The noob has a question

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

bobbo
Banned

The noob has a question

Post by bobbo » 11-17-2011 05:46 PM

What is the function of the "view active new posts" button on the Fantastic Forum main page--top right corner?

I would like to know what threads were most recently added to whether I responded there or not and regardless of when I last visited and so forth.

The button has presented me with a list of 10 posts and then I return and there are only two posts.

I post at 1100PM at Night, return at 200AM and the button says there are no active posts. When I search the forum though, I find my post from earily in the evening with 3 responses I hadn't read.

I don't want to use email notification if that is supposed to be affecting this process. Junks up my mail box. Seems to me the list should be static and universal: simply a list of the most recently contributed to threads. This would encourage me to review threads I might skip otherwise.

You have a large table of contents that requires multiple clicks to find and review the status of attended threads, most current threads. Active conversations are being lost/delayed.

Thats my impression. It should have a defined function and perform it.

EDIT: I just used the button again after a hour of making a few posts or reading a few or whatever I did and now the button states there are no active threads to view. That just has to be wrong?---Right?

When and where was the last post made on this forum? I'd like to read it.
Last edited by bobbo on 11-17-2011 06:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Riddick
Pirate

Re: The noob has a question

Post by Riddick » 11-17-2011 07:09 PM

I myself have found the "view active new posts" link to be lacking in its ability to provide a list of 'current' topics - current, that is, so far as the last day is concerned.

However, tweaking the URL a bit, I've come by a link that produces a list of the active topics over the past 24 hours:

search.php?s=&action=getdaily

Hope this helps!

SquidInk

Post by SquidInk » 11-17-2011 07:11 PM

Actually Riddick - that helps me too - thanks.

And thanks, bobbo, for asking.
For if it profit, none dare call it Treason.

bobbo
Banned

the noob got one answer

Post by bobbo » 11-17-2011 07:21 PM

Riddick==most excellent. Exactly what I was looking for--for myself. I see Dale has made a few posts I would not catch otherwise.

Now, we just have to hack this link to the FF Main Page==in the meantime I will make it a link on my desktop.

Yes, I will find it that helpful.

Tweaking Urls huh? Can that be done on all websites or must the site have code set up to do that? (I assume?)

I have "tweaked" urls myself to get a defective link to at least get me to the wesite where I can then search for the link/subject I was looking for===but it wasn't a tweak, more a pruning.

Well done. Thanks.

Fan
Lady with a

Re: Re: The noob has a question

Post by Fan » 11-21-2011 12:26 PM

Riddick wrote: I myself have found the "view active new posts" link to be lacking in its ability to provide a list of 'current' topics - current, that is, so far as the last day is concerned.

However, tweaking the URL a bit, I've come by a link that produces a list of the active topics over the past 24 hours:

search.php?s=&action=getdaily

Hope this helps!

Great job Riddick :)

I have changed the top links to get these posts, rewording the old one and adding this one. Hope this helps!

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 11-21-2011 12:53 PM

I just found this link. Very helpful.

Thanks Riddick and Fan!

:cool:
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 11-21-2011 01:14 PM

This is much better. Thanks Riddick!
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”