pirates what generation(s) are we?

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Ginger
Pirate

pirates what generation(s) are we?

Post by Ginger » 01-11-2003 01:12 PM

just curious...in another post a moderator referred to one of the posters as a kid

wondering if most of us who love art are around his age??older??younger???

i am just four years younger than art..LIBRA 1949...

(i am on some other boards for music and they actually have 'separate' posting areas for 'golden age..over 50' posters!yikes!

[This message has been edited by Ginger (edited 11 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Ginger (edited 11 January 2003).]
ginger
"it's off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of art!!, wanna take a ride????"

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 01-11-2003 01:18 PM

I'm a year younger than Art.
Dev

------------------
--Phaedra is my name
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Post by Guest » 01-11-2003 01:28 PM

I am a boomer. On the freeway of life, Art is about 7 cars ahead of me - I can see the back of his trailer home. I can't catch up with him but we are passing the same landmarks, although he always gets there before me by about 7 years.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 01-11-2003 01:34 PM

Art's ahead of me. I am 44.

------------------
racehorse
racehorse

revisedcode
DREAD PIRATE

Post by revisedcode » 01-11-2003 01:37 PM

36 with 75% grey hair Image

hehe
In war there is but one favorable moment; the great art is to seize it!

Bonaparte

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 01-11-2003 01:40 PM

Just got under the wire to be called a "boomer."

VelvetMask
Pirate

Post by VelvetMask » 01-11-2003 01:49 PM

I'm 43. Moved out here (NM) from VA about 7 yrs ago..and discovered Art one night during a thunderstorm...what a blast! That will always be one of my best memories. The next year, new hubby introduced me to camping..Our tent was one of those that had a thin see through top...we listened to Art while all snuggled in there looking at the stars. Camping in the NM desert...listening to Art...expectantly waiting for..who knows what to happen?! What could be better than that??

------------------
"Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars..."

yaichi
Pirate

Post by yaichi » 01-11-2003 01:52 PM

Another boomer here, neck in neck with Savannah.

Man that good old five ooooo coming up is a toughy, so I think I'll stay forever 49....no actually think I like 39 better (sigh)
yaichi

suvata
Pirate

Post by suvata » 01-11-2003 01:54 PM

At the risk of sounding totally stupid ... how old is Art?

I'm 47 so I don't know if I'm younger or older. Image
~:~ suvata ~:~

Post by Guest » 01-11-2003 01:56 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yaichi:
Another boomer here, neck in neck with Savannah.

Man that good old five ooooo coming up is a toughy, so I think I'll stay forever 49....no actually think I like 39 better (sigh)

</font>
I listen at times to an radio station with music of the 80's and 90's. There was a song of denial popular in the 80's called FOREVER YOUNG. It was playing the other day on the way to work "I want to be forever young..." sung by some blonde tart around 17 years old. She probably looks like Grandma Moses by now. We all age, but with age can come wisdom and tolerance and harmless wickedness (I have a 90 year old dad who still thinks he is the stud meister...amusing to see him at the Senior Center as the elderly ladies line up for a dance.)

I wouldn't want to be young now (no offence to those who are). The times are just so negative and the music is downright hateful. One of my favorite childhood songs was MY GIRL (Temptations?). A remake now would have the hip hop artist singing about how he killed the b**ch and threw her body off a bridge. Then we wonder why kids are so warped. Gee, I sound really old, don't I?

[This message has been edited by Savannah (edited 11 January 2003).]

PackRat
Pirate

Post by PackRat » 01-11-2003 02:03 PM

You and me share a familiarity VelvetMask ..I'm 43 and found Art's show one morning on the way to work during a raging thunderstorm some years ago ..in between the " SsSssShhHhh" and " Cackakakssshhhh " during the lighting strikes here was this talk show host and guest discussing UFO's with sincerity ..couldn't believe I found a show that suited my interest ...been listening ever since.

------------------
From The Hills Of Ky2k , The Alternative Kentucky.
From The Hills Of Ky2k , The Alternative Kentucky.

Iris
Pirate

Post by Iris » 01-11-2003 02:31 PM

I agree with Art (and Savanah) about today's music -- bleah! The stuff's awful. In the late '60s kids did such radical stuff that they left nothing rational for the following generations to do to establish their mark to be different. What were they supposed to do to rebel against their parents? Get a crew cut and a bow tie? They *had* to dye their hair pink and wear safety pins in their noses. Since each generation rebels against their parents it should be very interesting to see what the next generation of kids will do. What's left to them? I'm 756 years old, btw (but I don't look a day over 500).

[This message has been edited by Iris (edited 11 January 2003).]
We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

Post by Guest » 01-11-2003 02:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iris:
I agree with Art (and Savanah) about today's music -- bleah! The stuff's awful. In the late '60s kids did such radical stuff that they left nothing rational for the following generations to do to establish their mark to be different. What were they supposed to do to rebel against their parents? Get a crew cut and a bow tie? They *had* to dye their hair pink and wear safety pins in their noses. Since each generation rebels against their parents it should be very interesting to see what the next generation of kids will do. What's left to them? I'm 756 years old, btw.</font>
Iris,

While rebellion is part of growing up and asserting your own identity, I do wonder if the outer manifestations are to a great extent created by the media. I was alive in the late 60's in the days of FLOWER POWER, and that is what all the albums were about, the psycedelic music, the fashions, etc. Capitalism is like some amoeba that surrounds anything new, digests it, clones it and spits it out at K Mart (now Walmart). So any small social movement becomes extremely publicized if capitalism sees money in it. The music industry is always desperate for the next big fix, searching for what they can pump and sell as the next generation's "image" of rebellion. Without that industry, I think teens would rebell the way they did for thousands of years, via their inner attitudes and inner self discovery. It does not require a massive American pop culture to sustain that part of human growth, but that industry lives off that stage in human life like a parasite, a huge bloated flea that hopes from 1 "dog" to another (as one generation grows up and leaves behind the juvenile trappings of rebellion the industry must jump to the next one).

One Eyed Cat
Pirate

Post by One Eyed Cat » 01-11-2003 02:59 PM

At 42 I consider myself a late Boomer, aka, a Joneser. In addition to the C2C interviews, I enjoyed Art's selection of bumper music, a lot of long forgotten middle-of-the-road songs from the '70s, an era most Boomer program directors neglect -- even dispise. I think Art is familiar with '70s top 40 songs because he was a DJ in Okinawa during most of that decade and the music probably evokes fonder memories than songs of the '60s (when Art was in the Air Force.)

I wonder though, why Art never played any Carpenters, especially "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft." Probably thought the Carpenters would put people to sleep; I like the Carpenters and am unashamed to admit it. Image

np: This Masquerade, The Carpenters

yaichi
Pirate

Post by yaichi » 01-11-2003 02:59 PM

In all honesty, the age thing really doesn't bother me, other than the constant amazement that time goes by so quickly - the reminder that 5 decades have already been spent...some wisely, I guess and some perhaps not.

I do believe though, that there is something to the ideology of 'young at heart', although, not in terms or concept of the song 'Forever Young'

I've met many young in years people that seemed 'old' in the youth, as well as many 'older' folks whose spirit seemed grounded in effervecent youth.

I agree with you Savannah, that I really would not want to be younger, although must confess that some of the superficial attributes, at times seem attractive ( yeah, guess the pun was somewhat inteded).

One of the many, yet interesting parts of life's journey, is starting out thinking that you know everything and the further one walks down life's journey, realizing how little one really does and will ever know....must be some correlation to why many of us are here, taking that ride with Art.

One of the most (amond many) endearing attributes I love about Art, is the youthful, almost childlike, inquisitive quality and amazement he shares and maintains, when he comes across something unknown, new, unexplainable, despite his experience, knowledge, intellect and then yeah...the good old age factor.

Now about music, today or should I say what happened to music, 'cause I 'sure can't call it that today....Savannah, think your lyrics could make you some big $$$...your right on.. whatever, but then " you don't know me" ...am I missing the hidden meaning of the social commentary???

Peace...gotta run until later
yaichi

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”