Wanna Take a Ride? Be an 'Art Appreciator'! - No Experience

Join in most nights at 10pm Pacific for 'Almost Live' posting - with the Fantastic Forum Pirates - now featuring Art Bell's Midnight in the Desert show posting.

Moderator: Super Moderators

How interested are you in ORR Classic Art Bell Show 'Almost Live' Chats?

VERY Interested! MORE Please! I'll be there!
60%
Interested but only so-so on participating...
20%
Not Interested in participating but good luck
20%
Who needs 'em? C'mon, seriously guys. It's over. Art's gone. Get a life.
No votes

Total votes: 5

Riddick
Pirate

Wanna Take a Ride? Be an 'Art Appreciator'! - No Experience

Post by Riddick » 08-20-2012 02:20 AM

TESTING!
Testing... 1, 2...

AND 3's the magic number isn't it? Honestly, it's been a really swell time for all these last couple nights here in the ORR, and if you weren't at the party you DON'T KNOW what you're missing - or do you? Help me out FFolks -!

In planning & putting the next experiment together, in preparation for making the move to Level 3 Chat testing what I see as a missing piece is, how much actual interest exists among the rest of the crew in participating -

Of less importance yet still of interest, another question is for those of you who either feel fired-up now or see yourselves joining in at some point in the future should these sort of chats catch on: what do you like better as a name for the group - 'Art Appreciators' or 'Coast Outsiders'?

In any case, FFolks, please do vote in the poll and make your voices heard. Civil and courteous comments and suggestions welcome. :)
Last edited by Riddick on 08-20-2012 03:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-20-2012 10:03 AM

I love the idea, can you explain what the schedule is that you are using? When should people show up, what stream do we listen to? I can make a subdeck or embed a player or whatever you need to help get this going...

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 12:06 PM

It's a great idea but still has some details remaining to be worked out and/or finalized.

I'm sure Riddick would be interested in hearing all feedback on this too, along with his poll.

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-20-2012 01:08 PM

Interested and will show when I can
A man's character is his fate

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 01:32 PM

Fan wrote: I love the idea, can you explain what the schedule is that you are using? When should people show up, what stream do we listen to? I can make a subdeck or embed a player or whatever you need to help get this going...
I like the idea of embedding the player in the opening post to get started but this won't work once the thread is refreshed..unless it's in an iframe in the sidebar, if that's even doable. One Art stream, the u7, launches a little popup player which seems ideal as is. There may be something that can be done with the fineartstream player but not sure.

This is Riddick's idea and project so he's the one with the answers. I'll participate and help out as much as is healthy for the ORR but I can get a little negative when it comes to this show, heck, in general - no special reason. Not on Art's episodes as much as other's, but when I'm in a certain moods it's best for all that I avoid contact with the citizenry.

Shirleypal had a similar room here and did pretty fair some nights. That's the trick - getting warm bodies to post up. How many are doing this? I don't think many, but am just guessing. Most rooms like this are doing the regular show but I know of none that are trying anything like this. If there were, we could use them as examples of what works and doesn't.

Perhaps an email to U7 and fineartstream asking if we can put a banner or notice on their site or otherwise inform stream listeners we are here. It would only help their cause, unless we overload them. Just a thought..

Since the streams run 24/7, the idea Riddick mentioned about having an open thread and poster's coming in, tuning a stream and commenting whenever convenient is good but no one would want to be the one starting up or post to an empty room,I'm afraid. But you never know.

The country is so polarized now it's hard to discuss anything without choosing a side first, then waylaying the first one that opposes you - and that don't make for a friendly ORR. Onerous rules and heavy moderation stifle the conversation but so does fighting.. But I think this is still doable and am hoping for the best - maybe even attracting some new blood to the board. :cool:

Diogenes
Pirate

Post by Diogenes » 08-20-2012 02:11 PM

Quote from Dale:

This is Riddick's idea and project so he's the one with the answers. I'll participate and help out as much as is healthy for the ORR but I can get a little negative when it comes to this show, heck, in general - no special reason. Not on Art's episodes as much as other's, but when I'm in a certain moods it's best for all that I avoid contact with the citizenry

Are you certain you want to encourage more "citizenry". What about those off days.:D

A man's character is his fate

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 02:52 PM

That's a good classic movie rant but I like the more contemporary one that came up in the suggested videos at the end of that one for me by my hero, the late George Carlin.

He uses more of the language I'd use also, so be warned: the above video contains truth and is expressed with appropriate but rough angry NY street talk. F-bombs, and others throughout. Don't click it if you are offended by such talk.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 08-20-2012 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Dale O Sea
He uses more of the language I'd use also, so be warned: the above video contains truth and is expressed with appropriate but rough angry NY street talk. F-bombs, and others throughout. Don't click it if you are offended by such talk.
Nah, click it anyways and use your righteous indignation to do something productive :)

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 08-20-2012 03:27 PM

That rant gives me goose bumps. He or someone like him should be nominated to straighten this mess out - or at least be heard - esp. since Ron Paul has all but been silenced.

Riddick
Pirate

"Art Appreciation" - The Retro ORR Experiment Whos

Post by Riddick » 08-20-2012 07:04 PM

Hey Now Ya'll, thanks for chimin' in here!

As Dale said, the idea did indeed start with me, though I wouldn't go so far as laying claim to the concept of ongoing retro ORR chats as being forever more 'my project' -

As I see it for this "Art Appreciation Experiment" either to thrive or survive, to whatever extent this idea does 'catch fire' it needs be a group effort rather than depend on Yours Truly's 'holding the reigns' the entire time.

That said, as they say 'the devil is in the details', so at least in this formative shakedown stage for all intents and purposes, with the idea initially being mine for me playing the role of 'project leader' seems eminently sensible :)

So then, from my perspective at the moment here's the deal: at minimum, for as long as Premrad still carries Art Bell SiT Shows shows beginning at 8p CT Saturday nights, the plan is a chat starting around air time and going 'til the show ends or people poop out... FFolks who aren't Coast Insiders can listen to the show at KQNA

At the same time to help foster their growth in an organic environment instead of imposing things, rather than anything definitive week-to-week I see these chats being more "catch as catch can", with it being a matter of whoever shows up first who wants to get things going for the evening being the de-facto "Master of Ceremonies", thus reducing reliance on any one FFer to kick off the party -

Beyond that, as to any similar nightly chats the rest of the week also starting at 8p CT, for the purposes of consolidation my current concept for a 'Level 3 Test' is to set up a single dedicated thread, where once again whoever cares to can start things off each evening. For this test, while U7Radio definitely has many good things going for it my feeling here is to go with FineArtStream as the show source since my understanding is their collection is the most extensive.

As I see it right now we have a nice nucleus of a group going, and provided things continue to move along here as they have hopefully with time the chats will generate enough gravitational force to pull a goodly number of more folks into the retro ORR orbit, with or without promotion outside the confines of the forum...

So whaddya think FFolks - How about let's DO THIS & we show the whole world The One and Only Original Longest Running Forum on the Web for Fans of C2C AM with ART BELL has the wherewithal to KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON, KnowhutImean?

Return to “Fantastic Forum 'Original Radio Room'”