What have you changed your mind about?

Moderator: Super Moderators

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

What have you changed your mind about?

Post by turtle101 » 01-01-2008 09:20 PM

When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.

When God changes your mind, that's faith.
When facts change your mind, that's science.

WHAT HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR MIND ABOUT? WHY?

Science is based on evidence. What happens when the data change? How have scientific findings or arguments changed your mind?"

Some replies to the question ponder the perennial problem of God. Professor Patrick Bateson of Cambridge University has changed his mind on what to call himself after meeting a virulent creationist. He is no longer an agnostic but an atheist. Meanwhile the actor and writer Alan Alda said that he has changed his mind about God — twice.

What have you changed your mind about? Why?
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 01-01-2008 09:59 PM

I have changed my mind about Amerika. I used to think that America (sic) was a great country that occasionally did wicked things, but now I know that Amerika is a wicked country that occasionally does great things. Of course, you don’t need to ask why I changed my mind about this matter, do you? :(
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

Escargot
Pirate

Post by Escargot » 01-02-2008 09:38 PM

As a matter of fact -
I used to believe that I could never gain weight for any reason, like eating too much or getting older or quitting smoking. I have always had a problem keeping weight on - too thin for too long.

I no longer believe that. :D

IvyQ
Pirate

Post by IvyQ » 01-02-2008 09:48 PM

i've changed my mind about coleslaw... love it now!!!

black-eyed-peas... still yuck! maybe i'll grow into them eventually.....

still think that we all should have free will... free thinking... and free individualities... as long as it's all good....

Escargot
Pirate

Post by Escargot » 01-03-2008 12:11 PM

Turtle, there is a fourth way people change their mind about something. That is experience. How many people have said they would never do this or that when they had children, and end up doing exactly what they said they wouldn't do when they are raising their own children.
That is just one example, experience can change or teach a person many things about other people, and about themselves.

Btw Turtle, have you changed your mind about anything?

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 01-03-2008 03:06 PM

My feelings about this Forum have changed radically in the past six months. There is shock-and-awe around every corner, especially when politics are involved. It doesn't feel friendly, safe, and warm anymore... I'm saddened but not surprised.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 01-03-2008 03:30 PM

Well folks after some long and hard thought, I've changed my mind about making my mind up TO change my mind about what I've thought long and hard about...

Why? I haven't thought about it (mind you, that's subject to change ;))

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 01-03-2008 03:33 PM

Riddick wrote: Well folks after some long and hard thought, I've changed my mind about making my mind up TO change my mind about what I've thought long and hard about...

Why? I haven't thought about it (mind you, that's subject to change ;))

I completely agree. Unless I don't.
Anchors Aweigh

Swerdloc
Pirate

Post by Swerdloc » 01-03-2008 03:49 PM

Joanie, the subject of politics has always been very volatile, and it seems to have become more so. It seems to elicit sort of a tribal, reptile-brain response from folks, much like religion. You never know when you may be touching something that carries a 10,000-volt charge.

And by the way, you have insulted the name of the Prophet (blessings be upon him).

(jk)
Anchors Aweigh

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 01-03-2008 05:52 PM

Kahil Gibran? Say what?

I have NO business discussing, mentioning, or having a fleeting thought about politics, especially not herein. I can't comprehend politics or math to save my life.
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 01-13-2008 10:57 PM

Btw Turtle, have you changed your mind about anything?

my attitude towardsother people.
i changed my mind about that. i have always liked everyone, trusted everyone. i'm one of those who wake up in a good mood. drives my husband crazy. loved working any job that i had to do, no matter how bad it got, i would stick it out till the end. i never used to fight over anything. my mother told me once i was a happy child. if my little friends couldn't come out and play i'd play with the little girl in the mirror.

i may not have much but if someone wanted it i'd give it up.

but in the last two years i'v changed my view of people.

it could be the world changed and i stay'd the same. or visa versa.

I guess thats it i just dont trust or like everyone any more.
a friend would have to prove themselves to me, now.
I have two pretty good friends. but even with them i hold back.

thats my biggest change....
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 01-14-2008 04:15 AM

turtle101 wrote:

but in the last two years i'v changed my view of people.

it could be the world changed and i stay'd the same. or visa versa.

I guess thats it i just dont trust or like everyone any more.
a friend would have to prove themselves to me, now.
I have two pretty good friends. but even with them i hold back.

thats my biggest change....

turtle, you haven't changed. The world has. People have. Young people have no idea of what has happened, what can happen, and what will happen. Our country has changed. We are controlled by corporations, and corporations control our government. We elect 'officials' to do what is right for us...what a joke! They too are controlled by the big corporations. If you have two good friends, you are lucky! Cherish them. 'True' friends are rare. If when we die, we can say we have even one good friend, then we have lived a good life.

And so...'what have I changed my mind about'? Probably my view of what I thought this country was. I thought it was safe, kind, giving, and honest. All of that, with today's politics has gone away. Are there any honest politicians? Yes? Do they have a chance of being elected with our current system? Sadly, I say NO! ONLY if the people of this country wake up will there be change, and that won't be easy. Only when the people have nothing to loose, will there be any change. But by then...it will be too late.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

fos
Pirate

Post by fos » 01-14-2008 06:55 AM

George Bush

At one time I was a supporter. Now I wish there had been an alternative.

Unfortunately, this election cycle is no better.

fos

pennylane7
Pirate

Post by pennylane7 » 01-14-2008 07:13 AM

I have changed my mind about alot.
1. trust no one until they prove to me they can be trusted. (even that is up for debate!)
2. I use to think we were living in reality......not so....
I still have not figured out what reality is!

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 01-15-2008 09:39 PM

majda..as far as the goverment i'v never change my mind on that since Kenndy was shot. politics and the goverment is a thing i don't really care about because (like you said ) if the people dont start standing up for whats right we are doomed.

it started in the 60's and has never gotten better. everyone one seems to bitch, bitch, bitch but don't do nothing about it except to bitch.

but i had always had good, happy, neat friends. i guess i can't put my finger on it.

i know i'm saying this wrong. i look at people totally different from what i did..... say 10 years ago. they seem to be a little more dummer, air, stems then normal...i guess.

Return to “Philosophy”