Hey, FF Pirates! It's time again to gather 'Art Bell Clues'

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Snowcrush
Pirate

Post by Snowcrush » 01-02-2003 03:46 PM

Hope may cloud observation, but I am comforted by the FM national network idea. This second round of retirement withdrawal is tough....This forum will help until the next wild ride, or third coming of Art, or the Arrival....

------------------
Nightshift,Midnite,30below,Northernlites,Hale-Bopp,GoodJava,ArtBell
Nightshift,Midnite,30below,Northernlites,Hale-Bopp,GoodJava,ArtBell

justanotherham
Pirate

Post by justanotherham » 01-02-2003 04:22 PM

I read a book once about the insides of the commercial radio business, it can be quite cutthroat. If Art is at a position to retire, then so be it. I will try to contact him on the SW airways, but will discuss ham things, not commercial radio

Post by Guest » 01-02-2003 05:12 PM

"All is not what it seems" ???

Could mean that Art didn't really retire, could be that Art and company(the entire co.) was fired (ie) the contract was not renewed.
Now how can there be a no compete cluas with out a contract??
We may hear from him sooner than we have been thinking.
Could this be? I don't know the radio biz so, could this be?

Post by Guest » 01-02-2003 05:42 PM

I had a revelation today. I'm sick of Art Bell and all his BS. I hope he never comes back. I'm so sick of the show being all about him. It's the guests that make the show great. George shows up each and every night. What has Art done for the show in the last 3 years? He didn't even show up last week because he had a cold. His cold didn't stop him from talking on the ham radio till 7am that night! I'm through with Art Bell. He probably didn't even average one show a week over the last year. As far as I'm concerned It's George's show from now on. Even if Art pops up in another format I'm still done with him. I want a host I can get used to and then count on being there. Bell's just not the man for the job. He may have been great in his day but his day has passed. Art Bell is a "has been". His repeatedly deceiving c2c listeners just demonstrates he really doesn't care about anybody but himself. Probably never did.

everaftergirl
Pirate

Post by everaftergirl » 01-02-2003 05:48 PM

Joe...It is obvious you do not like Art and are not an Art Bell fan.

That's why most of us are here. We love Art. He made the show what it is today. It was HIS show...HE made it famous, because we love HIS voice.

If the show doesn't make it, it's not George's fault...it's because Art is gone and no one else will do.

Take a deep breath...get a grip.

Scotty
Pirate

Post by Scotty » 01-02-2003 06:52 PM

Premiere Radio is a huge corporation! Simply put, Art is not a corporate guy - and probably saw the writing on the wall. Sure they syndicated his show, but with syndication comes lots of rules and regulations that would prevent Art from doing the show the way HE wanted to do it.

Premiere radio is not interested in good radio, they are interested in making money. They have their own ideas about how to do that, and it probably interfered with Art's way of doing things. So as Art started to take a step back, he saw the show start to digress to the point it is at now.

Unfortunately, there's really no going back now that art is gone - and Coast to Coast is doomed to its own future. It's only a matter of time until Miss Cleo and Dionne Warwick are put on the list of regulars.
----------

It is strange that Art and George have both mentioned this message board in the past two nights. Keith got his plugs, but why would Art show specific support for this one message board as much as he did for Kieth?

Something happened there too. Remember the banner ads Kieth put up looking for work on the AB website? I thought that whole approach was kind of strange. The first time I saw the ad I felt like I was looking at somebody elses dirty laundry. I'm surprised that nobody's kicking his door in offering him some project or another. He really did kick ass for many years on that web site.

Beam Art Outta Here! Flash 6 required

[This message has been edited by Scotty (edited 02 January 2003).]
Beam Art Outta Here! Flash 6 required

Supernova
Pirate

Post by Supernova » 01-02-2003 08:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scotty:
It is strange that Art and George have both mentioned this message board in the past two nights.

Scotty,

Maybe George knows what Art is planning and is also pointing us here as this is where it will be announced? Maybe the show will not compete with C2C or any other current Clear Channel/Premrad show? It is all very mysterious.

Lastmartian
Pirate

Post by Lastmartian » 01-02-2003 08:56 PM

In some ways I'm not surprised Art left. By his very nature he is incompatible with the 'cookie cutter' kind of radio that's taking over. Maybe Tom Petty's tune 'The last DJ' is about Art. Although I know we haven't heard the last of Art.

Conspiracy Theorist
Pirate

Post by Conspiracy Theorist » 01-02-2003 09:19 PM

You know, I was thinking today about it, and I find it hard to believe that Art would really have hand-picked and groomed George just to come back and cut his throat. Of course, we have no evidence or word from Art that he really picked George, but he's been so gracious I'm beginning to wonder.

Art could come back with an earlier show. He doesn't like days, but he might chose to work earlier in the evening. He'd still be competing against Premrad, but not with George. He might, for example, decide to come on opposite Jeff Rense, who has always been a thorn in his side. The problem is, he might have trouble finding affiliates willing to pick him up in that time slot.

------------------
Rick Jackson

The_One
Pirate

Post by The_One » 01-02-2003 11:08 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scotty:
Keith got his plugs, but why would Art show specific support for this one message board as much as he did for Keith?</font>
Good question... Maybe it's because this site is free for everyone and Keith's is not?
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 01-03-2003 12:45 AM

CT - I believe Art did not 'hire' Noory (have this on a good source), altho' he may have helped with suggestions and pointers for the genre, etc.

TABwebmaster
Boatswain

Post by TABwebmaster » 01-03-2003 01:18 AM

Whatever happens, I hope that George and Art aren't competing with each other with the same hours! I love listening to both of them and I don't think I could choose at this point.

Mark

------------------

yaichi
Pirate

Post by yaichi » 01-03-2003 11:36 AM

In the very first C2C segment last night with RCH, Richard says:

"....this is kind of a mixed evening tonight 'cause I'm sad that Art has tiptoed off the stage for a while....."

Looks like a clue to me and certainly seems that he knows something that we all would love to know.

I think that there were many other phrases/words Richard could have used...I hope that 'a while', this space of time, is a short one ( very short).

Yaichi
yaichi

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 01-03-2003 01:36 PM

my opinion on the plugs for this forum is that we say what Art would say if he could, so instead direct people here to get his point across about the whole big stinkin ball of wax.

I think he likes that we are critical of GN and the way the show's demise is being handled.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Post by Tinkerbell » 01-03-2003 02:27 PM

Hi Pirates! You guys really give me hope that the ride's not over - alot of the clues really make sense and have inspired me to start listening for any new ones.
tinkerbell
Tinkerbell ^..^

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”