Moderator: Super Moderators

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Socrates

Post by Janus232 » 10-02-2007 11:53 PM

SOCRATES - (MP3 42mins -20Mb)
Angie Hobbs: Associate Professor of Philosophy at Warwick University;
David Sedley: Laurence Professor of Ancient Philosophy at Cambridge University
Paul Millett: Senior Lecturer in Classics at Cambridge University.
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/rad ... 7-1028.mp3

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 10-03-2007 12:08 AM

Thank you Janus, will listen tomorrow.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 10-03-2007 08:48 AM

One of the most interesting, and intimidating, books that I have ever read was I. F. "Izzy" Stone's 1989 book, The Trial of Socrates.

http://www.amazon.com/Trial-Socrates-I- ... 0385260326

As many of you know, I have been, since the age of seventeen, one of the most devout Platonici (although never, never, never one of those filthy, evil Straussians). But Stone really rakes both Socrates and Plato over the coals in this book, which forced me to accept my shadow-side as a Platonist.

If you are seriously interested in Socrates, you must read this book!
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Galadriel
Pirate

Post by Galadriel » 10-03-2007 03:58 PM

Janus, the interview on Socrates was fascinating; thank you for posting that link. :)

I wonder: do the history professors and philosophers and so forth -- the intelligentsia, in a word -- ever openly speculate about Socrates' origins? It would almost seem he was from another world or, at least, must have been something other than fully human.

If I may be allowed a second question (perhaps related to the first): Angie Hobbs referenced some quote from Cicero (I believe) about Socrates bringing philosophy down from the heavens and into the homes of the people. What was that about, do you know?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Janus, those of us who left academe years ago to lead different lives can benefit tremendously from having bits of wisdom handed to us. And you do that so well.

I picture you perusing the endless ancient tomes, the infinite internet of today, and all places between where thoughts and ideas lay nestled. I see you enjoying the occasional "Ah, HA!" moment, and on occasion thinking, "I know some people who might enjoy this. . . ."

I count myself blessed to be among those who benefit from your handpicked handouts, those pearls of wisdom dropped amongst us like tiny gifts. Keep the pearls coming, man! :D

Janus232
Ship's Shaman

Post by Janus232 » 10-05-2007 07:13 AM

Socrates' origin seems lost in time (let the RV'ers take a Look or better tap JQ... a unique resource on the ship for further insight)..... his guiding daimon however was not.... and so like John Dee in later times, communion with the Logos (mystery rites, star magic, Chaldean unfoldment etc) changes the perspective of the mind..how could it not?.... This is the essence of experience... Cicero addresses the "oldest magicians" etc......

Well G I do read a lot... It's been a central theme.... and know many others who also share the path...

Thank you for your kind words.............. :)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 10-19-2007 08:26 AM

Galadriel wrote: I count myself blessed to be among those who benefit from your handpicked handouts, those pearls of wisdom dropped amongst us like tiny gifts. Keep the pearls coming, man! :D

Me too;)

Return to “Philosophy”