John B wells

Join in most nights at 10pm Pacific for 'Almost Live' posting - with the Fantastic Forum Pirates - now featuring Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert show posting.

Moderator: Super Moderators

LochNessMonster
Pirate

Ads and guests

Post by LochNessMonster » 01-21-2012 06:12 PM

I used to enjoy the ads on the original C2C with Art Bell. They were buggy and somehow fit in. I dearly miss Art and I dislike the over professionalization of the show. Loosing Ian has downgraded the show. We need randomness back. Shows are too predictable, Iahawasca (the shamanic drug) is getting particularly old as is Rosemary Ellen Guiley and shows on disease.
Keep looking!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Re: Ads and guests

Post by Dale O Sea » 01-22-2012 10:53 AM

LochNessMonster wrote: I used to enjoy the ads on the original C2C with Art Bell. They were buggy and somehow fit in. I dearly miss Art and I dislike the over professionalization of the show. Loosing Ian has downgraded the show. We need randomness back. Shows are too predictable, Iahawasca (the shamanic drug) is getting particularly old as is Rosemary Ellen Guiley and shows on disease.
At one time I found Ian a very good host for the show. He was always energetic, patient with callers and was up on the topic even at the cost of staying up all night reading the scheduled guest's book. But every time I've tried to listen to him the last couple of years it seemed like he'd lost that edge, like he was winging it, literally phoning it in. I blame his other radio job and think it got more focus from him. No big deal, really..truth told he's still better than noory on his worst day. I totally sympathize and have much empathy for punnett's tinnitus, having a rather sever case myself, and wish him much success in his treatment. Maybe he'll be better if/when he returns.

As for the ads, with their breaks and the news breaks being too close to a 1:1 ratio with the actual content of the show, they had better be entertaining or folks tune away. Norry reads most of them now and I can't listen to him during the show, much less to pitch snake-oils and gold.

I remember Art laughing at and even mocking some ads..not sure that hosts now could get away with that. When you bring Art into this discussion - beyond the music and title, there is no comparison to the show now and what Art did with it.

LNM, looking forward to more sightings. ;)

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-22-2012 10:57 AM

If Ian could separate his morning show from overnight, he would probably be a better host. I get annoyed when the guest tries to talk, and Ian talks over him or goes into a long explanation or comment about him.

Morning drive and overnights call for totally different deliveries.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 01-22-2012 11:07 AM

Ha! True VOGuy. I laugh as my mind went to: what if he got all three 'scripts' mixed up and did his Sunday morning stuff for coast, his coast stuff for the morning drive show and morning show on coast?

Further thought typing this out has flattened my grin - nevermind. ;)

:o
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 01-22-2012 11:59 AM

I've always been curious, and wondering if there is any audio from his preaching at church. Could be an interesting mix of theology and shtick.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-22-2012 01:58 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: http://dar.fm

Still buggy but better than it was.

You get 5 gig storage free, I think. I have 10GB but had some issues and they upped me for free.

OK Thanks Dale - wil try.
A man's character is his fate

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 01-22-2012 01:59 PM

SquidInk wrote: I agree. His cadence is a little slow, but overall, a good interviewer. And his open lines are listenable!

I heard that last night and now that I've listened to him a while now - I think it's because he is thoughtful - he is listening and thinking and doesn't make those stupid comments which let you know it's an obligatory "oh yeah, etc.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-12-2012 12:33 PM

Curious to know if anyone listened to the show last night?

John would ask the second guest a question and the silence was deafening.

bigvig316
Pirate

Post by bigvig316 » 02-12-2012 12:51 PM

I thought it was a good interview. there was one point where he asked him a question going into the final hour that just got crushed by my local station going to commercial early. makes me wonder.
The Shadow Government is watching

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-12-2012 01:32 PM

bigvig316 wrote: I thought it was a good interview. there was one point where he asked him a question going into the final hour that just got crushed by my local station going to commercial early. makes me wonder.

Same thing here on LA 60W station.

Still when the author was asked point blank questions he would either be silent or mumble.

The first guest is an second cousin of Andy Card - in President Bush's admin.

bigvig316
Pirate

Post by bigvig316 » 02-12-2012 03:54 PM

I just look at guest as entertainment. And It was a c+ show. I never like any of the 9/11 stuff. we will never know the truth. I like UFOs and stuff like that

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 02-12-2012 10:22 PM

bigvig316 wrote: I just look at guest as entertainment. And It was a c+ show. I never like any of the 9/11 stuff. we will never know the truth. I like UFOs and stuff like that

I understand - "different stokes" type of thing.

bigvig316
Pirate

Post by bigvig316 » 02-12-2012 10:42 PM

indeed. like tonight, just not feeling it

rolede
Pirate

Question for Dale O Sea

Post by rolede » 03-28-2012 02:17 PM

"I have a site I use to get it in mp3 form that I can skip those prostate ads and long, non-news breaks. Sort of a pvr for online audio content."

Thanks Dale- I just signed up for dar.fm, but it didn't mention how to skip the commercials.
Is that something the site does automatically, or is it something the user has to do and if so, how?
One in four people is unbalanced; think of
three friends-if they seem okay-you're it

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 03-29-2012 11:25 AM

Rolede, glad you liked dar.fm. You have to skip the ads manually in the dar.fm player with the provided 30 second advance button or by clicking around on the progress bar.

That app downloads in 15 minute chunks and some of those have about a minute of actual show content, rest is skipped by me.

I'd love to see this deck getting more action so, like the show or not, if you or anyone is interested and want to post your thoughts - in real time during the show or afterwards, start a thread or add to one here and let us in on them.

Return to “Fantastic Forum 'Original Radio Room'”