Art Bell>>retire>>nope

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

OidarAM

Art Bell>>retire>>nope

Post by OidarAM » 05-03-2005 09:07 AM

I heard Art mention a new deal maybe.
He might be doing only 26 shows a year come June/July and have the other half of the year to take weekends off.

I heard this on 3840 but did not catch the full story coming from Art due to static.

Not sure how this will work....every other weekend?

I do know he has that nice RV and would like to take more trips but said the NEW deal would allow him good $$ and keep his Med. coverage in his NEW DEAL.

So that is what little I heard. Guess time will fill in the rest. OAM
OidarAM

Dr Powerfun
Pirate

Post by Dr Powerfun » 05-03-2005 09:43 AM

Well that's certainly new(s), &
Such a deal! (For Art that is!)
Now, if such a deal should come to pass..

and if anyone from Premiere would ask me,

for those weekends when Art's not doing C2C,
I'd like to see (and hear) a CLASSIC Art show one nite
and a new show the other, hosted by the ever-popular
and nearly world-famous personality
T.B.A. :D ;)

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 05-03-2005 05:12 PM

Dr Powerfun wrote: Well that's certainly new(s), &
Such a deal! (For Art that is!)
Now, if such a deal should come to pass..

and if anyone from Premiere would ask me,

for those weekends when Art's not doing C2C,
I'd like to see (and hear) a CLASSIC Art show one nite
and a new show the other, hosted by the ever-popular
and nearly world-famous personality
T.B.A. :D ;)

Oh, I hope it is Barbara Simpson! I remember she is Racehorsie's favorite! :D
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 05-03-2005 06:42 PM

Westward Ho wrote: Oh, I hope it is Barbara Simpson! I remember she is Racehorsie's favorite! :D

Westward Ho, It is quite strange that you "remember" things that I never stated or believed. I like Barbara but did not think that she was a good choice to host "Coast to Coast AM" as I indicated in the posts reproduced below taken from many similar posts.

_________

showthread.php?s=&postid=23003#post23003
racehorse wrote: Tonight's show was the worst I have heard in ages. Do not blame George for this fiasco though, Barbara Simpson deserves the honors!

________

showthread.php?s=&postid=195662&highlig ... post195662
racehorse wrote: I don't think so. George still mentions her when he signs off every night. I like Barbara but broadcasting Paranormal Radio is not one of her her strong points. She is a good political host, though.

No talk radio host knows more about the paranormal and UFOs than Hilly.[/B]
racehorse

HurricaneJoanie
Pirate Queen

Don't Leave Me This-a Waaaayyyy

Post by HurricaneJoanie » 05-03-2005 07:14 PM

Art, if you're "listening," we've had JUST about ENOUGH of your "retirements," "semi- retirements," quitting, etc. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to limit your weekends, make decisions about which months you'll work, when you can "enjoy" life, etc.!

Take breaks from KNYE but NOT from C2C 'cause we can't take those Art Bell withdrawal pangs again!!!!

And THAT'S THAT! And so say all (I hope) of us!

Your pal from you know where,
HJ
It's either real or it's a dream, There's nothing that is in between. ~ Jeff Lynne

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 05-03-2005 07:17 PM

I hope it isn't true that Art wants to do every other weekend, I find that rumors like these are just rumors.
I would like to see Barbara fill in once in awhile and I do like her, I listen to her weekend show on KSFO San Francisco from 4-7 Pacitic time on Sat. and Sun. Here is a recent pic of her.

OidarAM

I heard this

Post by OidarAM » 05-03-2005 09:18 PM

on 3840 from Art Bell so unless he is making up a rumor himself.........

I did not say every other weekend.....was for sure......I guessed after hearing him say 25 shows a year and not having to work every weekend.......maybe a few should reread what I wrote.....I came in late and static also made it hard to hear....I said in my starting post what I heard and said what I am guessing about CLEARLY!

I would not just make this up PERIOD!!

Time will tell the rest of the story.........I will update as I often listen to 3840 and know Art's voice very well. I have listened to him for over 8 years.

I will let you know when I hear more info from ART
OidarAM

OidarAM

Facts I heard

Post by OidarAM » 05-03-2005 09:24 PM

25 shows a year
will not have to work every weekend
will still have medical coverage
good money deal

hope this is simple and clear what ART Bell said that I heard.
OidarAM

Linnea

Post by Linnea » 05-03-2005 10:32 PM

Heard you clear the first time, OidarAir - you were very specific. I think your analysis may be right. Every other weekend, with hopefully - the classic Art Bell shows in between. That would be just great. Semi-retirement is much, much better than no Art at all.

Wondering if Ramona would do some fill in? Nah - she would be off travelling with Art and the kitties.

Don't see why a live host would be needed for the taped shows. Art could just do the commercials on tape as well. Art has enough classic shows to last for quite a while. If there is a live host on a weekend fill in - it would be great if it were Ian Punnett. IN fact - those of us for Punnett should start bombarding Premiere Radio with that request NOW..... ;)

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-04-2005 12:30 AM

But Linn, I thought he was semi-retired already...would this be semi semi retirement....

The Art I remember that I used to sit on the edge of my seat is gone.

The guy with the flying chair, the blow by blow description of the Phoenix lights, the secret guys from Area 51, the people that used to call in like Mel, and so many others. I used to have the feeling that I could not wait to hear Art that night with much anticiaption.

It is not the same and will never be again. The enthusiasm that he used to have I do not hear any longer. He has too many other things he wants to do. The shows with excitement in his voice are gone.

I don't think 25 shows a year is better than nothing. He will not be there when things happen, to follow with us with whatever is happening. He is different.

The Art I used to get excited over is gone.:(
Last edited by tiffany on 05-04-2005 12:41 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 05-04-2005 12:56 AM

The Art I used to get excited over is gone -tiff
Not gone completely but that Art only shows up about 4-5 times a year lately. He needs more time off. .. or something..

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-04-2005 01:00 AM

Dale OSea wrote: Not gone completely but that Art only shows up about 4-5 times a year lately. He needs more time off. .. or something..

You are right and I was on my way here when I read your post Dale. I was going to post this:

Notice that Art has some really out of character shows and we wonder if CC picked them for him.

Now I'm thinking what if this is a way to slowly mold us into accepting him every other weekend as his every other weekend shows are not Art classic shows but just a few.

Maybe they want us to get used to the idea. Just maybe playing with our minds.:eek:

tiffany
Pirate

Post by tiffany » 05-04-2005 10:10 AM

I woke up this morning thinking this.

Art used to have Linda Morton/H on. I remember the excitement of the crop circle that was a possible answser to Arecebo (?). I remember going to his site and looking at all the pictures and feeling a wow. What about having the Hopi's on for a review of their prophesies. There is so much he does not have on anymore. The underground city off Cuba that could maybe be Atlantis, what happened to that.

He never has Linda or others on anymore. Just GN for a few. He doesn't talk of crop circles or even mention Mel of late. He doesn't have a Area 51 employee line, etc.

I miss those exciting days. George has those that are exciting, even just a little. How many shows from Art have been about Nanotech or some other scientific non thrilling subject matter.

Art just does weekends. It's as if it is on purpose that he has the guests he has, so that we are manipulated into listening to George for the exciting guests. Except George does not have that type of thrill in his interviews that Art could muster. (not being negative about GN, just his style is not the same as he even states).

I think Clear Channel has been using the old psycological consultant to slowly get us to withdraw from the Art Bell genre' and accept the new one.

C2C is number one because there is not much else on late at night.

Don't like the new site nor the new genre'. The thrill is gone along with the exciting information that no longer is there.

I will say that George has had some very good roundtable's so credit must go to him for those good shows.

I wish for Art's old site, the pictures, the information, the thrills, the excitement. The guests who wowed us.

It is gone and Art is aware of it. He is not a stupid man. Sure he wants to do a lot less. I do understand but not happily. It is very sad that that exciting time of exploration, teamwork with the listeners, and adventure is gone. Sad, truly sad. He doesn't have that even on the weekends, at least as Dale states, very rarely.

They (CC) are doing this on purpose as I think Art wants very little to do with C2C. I believe what this thread is about is true. He just wants a little bit of time on air, to get some cash, and medical. Can't blame him. But don't like what CC is trying to do to old Art's listeners. The slow seduction, sorry we are smarter then that.

Just explorer's. Art taught us to question, to explore, to see behind the questions or mystery. Now we are wingnuts to question. He wasn't talking of just 9/11 when he said that. So was he playing us along all those years. Was he not a bit interested or a bit questioned about the strange occurances that he brought out. I hope he was not laughing behind our backs at the material we were so interested in that he brought out.

The fact is that Art does not even have on the weekends, the kind of shows he had all week before. Does that not seem strange to anyone. He is given the boring shows. He does not push for the unknown, the mystery of the night, the exicitement of the *is this true*.

If it's true and he will be on only half of the time he is now, then he should at least for his long time listeners, make sure that each and every time he is on, he has a interesting, bite your nail, guest. The kind he used to have. The kind he enticed us with. Yes enticed us with. He only would have to do that 25 or 26 times a year. He has the whole rest of the year to find those interesting guests and make for more classic shows. Or is it all about the money and medical now. He influenced so many. He was the pied piper. He is responsible for the long time listener's interest. He was the cause of their interest. He did a very good job. If he is going to be on, he needs to project that genre'. The one that made his show so great for those who have faithfully listened to him all these years.

I feel like a enticed gunea pig. First steak every night and it was so tender. Then none at all more than once, but the excitement that something Mysterious and Reassuring was going to happen, happened. Oh the anticipation. Then steak again, wow it tasted so good, then steak here and there, then steak on the weekends, then steak maybe every other weekend or 1/2 a year...the steak is slowly being dragged away, but slowly, to get us used to it.

I don't want to hear replay's of Art. The part that really excited me was that we were all listening together at present events with Art at the helm. I don't want to hear him talk about something that happened several years ago. It's not the same. It's not the team feeling of us all knowing and all supporting whatever was currently going on. The Pheonix lights, the guy with the flying chair, the crop circle that just happened, the mysterious hole that just occured, the sighting of this or that. The food storage for the big event. I don't want to hear about a alien that was seen in 1996 for my weekend radio talk.

Okay done and very sad and missing the old times, the excitement, the anticipation that is gone.:(
Last edited by tiffany on 05-04-2005 11:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 05-04-2005 11:45 AM

Racehorse,

Don't be so touchy. I remember posts where you said you agreed with everything she said politically (whereas to me, she is about as right wing conservative as they come in the Bay Area). That is OK, I was just teasing you.

I am disappointed that Art has lost his passion. We heard for years that radio was his passion, and that he just loved it. So if that is gone, where is his passion (besides Ramona, which I assumed was always there even when the passion was shared with radio).

I just feel sorry for a man who had a great passion in life and seems to be setting it asside. But we all grow and change, and I hope this means that Art will find another passion. Sitting around in a rocking chair and watching the lizards dash across the AB Compound isn't my concept of a passionate existence.

My opinion is that Art is in a mild way a torn man. When he has something he doesnt really want it. Then when it is gone, he wants it back. Back and forth. I am frankly tired of hearing about his retirement. It is like the little boy crying wolf. Was it 3 or 4 times when he proclaimed he would NEVER be back, and yet came back? Again, he just doesn't ever seem just settled in with what he is doing. He wants something until he gets it - then he is bored.

Perhaps he is meant to explore some new territory that gives him a sense of challenge. Maybe that is why the passion is missing, because he has reached the pinacle of the mountain and is just sitting on the mountain top bored? Maybe he needs a new mountain, e.g., creating a brand new format for satellite radio or something with a bit of uncertainty for him. I suspect he is just bored with doing the same thing.

Of course, most of us working stiffs have no choice but to do this, but the world famous Art Bell has other options.

I am reminded of the artist Thomas Kincaid. He was really hot in the late 80's and created a lot of idealistic paintings of various cities and dream cottages. These caught on, and suddenly he was a big industry, and his images were pasted on lunch boxes and coffee mugs. There is even a housing tract near Napa, California, where the homes are built to resemble Kincaid fantasy cottages. But the man, in my opinion, got really bored with cranking out the same junk all the time (hotel room art). He got sloppy and any energy in the paintings has been long gone. His chain of mall stores hawking his goods are closing one by one because the public is now saturated with these saccarine scenes. Yet Kincaid is still locked into a formula, so like a puppet he continues to pump out these lifeless paintings for the bins at Walmart. This man began also with Passion and became a product, forced into doing the same thing over and over.

What really surprises me is that there isnt a younger Art Bell out there, a man of PASSION to take the genre to a new level. George is a corporate radio announcer, doing a good enough job. But there is no passion in George either - he is doing a job, and doing it reasonably well. But George is not an eccentric character like Art, you can just feel it in the voice. George is a company radio announcer. If he left C2C, he is generic enough to be doing HGTV home improvement show voice overs next! Can you picture Art doing that? World of difference. But where are the young mavericks? Where is the Howard Stern of the paranormal? ;)
Last edited by Westward Ho on 05-04-2005 11:56 AM, edited 1 time in total.
"I had plenty of pimples as a kid. One day I fell asleep in the library. When I woke up, a blind man was reading my face." Rodney Dangerfield

Westward Ho
Pirate

Post by Westward Ho » 05-04-2005 11:51 AM

Hey Tif,

Steak is really bad for you. Baaaaaaaad.

Try baked skinless chicken breasts or pasta with fresh vegies! :D
Last edited by Westward Ho on 05-04-2005 12:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”