I'm puzzled

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

I'm puzzled

Post by Iris » 01-05-2003 07:08 PM

Art Bell aired guests and callers with all different types of viewpoints. He never allowed any of them to push religion. He didn't pass judgement or try to embarrass anyone, but was amazingly respectful to all and was a skilled interviewer. Art did all he could to keep the focus of the show off himself, and on his callers and guests.

George Noory cuts off or pooh-poohs callers who have viewpoints that don't agree with his own. He is not a skilled interviewer. He repeatedly pushes his own extremely conservative agenda and religious beliefs. He seems very into passing judgement. He loves to keep the focus of the show centered on himself.

AB and GN are the opposite in many vital ways. What on earth is Clear Channel (who, as a business must want our money) thinking??!!

1. Can they honestly be hoping that C2C will pick up an entirely new and different audience in that overnight time slot? Like there's maybe a spare, but different 10-15 million mainstream Christians that are now going to stay up late to listen to tales about ghosts, aliens, reincarnation, witches and conspiracies (GN did promise to have on Art's former guests)?

2. Or, can they really be stupid enough to think they're going to retain the same 10+ million people audience by offering us the opposite of what the show has been?

3. Or, do they think we're so stupid we won't notice these changes and that they can just reprogram us?

4. OK here's another possibility. Maybe they want to see the show die slowly so they can replace it with something else of their choosing? Why not just shut it down, then?

What do you think? If you were a business running this show, would you do as they are doing? Why?

[This message has been edited by Iris (edited 05 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Iris (edited 05 January 2003).]
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

rolede
Pirate

Post by rolede » 01-05-2003 07:17 PM

Iris- What you say, makes a lot of sense.
One in four people is unbalanced; think of
three friends-if they seem okay-you're it

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

Post by Guest » 01-05-2003 07:21 PM

I don't know what "they" are thinking. But coincidentally, they have 2 Christian spokesmen scheduled this week, including one who thinks we are (yawn....) in the Christian apocalypse. Where have I heard that before?

Oh, yeah, a few days ago Kathleen Keatings was on with George telling us about the Armani suit wearing anti-Christ and the doom awaiting all those who do not claim allegiance to conservative Catholic Theology. Case Closed.

Where have I heard something like that before?

Oh, yeah, on C2C with Barbara Simpson a week ago and someone named Zeph who "witnessed" for Jesus, after having claimed to have been involved in Satanic abuse as a boy. He said that alien abductees were really dealing with satan's demons. Case Closed.

Where have I heard that before?

Oh, yeah, a week before Zeph on C2C, Barbara Simpson had interviewed someone named Hugh Ross who uses modern physics to prove literal fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible, including the proclamation that abductees bring on their own abductions by being involved in the occult. So if you have an abduction, it means you are sinful!!!He failed to define the occult, but I was left with the impression that he and Barbara consider it anything as "dangerous" as watching a HARRY POTTER movie or old reruns of the 60's sitcom "Bewitched". Case Closed.

I have listened to Art Bell for 7 years. Although he had all viewpoints, and I enjoyed the dignity of Father Malachi Martin (while thinking he was essentially deluded), this is getting ridiculous.

What next? Southern Baptist tent revivals LIVE from an Alabama cow pasture on C2C?
Will there be open lines for people to witness for Christ?

Note: I am not revealing anything here about my spiritual beliefs or background per se. But C2C was NOT for this purpose, and Art was always careful to present a potpourri of viewpoints. I sense now that fundamentalist right wing Christianity is now the religion of choice for C2C. I suspect that fits in with Clear Channel's game plan.

[This message has been edited by Savannah (edited 05 January 2003).]

Topaz Ice
Pirate

Post by Topaz Ice » 01-05-2003 07:38 PM

They're messing with it for sure. How badly will they screw it up? I don't know. I sure don't see it retaining the majority of the old listeners like myself. I'm outta there for the most part unless I hear of some great guest scheduled. Even then I'd be hesitant to listen. Fortunately, my radio still plays music around the clock.

One more thing, I'll never believe that Art chose George. Not in a million years! He's about as exciting to listen to as a potato baking, or paint drying.

lutefisk
Pirate

Post by lutefisk » 01-05-2003 07:40 PM

Keep it on Clear Channel....Your radio choice for the Apocalypse!! Image

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 01-05-2003 07:42 PM

If Art DID choose George, it must have been because he wants to see the show destroyed. Maybe if it's destroyed, he can pick it up again in a year or two? Just guessing.

It certainly appears that CC wants to destroy it, though. Maybe they think that if we, it's former fans, turn against it then we won't blame them when it folds? I dunno. The whole thing just doesn't make sense. C2C was one of the top radio shows out there. Why buy it and then ruin it?
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Post by Guest » 01-05-2003 07:43 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lutefisk:
Keep it on Clear Channel....Your radio choice for the Apocalypse!! Image</font>
If the apocalypse happens while I'm napping, please wake me. Page me if I'm at the supermarket. Thanks.

rolede
Pirate

Post by rolede » 01-05-2003 07:49 PM

Please tell me if I am mistaken, but is George Noory getting a degree in Christian Theology? I seem to remember one of Art's subs mentioning that he (sub) was. If so , it could explain a lot of the religious mythology being pushed.

Savannah, as usual I think you are on target.

lonevoice
Pirate

Post by lonevoice » 01-05-2003 08:07 PM

Savannah, thanks for the info about this week's guests. The C2Cam site is soooo slow and awkward (a good fit with the new host) that I never go there. You have to click on each day to see the guest, rather than a display of all the week's guests on one page. It looks like they're trying to inflate their hit count.

I like an occasional biblical prophecy show. Especially enjoyed Art's interviews of Hal Lindsey. Two intelligent, mutually respectful,and inquisitive men with differing viewpoints made for good radio.

But, two in one week??? Hmmmm. Overkill, why? Premrad really scares me.

Shell
Pirate

Post by Shell » 01-05-2003 08:15 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rolede:
Please tell me if I am mistaken, but is George Noory getting a degree in Christian Theology? I seem to remember one of Art's subs mentioning that he (sub) was. If so , it could explain a lot of the religious mythology being pushed. </font>
No, no... that is Ian Punnet.

rolede
Pirate

Post by rolede » 01-05-2003 08:16 PM

Thanks Shell

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 01-05-2003 08:30 PM

Savannah, I think you've put your finger on something here. First, GN bores you into a sound sleep. Then C2C reprograms you to be a good little boy or girl and not make any trouble. Here, just step right up for your microchip implant... er, smallpox vaccine. That must be it!

Post by Guest » 01-05-2003 08:44 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iris:
Savannah, I think you've put your finger on something here. First, GN bores you into a sound sleep. Then C2C reprograms you to be a good little boy or girl and not make any trouble. Here, just step right up for your microchip implant... er, smallpox vaccine. That must be it!</font>
Maybe they intend to distribute it in Communion wafers?

Ian had a deeply religious nature, but he wasn't part of the evangelical crowd. His faith just influenced his interaction with others, and he had a scholarly focus.

As someone said, in the pool of Christianity, most of the racket comes from the shallow end. That seems to be the case with a lot of recent C2C guests.

[This message has been edited by Savannah (edited 05 January 2003).]

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 01-05-2003 11:58 PM

One of the biggest competitors to CC/PremRad are all those small "Christian" talk stations. Maybe PremRad is seeking to transform C2C into a their vehicle to get into that market and further increase their marketshare.

Ian, while he was studying to be an ordained minister, really never tried to force listeners to see the world through that particular lens. C2C now seems to be sending us the signal that this is the only legitamate lens to use when exploring the unknown. Big difference.

------------------
Just call me "Nightvoice". "Eliza" sounds so formal.

Crow T. Robot
Pirate

Post by Crow T. Robot » 01-06-2003 12:24 AM

One thing I thought was a bit strange was when Art retired the first time he was insistant that the format (paranormal) would remain intact. But this time he never said
anything like that. (that I know of)

------------------
"If the apocalypse comes, beep me." - Buffy

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”