The thinking behind Art's big decision

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

The thinking behind Art's big decision

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-19-2006 01:52 PM

I've been reading here and elsewhere all kinds of 'theories' being tossed about on what this latest adventure Art is on is really about. I've read that Ramona, knowing her health issues were life threatening, may have engineered the meeting before her death. And there's many other theories floating around out there, some more sinister that I won't mention here. I'm sure most of us that have read a mystery or watched one on TV have had those thoughts. That's not at all where I'm going and I hope we don't go there here. Please, out of respect for Ramona's memory, do not.

But if I may, let me add my own cockamamie theory to this mix and you can tell me what you think. Just maybe, since Ramona's death, maybe even prior to that, Art has been wanting out of C2C and the spotlight again. That's not much of a stretch with his history. Not that I presume he's thinking clearly right now - in fact, I'm sure he's not. But this obviously self-destructive & career-destructive maneuvering is his way of retiring without enlisting that much overused 'retirement' exit strategy again. I personally don't think that even Art, with all his radio/tech expertise, will be able to overcome the technical difficulties to get an "Art Bell" quality show to us from Manila. Not with the time delay obstacle (I know he's always been fascinated with time travel. Maybe he has a new trick up his sleeve for this one to try out???).

I could be wrong and hope I am. I think, at least for awhile, a show originating from offshore will be very interesting and refreshing. But this way; he takes the fall, evacuates his lofty, demanding pedestal by looking like the bad guy. And George, who's been silent on this so far, who has been trying to climb out of Art's shadow since day one, and Art's baby C2CAM, reaps the benefit of Art falling on his sword, so to speak.

I said it was "cockamamie." But it makes me think...How about you?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by Dale O Sea on 04-19-2006 01:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 04-19-2006 02:24 PM

Thank you Dale, for your honesty, and guts in posting your thoughts on this.

You, and others may be interested to read the following.

On the Radio - Under the Gun

KALIBO, Philippines
n a dark, cramped studio in this small provincial town about 200 miles south of Manila, Herson "Bombo Boy" Hinolan used to start his top-rated show on DYIN Bombo Radyo with a bang. Literally.

Hinolan blasted corrupt officials and illegal gambling, naming names and punctuating his fiery commentary with deafening bangs on a bass drum propped in the corner. His "shock jock" style drove up the station's ratings even as it put his life at risk. One night last November, a gunman shot Hinolan repeatedly in the back, making him one of eight Philippine journalists murdered for their work in 2004.

Broadcasting from remote areas where the power of radio is strong and the rule of law weak, boisterous commentators such as Hinolan are being gunned down in record numbers, the Committee to Protect Journalists has found. Of 22 journalists murdered in connection with their work in the Philippines since 2000, 17 were radio commentators from rural provinces who were shot and killed for what they said on the air. In May, CPJ named the Philippines the most murderous country in the world for journalists over the past five years.

To date, there has not been a single court conviction in any of the killings.

The violence against broadcasters highlights the larger crisis of crime and corruption in this nation of 7,000 islands and 82 million people. Government officials are suspected of involvement in half of the murder cases. Little concrete legal action has been taken against the majority of suspects—despite misleading government data that classifies cases as "solved" at the mere identification of a suspect. Under threat from powerful local officials and warlords, witnesses to murders are frequently too fearful to testify, further impeding prosecution. In one notorious case, two witnesses were assassinated before an ex-cop went to trial for gunning down a broadcaster.

A culture of guns and lawlessness fuels the violence. More than a half million illegal firearms are in circulation, according to police estimates, at a time when violent crime has been rising at alarming, double-digit rates.

In interviews with journalists around the country, many also pointed to problems within the media community itself. They complained about an absence of professional standards and ethics among some broadcast journalists, particularly "block-timers" who lease airtime from station owners. An ineffective broadcast regulator with toothless enforcement powers, they said, contributes to a climate in which violence is the primary means of accountability...

More, with charts and photos...
http://www.cpj.org/Briefings/2005/phil_05/phil_05.html

HB3

Post by HB3 » 04-19-2006 02:26 PM

I'm just looking forward to more interviews with the GIS and Ed Dames.

Daneel
Pirate

Post by Daneel » 04-19-2006 02:33 PM

I certainly hope this doesn't cause problems for Art when he moves.....anyone remember this?

http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 14/OPINION

Patty
Pirate

Re: The thinking behind Art's big decision

Post by Patty » 04-19-2006 02:33 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I've been reading here and elsewhere all kinds of 'theories' being tossed about on what this latest adventure Art is on is really about. I've read that Ramona, knowing her health issues were life threatening, may have engineered the meeting before her death. And there's many other theories floating around out there, some more sinister that I won't mention here. I'm sure most of us that have read a mystery or watched one on TV have had those thoughts. That's not at all where I'm going and I hope we don't go there here. Please, out of respect for Ramona's memory, do not.

But if I may, let me add my own cockamamie theory to this mix and you can tell me what you think. Just maybe, since Ramona's death, maybe even prior to that, Art has been wanting out of C2C and the spotlight again. That's not much of a stretch with his history. Not that I presume he's thinking clearly right now - in fact, I'm sure he's not. But this obviously self-destructive & career-destructive maneuvering is his way of retiring without enlisting that much overused 'retirement' exit strategy again. I personally don't think that even Art, with all his radio/tech expertise, will be able to overcome the technical difficulties to get an "Art Bell" quality show to us from Manila. Not with the time delay obstacle (I know he's always been fascinated with time travel. Maybe he has a new trick up his sleeve for this one to try out???).

I could be wrong and hope I am. I think, at least for awhile, a show originating from offshore will be very interesting and refreshing. But this way; he takes the fall, evacuates his lofty, demanding pedestal by looking like the bad guy. And George, who's been silent on this so far, who has been trying to climb out of Art's shadow since day one, and Art's baby C2CAM, reaps the benefit of Art falling on his sword, so to speak.

I said it was "cockamamie." But it makes me think...How about you?

Any thoughts?
Dale O Sea, I don't agree with the thought that he wants out of the show, not now anyway. Maybe in the near future. I think when Ramona passed it was his golden opportunity to leave the show without getting any resistance, and actually I didn't really expect him back for a long long time. But he came back and I just think he is really excited to try the show in a completely new environment. It might not work, and things may change again, but I do believe if he wanted the ride to be over (again :) ) he would not have come back after the passing of Ramona. JMHO. :) Off the subject for a second, I am kinda PC illiterate and maybe you can tell me how to only quote a part of the post when responding. I just can't seem to figure it out and always end up quoting the whole post using up WAY too much space. Thanks.:)
Last edited by Patty on 04-19-2006 02:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 04-19-2006 02:37 PM

Yep, I have worries about him moving there. I wish that he would decide not to sell his 5 acres.

snowbird

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-19-2006 02:56 PM

I didn't know Art was broadcasting from the Philippines. The show will originate from there but I couldn't find any C2CAM affiliates listed for Art to be considered a Philippine broadcaster -- unless you count the internet feeds. He does have a reputation there due to that forged email or whatever it was that could potentially get him killed, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not sure what either of your posts (mw&HB3) have to do with this thread. I was looking for input on my little theory or some perhaps of your own on what, besides love, marriage and loneliness, may have motivated this smart, sane and sensible person to make these very rash and sudden life changing decisions.

I've heard this too many times from this man not to suspect there is more to this-

"Things are not what they appear"

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 04-19-2006 03:05 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I didn't know Art was broadcasting from the Philippines. The show will originate from there but I couldn't find any C2CAM affiliates listed for Art to be considered a Philippine broadcaster -- unless you count the internet feeds. He does have a reputation there due to that forged email or whatever it was that could potentially get him killed, I guess.

Anyway, I'm not sure what either of your posts (mw&HB3) have to do with this thread. I was looking for input on my little theory or some perhaps of your own on what, besides love, marriage and loneliness, may have motivated this smart, sane and sensible person to make these very rash and sudden life changing decisions.

I've heard this too many times from this man not to suspect there is more to this-

I do agree with you about "things are not as they appear". He is taking us on another ride and it has been fun so far. I think he justs wants to feel ALIVE and she, and the adventure of it all, makes him feel that way. I am usually without much to say, now I can't seem to shut up !:D :D Oh, and I moved my out of place post. NOW I will shutup.:D

OidarAM

Post by OidarAM » 04-19-2006 03:13 PM

ok, I wonder if he knows the sh*t is about to really hit the fan here in the US.

Maybe he figures it is just time to go live there and start a new life.

Nothing is as it seems.........ha !

He is 60 and what the heck I would say if I was him.

I say spank me hard if you don't like what I do with my life. It is my life!

I think the show will work just fine from there. He will be guarded well in that building. Someone said they have everything there. He won't have to go ou unless he want to.

If anyone had a true idea about what is coming down in the US I would think it might be ART.....I could be wrong
OidarAM

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Re: Re: The thinking behind Art's big decision

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-19-2006 03:16 PM

Patty wrote: Dale O Sea, I don't agree with the thought that he wants out of the show, not now anyway. Maybe in the near future. I think when Ramona passed it was his golden opportunity to leave the show without getting any resistance, and actually I didn't really expect him back for a long long time. But he came back and I just think he is really excited to try the show in a completely new environment. It might not work, and things may change again, but I do believe if he wanted the ride to be over (again :) ) he would not have come back after the passing of Ramona. JMHO. :) Off the subject for a second, I am kinda PC illiterate and maybe you can tell me how to only quote a part of the post when responding. I just can't seem to figure it out and always end up quoting the whole post using up WAY too much space. Thanks.:)

heheh, I don't expect you to agree - not a requirement. :) Yes, he could have never came back after Ramona's death, but that's not Art's style. I'm probably way off but it occurred to me and I put it up here as food for thought.

As for you question, just surround whatever text you want to quote with the quote tag (in red):
{quote} your text here {/quote}

*Note--I had to use the { & } brackets to get the demonstration line above to work. Substitute [ for the { and the ] for the } and you'll have it.

This is the manual way to do it as you type and yields the same thing result this next method does. You can also click on the Quote button above the post field and paste or type your text in there. Both ways work fine.
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-19-2006 03:21 PM

Originally posted by OidarAM
ok, I wonder if he knows the sh*t is about to really hit the fan here in the US.

Maybe he figures it is just time to go live there and start a new life.

Nothing is as it seems.........ha !

He is 60 and what the heck I would say if I was him.

I say spank me hard if you don't like what I do with my life. It is my life!

I think the show will work just fine from there. He will be guarded well in that building. Someone said they have everything there. He won't have to go ou unless he want to.

If anyone had a true idea about what is coming down in the US I would think it might be ART.....I could be wrong

That thought hit me too, OidarAM. I can't think of a better time in recent history to become an ex-pat with all that's going on,
[size=0]"Question everything, especially your media and their motives. -Me[/size]

mudwoman
Pirate

Post by mudwoman » 04-19-2006 03:24 PM

Dale O Sea wrote: I didn't know Art was broadcasting from the Philippines. The show will originate from there but I couldn't find any C2CAM affiliates listed for Art to be considered a Philippine broadcaster -- unless you count the internet feeds. He does have a reputation there due to that forged email or whatever it was that could potentially get him killed, I guess.

I am sorry Dale, I don't have a theory, but I find yours very interesting. I didn't intend to sidetrack your thread.

S

Bellisima
Pirate

Re: Re: The thinking behind Art's big decision

Post by Bellisima » 04-19-2006 03:38 PM

Patty wrote: Off the subject for a second, I am kinda PC illiterate and maybe you can tell me how to only quote a part of the post when responding. I just can't seem to figure it out and always end up quoting the whole post using up WAY too much space. Thanks.:)

I just delete any portion of the quoted text I don't want to repeat. ;)
ImageA silent mouth is sweet to hear.
Irish saying

Dale O Sea
Rogue Wingnut Pirate

Post by Dale O Sea » 04-19-2006 03:38 PM

mudwoman wrote: I am sorry Dale, I don't have a theory, but I find yours very interesting. I didn't intend to sidetrack your thread.

S

No problem, Sandy. I find myself doing the same alot too. Your article deserves it's own thread. Very good, though scary, piece. I really hope it doesn't pertain to our Art's situation.

I also hope its not widespread knowledge he's there doing his show but we are very close nations due to past military bases being there and now the Internet brings us even closer. Maybe that dye job is part of his disguise there? Heheh. Image

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 04-19-2006 03:41 PM

Thank you Dale ! I printed out what you said so I can try it ! I will forget by the time I need it, if not. :D :D Thank you too, Bellisima, I kinda tried that but I must not of done it right cause I ended up with the entire post again. I probably just screwed it up someway. But I will work on it.
Last edited by Patty on 04-19-2006 03:46 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”