Ode to Art

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Ode to Art

Post by Devastated » 02-18-2003 10:16 AM

Hi, Art fans. This board has been a little slow lately, and I notice GN is posting on the C2C deck, so I thought I'd review my reasons for loving Art Bell the pirate.
Art, thanks for retiring and not giving into pressure both economic and political. Thanks for keeping your own broadcast integrity.
I miss you a whole lot, especially at night, but as soon as I'm home I'm going to try for a listening post at Jim and Leah's, and I've got my eye out for a shortwave with proper sideband so I can listen in away from the computer....or try to, anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, Art is a cutting edge communicator and all substitutes are dull in comparison. It's not the subject matter, it's not the guests, it's Art Bell.
I'm keeping my ears open for an earthly radio signal from the One and Only. As for taking rides with Strangers....they don't go where I want to go.
Thanks to the folks in the Ship's ORR for keeping the faith.
Dev

------------------
--Phaedra is my name
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 02-18-2003 12:35 PM

I'm with you Dev. Art is/was one of a kind.

As for Snoory, as long as he stays in his proper forum, I guess I can live with him here. At least he dropped the Julie bit. I will always hold a grudge for him telling me to 'get bent' as his androgenous alter-ego.

Have a good time down sout' Dev.
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 02-18-2003 01:30 PM

Dev', I thoroughly enjoyed your 'Ode to ART' piece. Your words, to me, ring clear as a BELL, too!

ART BELL certainly is a master radio-host craftsman -- a one of a kind, kind person -- whom we all miss, am certain.

Ninerism

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 02-18-2003 03:31 PM

Art Bell is the greatest talk radio host who has ever broadcast. I look forward to the night when Art will return to the airwaves. However, unlike some I will not deprive myself of listening to quality programs on the show that Art created. In fact, I am certain Art would want all of us to continue to listen and keep both the program and the format alive!

------------------
racehorse

[This message has been edited by racehorse (edited 18 February 2003).]
racehorse

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-18-2003 05:06 PM

Me, too, Dev.

I am an Art Bell fan who also listened to C2C. I have been checking out GN from time to time, and I think he's coming around... at least as far as the problems that bugged me... and I do listen when the guests or the topic sounds interesting. He's getting better at handling callers, he's asking more coherent questions, and since the William Henry debacle, he may be finding the importance of being open and honest with Art's fans... we sort of took that for granted.

The main reason I think he's comning around is that he isn't trying to be Art. Good move. Art is a one-off item, and trying to "do" him is a fool's errand.

C2C is merely a radio program... one that frequently covers topics that interest me. Art Bell was and is a freakin' wonder. Now that there is no connection between Art and Coast, there is no comparison.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 02-18-2003 05:20 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Devastated:
Hi, Art fans. This board has been a little slow lately, and I notice GN is posting on the C2C deck, so I thought I'd review my reasons for loving Art Bell the pirate.
Art, thanks for retiring and not giving into pressure both economic and political. Thanks for keeping your own broadcast integrity.
I miss you a whole lot, especially at night, but as soon as I'm home I'm going to try for a listening post at Jim and Leah's, and I've got my eye out for a shortwave with proper sideband so I can listen in away from the computer....or try to, anyway.
As far as I'm concerned, Art is a cutting edge communicator and all substitutes are dull in comparison. It's not the subject matter, it's not the guests, it's Art Bell.
I'm keeping my ears open for an earthly radio signal from the One and Only. As for taking rides with Strangers....they don't go where I want to go.
Thanks to the folks in the Ship's ORR for keeping the faith.
Dev

</font>
Hello Pirates,

Long time lurker.

Devistated thank you for starting this thread.

I'd like to thank Art for:

[li]His creativity, pioneering and visionary spirit[/li]
[li]His intellect which was evident on each and every program he hosted, regardless of what his health, personal or professional life dealt him[/li]
[li]His dedication to ensure he was knowledgeable and more than prepared for any guest or caller[/li]
[li]His professionalism[/li]
[li]His ability to engage a rivetting interview without the need to expound his beliefs or point of view ( seldom )[/li]
[li]His ability to laugh at himself[/li]
[li]His ability and honesty to share his foibles: gluing his lips with CrazyGlue, Falling off his porch[/li]
[li]His almost childlike curiosity countered with a steel trap mind[/li]
[li]His enthusiasm or apparent lack thereof when appropriate[/li]
[li}His admitting that he was NOT a journalist, but a 'talk show host' and knowing the difference[/li]
[li]His sharing as much of he did of his life, family, knowing that he loved what he did, yet didn't enjoy the attention and celebrity status this often brings[/li]
[li]Standing up to potentially risky, controversial and non middle of the road point to view...for having the fortitude and stamina to go where few dare to go and to seek the truth[/li]
[li]For the hours he has provided a venue that expanded my thinking furthering a quesst for more[/li]
[li]For all the hours of knowledge and entertainment I owe to this great man, his venue, his vision[/li]
[li]His bumper music, which echos Art, a conditioned precursor which signifies the start line to take that ride with Him and seems almost sacreligeous when played by anyone else with vacuous result[/li]
[li]For having the guts to stand for something, rather than to cow to the pressure of a system with agenda[/li]

Art, I and I'm sure many, thank you for the wonderful ride we have been given and still enjoy, from your old programs that seem to have been extremely popular on many download sites. These are gems, to be enjoyed for many re-listens.

I am sad though, that your 'baby' Coast to Coast, will inevitabley be destroyed by the current leadership on all levels. I for one, have no more hair to lose, ripping it out and swearing at my radio for the unfortunate inadept dialogue I have tried to listen to night after night in your absense, with great guest to boot, unless of course the guest, carries the show.....whether 1/2 asleep or awake.

I salute and thank you, Art, my midnight friend. There is no-one who can do it like you do...thanks so much for what you've given. I wish you health, happiness & peace in your 'retirement', however if we are ever fortunate enough for you to have a change of heart, significantly improved health....

I truly do hope that we are fortunate enough to hear you again in another format other than SW.....the world is just not the same without that Bell mind...somewhere out there!

Appreciativelly,
AC

p.s. sorry folks, my bullets aren't working here in this format, but my bold is..what am I screwing up??

[This message has been edited by alphacentaura (edited 18 February 2003).]

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 02-19-2003 01:17 AM

Great to get a chance to meet you in cyberspace, AC. Welcome aboard!

C2C is morphing into the original radio version of "Larry King." It is a format that's proven and fits with CC's broadcast philosophy. We're getting a clue of the pressures that must have been put on Art to turn his show into a clone of someone else's.

It shows the courage of a person to maintain integrity. or stupidity. In any case, we should all be that stupid. Then CC would not be in the position they are in with the abliity to control the content heard over American's public airways.

MeesterCranky
Pirate

Post by MeesterCranky » 02-19-2003 09:40 AM

As the new kid in town, I've seen these posts alluding to Snoory posting in here and taking members on... can someone tell me where to find these to read?

George is infuriating... the other night when he had Solara on he interrupted her and callers so many times... fumbling and asking the same questions over and over... he sounds like a high school kid his first time on the air! I didn't have any huge interest or belief in this 11:11 thing but George made it positively unlistenable. What a friggin maroon.
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."
Voltaire

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 02-19-2003 11:07 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MeesterCranky:
I've seen these posts alluding to Snoory posting in here and taking members on... can someone tell me where to find these to read?
</font>
Hi MC. Great to have you aboard this very unique ship, especially someone from Torrance!

The latest posts are under the "C2C" topic, "And another one bites the dust."

benner
Pirate

Post by benner » 02-19-2003 01:55 PM

Hey meester; Give him hell!
Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you - if you don't play, you can't win.

-Robert Heinlein

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 02-19-2003 03:19 PM

Torrance!

Ain't life a beach?

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

eliza_nightvoice
Pirate

Post by eliza_nightvoice » 02-19-2003 05:28 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morgan:
Torrance!

Ain't life a beach?
</font>
Actually the beach is Redondo Beach. Image

Ninerism
Pirate

Post by Ninerism » 02-19-2003 05:30 PM

Oh, I should not have failed to say, too, for the record, that I think that GEORGE NOORY is a very nice man, too! And as ART BELL told us, too, I believe GEORGE NOORY "gets it!"

Ninerism

alphacentaura
Pirate

Post by alphacentaura » 02-19-2003 05:42 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ninerism:
Oh, I should not have failed to say, too, for the record, that I think that GEORGE NOORY is a very nice man, too! And as ART BELL told us, too, I believe GEORGE NOORY "gets it!"

Ninerism
</font>
In the context of "nothing and no-one is how it seems" this is a most appropriate comment.

Stickers and extra gummy bears for all...let's hail the new king of 'getting it'!

Kenia
Pirate

Post by Kenia » 02-19-2003 07:35 PM

C2C is merely a radio program... one that frequently covers topics that interest me. Art Bell was and is a freakin' wonder. Now that there is no connection between Art and Coast, there is no comparison.

Well said!
Inorder to save $$ from having to replace radios that would hit my wall at 55mph +
I have settled with C2C..Outta-sound
outta-sight! I do alot better, as do my radios, not waiting and wishing night after night for the C2C broadcasting tower to suddenly vaporize from a trophy size lightning bolt.
There is a surprising amount of listen-able
alternate radio out there, if I'm willing to search it out and accept that I can ruin an interesting topic by comparing it to the uncomparable talents of Art.
Seasons change, so perhaps with the winter thaw we will hear more of Mr. Bell as he warms back up to radio.

Kenia-

Kenia-
Taking it for what it is....
Kenia

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”