Smilies

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-16-2011 12:57 PM

A trick I've been known to use to get a big, full list after I've cleared it by revisiting since before new posts were made is I clear the cookies for the site, reload that page and usually get at least 2 pages of the latest posts.

I do have to log in again if I want to post, but that's only because I clear all the FF.com cookies - (I'm too lazy to figure out which FF cookie resets the list and single that one out) - and not just the one(s) that resets the list. Besides, my LastPass password manager makes logging in 2-click trivial.

I was going to suggest this for bobbo, an new pirate with the same question the other day, but wasn't sure of his desire to go under the hood, so to speak, and tweak his cookies. But, this works and I hope Fan doesn't mind me telling you to kill his cookies, heh.

:jabba::biglol:

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-16-2011 12:59 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: A trick I've been known to use to get a big, full list after I've cleared it by revisiting since before new posts were made is I clear the cookies for the site, reload that page and usually get at least 2 pages of the latest posts.

I do have to log in again if I want to post, but that's only because I clear all the FF.com cookies - (I'm too lazy to figure out which FF cookie resets the list and single that one out) - and not just the one(s) that resets the list.

I was going to suggest this for bobbo, an new pirate with the same question the other day, but wasn't sure of his desire to go under the hood, so to speak, and tweak his cookies. But, this works and I hope Fan doesn't mind me telling you to kill his cookies, heh.

hehe another way to do it is to log out, then hit new posts. Then open a new tab, log in, and go back to the page with all the posts. Then you can open each one in a new tab and go post. Just don't refresh the page with the new posts.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 11-16-2011 01:00 PM

megman
Parrothead

Post by megman » 11-16-2011 01:01 PM

Leroyed.....^ ^ ^:D
Still an Original Pirate since Aug 2000
Wanna ride the Zamboni?

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 11-16-2011 01:25 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: A trick I've been known to use to get a big, full list after I've cleared it by revisiting since before new posts were made is I clear the cookies for the site, reload that page and usually get at least 2 pages of the latest posts.

I do have to log in again if I want to post, but that's only because I clear all the FF.com cookies - (I'm too lazy to figure out which FF cookie resets the list and single that one out) - and not just the one(s) that resets the list. Besides, my LastPass password manager makes logging in 2-click trivial.

I was just doing some online banking and I always clear the cookies after. And I did notice a whole lot more new posts when I came back here. But I wouldn't have associated the two if you hadn't told me. Thanks!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

bobbo
Banned

I do my own thinking---don't need a computer for that

Post by bobbo » 11-16-2011 02:43 PM

Consider having the "most recent posts" be universal for everyone? Five minutes after reading a post I can forget I did yet want to revisit it. If I attend more than 3-4 threads, I have to go to the main page and hunt for it? The cookie approach "works" only for low attendance members.

Pro's and con's to all we do. Could there be a choice on whether or not cookies control the most recent posts functions?

I've always thought the "real power" of computers was giving people a their own choices rather than having one decision fit all. This individual flexibility is implemented much less than I think it should be. Have a default for whatever you think the most popular presentation would be, or one that would be most comfortable for new users, with notice of choices otherwise. All software should be designed this way.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: I do my own thinking---don't need a computer for that

Post by Fan » 11-16-2011 02:54 PM

bobbo wrote: Consider having the "most recent posts" be universal for everyone? Five minutes after reading a post I can forget I did yet want to revisit it. If I attend more than 3-4 threads, I have to go to the main page and hunt for it? The cookie approach "works" only for low attendance members.

Pro's and con's to all we do. Could there be a choice on whether or not cookies control the most recent posts functions?

I've always thought the "real power" of computers was giving people a their own choices rather than having one decision fit all. This individual flexibility is implemented much less than I think it should be. Have a default for whatever you think the most popular presentation would be, or one that would be most comfortable for new users, with notice of choices otherwise. All software should be designed this way.

Unfortunately I did not design this software, and trust me if I did it would be quite different :)

I'll look into possibilities, but at this point we have to work with what we have.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-17-2011 08:41 AM

Yes, this software is old and those features just don't appear in the controls. Much of the board's added functionality has been hacked in by Fan. Due to popular request, he's trying to maintain it as it was for the past decade. Me, I've campaigned for upgrades since vBulletin 3 came out years ago, tho I do want to keep the look and feel much the same as it's been too.

A solution, bobbo, to your problem of finding current posts all the time would be an rss feed subscription that is setup to serve you via your browser or other feed reader, any new post. Our old version won't do that, I don't think, but most any modern php based forum will.

I miss new posts too - all the time - but a method I use to track posts I've seen and replied (or subscribed) to is by using the email alerts, which deliver notices to your inbox of all threads you've posted in or have subscribed, to your inbox. If you need assistance setting this up I can help, or there should be something in the FAQs.

Email notification settings are found in your User CP by clicking the Edit Options button on the top the page.

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”