nervous". :vultures:
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 05-02-2013 08:19 AM

As long as its legal, there's nothing that can be done other than say who's sending their money offshore. As far as I know, the US has no laws about sending money overseas, although there has been pressure to collect the taxes owed on the money held in offshore accounts. Lately there have been reports about some people taking advantage of the amnesty regarding this before they're prosecuted for tax evasion.

As an aside, back in the 1990s when my wife and I wento to Russia to adopt our son we became aware of the Russian laws regarding their currency - it's illegal for their currency to be removed from the country. But, since the US Dollar currently is the coin of the realm, so to speak, there will always be that issue of the free flow of cash outside the borders.

On the other hand - it's all Monopoly money when you get right down to it.......

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-02-2013 11:03 AM

I don't think the idea is that it is "illegal" to have off shore accounts is the main factor here, but...that would depend on their countries particular laws. Tax evasion, is probably similar in most countries and frowned upon. I believe, IMO, although I have seen nothing yet on it, that there is a mad rush to other countries, giving up citizenship and what ever else, for the wealthy to keep their money. It is getting to the point that there is no place to hide. I don't think the maybe formally wealthy, want to live out of a grocery cart with the rest of us. Since they "have" something to lose,(more than me, anyway), we might hear some major "screaming" going on?

:confused:
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-02-2013 11:39 AM

Release of Offshore Records Draws Worldwide Response

Oh Oh! We have some response here! It is not nice to hide, big bucks from your government. :surprised

http://www.icij.org/blog/2013/04/releas ... e-response
KARMA RULES

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 05-02-2013 11:43 AM

I have a creepy feeling that these sites may "Go Away" shortly.
:eek:
KARMA RULES

Return to “Global”