Forum downtime

Just what is says. Click and read on.

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 04-07-2013 12:34 AM

Fan,

Thank you for restoring the DB,im not sure what happend but alot of sites seem to be having issues :(

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 04-07-2013 12:41 AM

completely hilarious Squid

:lolchimp:

Raggedyann
Pirate

Post by Raggedyann » 04-07-2013 01:32 AM

Dude111 wrote: Fan,

Thank you for restoring the DB,im not sure what happend but alot of sites seem to be having issues :(

Wonder what's going on out there we know nothing about?
“For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.” Simon Wiesenthal

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-07-2013 09:45 AM

Diogenes wrote: I for one will be extremely upset if one or more of my more obnoxious posts are deleted or tampered with in any way.:monkeyhi:

I dunno....... I think I have you beat with the obnoxious category ;)

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 04-07-2013 09:47 AM

Riddick wrote: ImageImage
TWO-FOUR-SIX-EIGHT -
Who do we appreciate?
Fan! - FAN! - FAN!!

Fan
IS THE Man!

Second!!!! :D Thanks Dale

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-07-2013 10:39 AM

Lotta Fan fans here. :D
Second!!!! Thanks Dale
I'm not really doing anything but trying to keep you guys informed on what's going on. There's not a lot else to be done on our end - just hang tight and Fan will get us back 'shipshape' asap. I'm sure this happening on a weekend is further complicating his task, causing delays.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2013 11:36 AM

God sorry guys, had a huge blowup and have been running around since then.

I am looking into the thread problem, I have a DB backup of course, but I don't see why we would need to restore... strange stuff.

Will post again when there is more news.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2013 11:47 AM

what is weird is you can view the printable versions of those threads, so I don't think it is a database problem...

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 04-07-2013 11:48 AM

When is the latest backup Fan??

We would only lose posts from after the last saved point so it isnt really a big deal....... (Its better than having the threads like they are now (Or is it??))

Im stumped why i cannot quote anyone on bleepingcomputer the last few days!!! -- One of the mods said they cannot reproduce the exact error im seeing but they can trigger a 500 error if they have a OPEN quote (W/o the [/quote] @ the end (I THINK THATS WHAT HE SAID TO ME))

Very strange stuff going on!!!!!!

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2013 11:55 AM

I think I may have fixed it, the post table was corrupt in the DB... will repair other tables but check it out.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2013 11:55 AM

I take daily backups of both files and DB.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 04-07-2013 12:00 PM

when it rains it pours:
The node on which your VPS is hosted is scheduled for a migration on 8-April-2013. Migration window is from 2pm to 10pm. In between that time, our Operations team will gracefully stop the VPS and the node and physically migrate the machine and power it back on from our other facility.

There wont be any change in IP address or any configurations or data within the VPS.
This will not be a VPS level migration and will be a hardware level migration for entire node, from one DC to our new location.

- The hardware node will have to be rebooted as a part of the maintenance and in the process, all VPS servers in the node will be rebooted along with the hardware node. Typically it will just be a quick reboot. But while rebooting the hardware node, the operating system might force the node to run an FSCK. If that is the case, then, the server will be offline until the FSCK completes.

FSCK is a file system check, which is similar to running Scandisk in Windows. We cannot calculate how long it will take and hence we cannot give an exact ETA for this. You can know more about FSCK at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsck

At times, FSCK will restart even if it completes once and that will mean more downtime and hence we schedule a longer maintenance window. If the node reboots without an FSCK, it will be back online in 5 mins. But if it goes for FSCK, it could take a couple of hours and there won't be anything we can do to speed things up.

- We will send you a confirmation email right before the maintenance window and will send a 'maintenance complete' notification once it is over. We will be closely monitoring the entire process during that time. You might see downtime during maintenance window. If you are seeing issues after you receive the 'maintenance completed' notification, please do raise a ticket to support.

- Since we have customers hosted in multiple time zones this maintenance window is selected, so that least number of
customers are affected by the move. We will have full hands on deck to make sure migration goes smoothly.

- We are not expecting any issues, but, if we come across any, then we will notify you regarding the same. In case any problems are encountered, systems which are not rebooted during the scheduled window will be re-scheduled to be rebooted at a later date.
So, expect more downtime tomorrow. Sigh.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-07-2013 12:11 PM

Dude111 wrote: ...Im stumped why i cannot quote anyone on bleepingcomputer the last few days!!! -- One of the mods said they cannot reproduce the exact error im seeing but they can trigger a 500 error if they have a OPEN quote (W/o the @ the end (I THINK THATS WHAT HE SAID TO ME))

Very strange stuff going on!!!!!!
Try other browsers and see if you can reproduce this error on all of them. I recommend Firefox. I'd try but I have no acct on that forum.

Or..you can also just type in the
tags manually or, even better, use a bbcode extension that will do this formatting for you, independent of the site/forum you are on or your security settings.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-07-2013 12:20 PM

Fan wrote: when it rains it pours:

Well, too bad, yes, but the planned and expected outages are much better than the surprise events. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks for the updates, Fan!
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 04-07-2013 12:46 PM

Fan wrote: when it rains it pours:
The node on which your VPS is hosted is scheduled for a migration on 8-April-2013.
Well, even if we're down again at least it won't be "Downageddon" (or doesn't sound like it anyway)...

Anahoo, FFolks, during any down time you can head on over to the Lifeboat at fantasticforum.freeforums.net -

When you sign up, you'll get an activation email for your account; other than acknowledging that, you should be good to go.

The place is pretty spartan, but it IS just a lifeboat - OTOH, there's no women and children first restriction; it has room for EVERYBODY, even adult males.

Return to “Announcements/ FYI”