The long wait begins

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

bupper12
Pirate

The long wait begins

Post by bupper12 » 03-11-2003 02:30 PM

The long wait begins. Art is now retired. His CD's have been shipped. The smoke has cleared leaving an emptiness. The conversation about Art on this message board has begun to fall off perceptively in the absence of any recent news. The dark time has begun. True, we can catch him on the ham radio but it is not the same. The dark time is now upon us. 1 year and 10 months is an awfully long time.

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-11-2003 05:27 PM

Well, yeah.

It's a little different this time... at least for those of us on our third lap around this devil's racetrack. This time, because of the circumstances and the rather substantial hints and rumors, we know a bit more.

We know Premrad is the bad guy... granted, it was pretty easy to assume that before, but it has become even more obvious this time. I'm not quite ready to list Premrad as the fourth member of the Axis of Evil, but they are on the short list.

We know Art is not coming back to C2C barring some serious surprise... such as the complete collapse of our tangly corporate legal system. I, for one, PRAY he will stay away from the network of the Beast next time.

We know Art's back is not the real problem. This one really cheers me up. The real situation has more to do with his pirate flag and his quote about slitting throats.

We know Art is still Art, and that he intends to get back on the air doing what he loves, as soon as he can do it without a lawsuit. Or maybe WITH a lawsuit if he thinks he can win it quicker than he can outlast it.

We kinda sorta know how long this long, dark, teatime of the soul will be; based on fairly substantial guesses and assumptions about non-compete clauses and other annoying crap.

I must admit, it feels a LITTLE better for me... still bad, mind you, but not so bad as when I thought he had gone off in his motor home and left me with dead air forever.

Hey, someday we will look back on this and laugh nervously and change the subject.. right?

Right?

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

bupper12
Pirate

Post by bupper12 » 03-11-2003 06:20 PM

Yea morgan, there is a difference this time. It's a bit easier to deal with than when we thought he was leaving for good.

Still, I'm in the mood to listen to a show right now. In the old days I could pick one out of the archives and start listening. I could pick a guest and a subject that I was interested in because I always did find about half the guests "too far out" for my tastes.

1 year and 10 months is still a long time. I've already become awfully tired of listening to Art and the rest of the 3840 group talking about ham radio. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the 3840 group. It's just that it is not the same.

FastTransAm
Pirate

Post by FastTransAm » 03-11-2003 11:20 PM

How sure are you guys that Art will return in a year and 10 months? If he does return it will be interesting to see how the syndication plays out with Art and George both having the same time slots, I presume.

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-11-2003 11:38 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FastTransAm:
How sure are you guys that Art will return in a year and 10 months? If he does return it will be interesting to see how the syndication plays out with Art and George both having the same time slots, I presume.</font>
I'm not sure of the time... or even of the if... but I'm sure he will try. He will try as early as he can get away with it.

If he can retrieve his audience (us!) he'll get the stations... and probably a fight from Premrad in the form of restrictions on their affiliates... but he'll try.

Hell, imagine what would happen if Art started a webcast! I bet we'd have to pass a law or something to keep the whole Net from buckling!

Geeze, that'd be fun. Then, when all of the empty headed corporate types see the gold and rush to the net, Art can have AM radio back. Man, I'm cheering myself up already.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

Post by Guest » 03-12-2003 02:27 AM

You won't have to worry about Art going up against George Snoory - I'm sure George won't last even close to 2years. Premiere was already looking for tryouts for possible replacement hosts - they asked Lan already!

Gestas
Pirate

Post by Gestas » 03-12-2003 02:46 AM

Remember when we used to be able to hook up with Art's website and get the audio feed of the show for free? Those were the days! That's what Art's about and if he can he will bring back those days!
I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed.

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Post by Tinkerbell » 03-12-2003 05:58 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Morgan:
Well, yeah.
It's a little different this time... at least for those of us on our third lap around this devil's racetrack. This time, because of the circumstances and the rather substantial hints and rumors, we know a bit more.
</font>
This is my first time around, but after reading the posts in this thread (and others,
as well!) I feel a little better about the "Dark Time" ahead. Its good to know I can come here and find all you fellow Pirates who are enduring the wait as best they can. Thanks for being here!

Tinkerbell <^..^>

------------------
Tinkerbell <^..^>
Tinkerbell ^..^

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious
- Albert Einstein

jeri sexton
Pirate

Post by jeri sexton » 03-12-2003 06:48 AM

Yep, losing Art off the airways is like losing that boyfriend that you loved so much/ only if your a girl i guess, but the guys.. ya there best buddy..'

Too me the first break up was a shock' it didn't last to long tho.. he came back..

The second time when he went off to war, in Nashville.. well that was really a tough one.. We waited, waited and hoped and prayed he would come back.. He finally did.. But he had a few scars/ but, didn't matter.. He came back alive' and well..

And then Clear Channel' the dirty dogs.. something was wrong.. Art didn't seem like he was very happy, and then his back broke, almost.. Time out, time in.. time out, that was difficult for him as well as us..
The decision came again, this time with some warning, it hurt, but we were a little tougher by then.. In fact a lot tougher..'

We let him go once again, only because we had too, there was no choice..

So now, when we find ourselves out in the moon light, with only the stars to guide us..
We think, and remember when we jumped on the roaring frieght train in the night and took a ride.. The best ride we ever had.. It was the ride of our life. It was Art and Radio all the way..

And i just can't wait til the time comes round again, when i can sing'
"My Boyfriend's back, and your going to be in trouble'.. Hey la, de, da, My boyfriends Back!
Hey ya know that i've been dying, hey you know that i'm been cryin'..

He's been gone for a very long time, hey la de, da.. MY BOYFRIEND's BACK!.."

lol, ya miss him so much, i can't even think about it for now.
'It's been too long of time, with no peace of mind, and i'm still waitin' for the times to get better'... I hope there better for you Art', i hope so..
YOUR EMAIL BOUCES PLEASE FIX IT or DO NOT subscribe to email notices.

Devastated
Moderator - Hammock Expert

Post by Devastated » 03-12-2003 07:38 AM

Oh, Art. I miss you so bad. I'm......
Devastated

------------------
Remember, these are the GOOD times.....
You don't have to believe everything that you think...

Halo
Pirate

Post by Halo » 03-12-2003 10:45 AM

**Morgan wrote
**The real situation has more to do with his **pirate flag and his quote about slitting **throats.

Hi Morgan,

Would you mind elaborating on this comment a little. I am wondering what this is about??

Thanks,

Halo

Morgan
Pirate

Post by Morgan » 03-12-2003 03:23 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Halo:
**Morgan wrote
**The real situation has more to do with his **pirate flag and his quote about slitting **throats.

Hi Morgan,

Would you mind elaborating on this comment a little. I am wondering what this is about??

Thanks,

Halo
</font>
Quite a while ago, Art hoisted the skull and crossbones in his back yard ... and on his webcam.. and quoted (I think) Menken: There comes a time in every man's life when you must spit on your hands, hoist the jolly roger, and start slitting throats." That's a paraphrase of the quote, and maybe the wrong source... but you get the spirit of the thing.

I believe it was when he was taking some people to court over allegations of criminal activity in his past or something.

There are some military tenets that fit quite well with what I think..and hope.. Art is doing: Know your enemy (obvious, but often skipped over), choose your battles carefully (not so obvious, but critical) and one other... you can generally choose either the time or the place of a battle, if you do choose to fight it. You can almost never get the situation where you get to choose both.

I think Art chose the time. That is what the attacker generally gets to choose. The place is the radio waves. So instead of slap fighting with corporate suits right now to get his show back to what it was before, he has withdrawn to wait for better conditions.

At the time of his choice, I expect to see Art swinging back on deck with his cutlass drawn and a dagger in his teeth... and Premrad will be defending with worn bits of paper.

------------------
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**
Morgan the Primate
**Cogito Ergo Spud**

dollyfinn
Pirate

Post by dollyfinn » 03-15-2003 01:31 PM

Can I ask for some advice??? I would love to get into short wave radio but know nothing about it. Can anyone suggest some good websites or books that would help me to learn more? I would love to listen in on Art's group but wouldn't know how to even start.

Thanks so much,
g

Doug
Pirate

Post by Doug » 03-15-2003 07:25 PM

Hello dollyfinn, and welcome aboard!

You can go to the Ham Radio Section of the forum to get some great tips. There is loads of information at www.arrl.org and www.qrz.com

I'm sure that you can get more than enough info from these sources,
and questions are always welcome in the Ham Radio section. Image

------------------
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

[This message has been edited by DougBupstateNY (edited 15 March 2003).]
ï'm ®ïgh‡ ߀hïÑÐ ¥Øµ!
~Doug~

dollyfinn
Pirate

Post by dollyfinn » 03-15-2003 08:18 PM

Dear DougBupstateNY,