Screened... Or Not Screened?

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Screened... Or Not Screened?

Post by Tinkerbell » 02-05-2007 01:09 AM

I've been meaning to get this posted here since last Sunday's show (Dec. 28th).
I'm a bit surprised that there has been no mention of it (that I know of) from any fellow pirates before now.

For those of you who may have missed it, at the beginning of the show last Sunday, a caller asked Art if he was going to be continuing with the "screened call format" now that he's back in the states. Art's reply was:

"Ummm... I think so... you know, I actually thought about it and I could take unscreened calls, as a matter of fact, the way it's set up now. That didn't occur to me for awhile, but uh... so I might do it... I might do it".

It was kind of confusing because at the beginning he said he thought the screening would continue, but it seemed to me that when he said he might do it at the end of his response, he meant he might go back to unscreened calls. Maybe I got the wrong impression. I would like to know what some of you that heard it think he meant, please!

Then the caller asked, "Is there an advantage to the screened calls and the unscreened calls?"
Art's responded with:

"Ohhh... I don't know. I wonder about that myself. Your odds of getting through are pretty much equal whether its screened or whether its unscreened... uh, either way, I don't know that it makes a gigantic difference."

I don't think the caller meant what the odds of getting through are, when he asked the question, but again, that's just my opinion and I could be wrong. All in all, it sure sounded to me, like Art isn't very enthusiastic about the idea of going back to unscreened calls... a complete turn around from the way he's always felt about it before!
:(

What do you think?

Tinkerbell
Tinkerbell ^..^

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious
- Albert Einstein

HB3

Post by HB3 » 02-05-2007 01:12 AM

Lame!

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-05-2007 01:21 AM

There is another thread about screened calls here somewhere, Art mentioned when he first came back to the U.S. he was going to unscreened calls, so who knows, I for one hope he does.

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Post by Tinkerbell » 02-05-2007 01:34 AM

Shirleypal wrote: There is another thread about screened calls here somewhere, Art mentioned when he first came back to the U.S. he was going to unscreened calls, so who knows, I for one hope he does.
Yes Shirley, I know I remember reading that thread - I think I even posted something myself. In fact, its something that's been mentioned here alot, I think, since Art moved to Manila and the screening first started. So I think I pretty much know how many of the pirates feel about it and that's why I decided to start this thread.

Thank you, and also HB3 for your responses!
:)
Tinkerbell ^..^

- Albert Einstein

Tinkerbell
Pirate

I WAS GOING TO...

Post by Tinkerbell » 02-05-2007 01:45 AM

I was going to wait and see what you all had to say after reading what Art said, but decided to go ahead and post this now.

I was thinking that maybe we could flood him with emails, telling him how much we miss the unscreened calls and how screening them has resulted in the open lines losing the "zest" and uniqueness that made it such an important part of every show. For me, open lines was my favorite part of the show. Now I find it no longer holds my interest, other than an occasional call every now and then. I think it sounds mediocre and run-of-the-mill these days, and that's a shame. But maybe if enough of us send Art an email telling him how we feel, we can get him to go back to the old way. Maybe he needs to be reminded what a difference it makes in listening to calls that are screened, since he's on the phone with the callers, instead of hearing them as we, the listeners do. I think it’s worth a shot - I'm going to email him as soon as I finish here. I hope some of you will do the same, because it won't get his attention unless he knows that there are a lot of us who are not at all happy with screening. I think he needs to know and would want to know our opinions on the subject, since he’s always said that honesty between him and his listeners was important and one of the things that make the show as successful as it is.

Tinkerbell

I did send Art an email with my feelings on this. In it, I said that there are many listeners who feel as I do. So please Pirates, back me up and let Art know what your opinions are on screened calls being permanent. In my opinion, based on what he said last Sunday, I don't think he's made a final decision and maybe hearing from us will help him to make the right one!
Last edited by Tinkerbell on 02-05-2007 01:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkerbell ^..^

- Albert Einstein

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-05-2007 02:03 AM

I have emailed Art more than once about this, but will again.
[email protected]
[email protected]

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-05-2007 02:09 AM

Art just announced unscreened calls starting next week, must have heard us.

Tinkerbell
Pirate

Post by Tinkerbell » 02-05-2007 02:56 AM

Shirleypal wrote: Art just announced unscreened calls starting next week, must have heard us.

Wow! That's great news!

I just now turned the show on, so I didn't hear it. Thank you for posting it here, Shirley!:D :D :D :D
Tinkerbell ^..^

- Albert Einstein

Black Bart
Pirate

Post by Black Bart » 02-05-2007 12:42 PM

Art just wanted to bring it back to how it was in the old days. A caller brought it up a few weeks back and Art is just the type of guy to try ideas from the callers. I just hope we don't get a call from that weirdo who calls himself the "Antichrist" every week.

Ziroc
Pirate

Post by Ziroc » 02-06-2007 11:44 PM

Next, he needs to be able to play his own music... Those idiots in LA play crap sometimes even when Art is on....

Any does anyone else notice that the into music is different when Premiere runs it? Its not the same version Art has. I think Art had the song sped up a tiny bit, and phased the sound of it.

Anyone else notice this? When you listen to the opening music on one of Georgie's shows, then listen to the bass beat, speed and sound. Then go listen to an older Art classic.
Ziroc™
"I thought there was no Chill town!" - Howie Gordon - BB6/BB7 AS

Biker
Pirate

Post by Biker » 02-07-2007 12:36 AM

I believe that Art said that he was going unscreened with open lines and screened with guests. I could be wrong.

Biker

Black Bart
Pirate

Post by Black Bart » 02-07-2007 09:25 PM

Biker wrote: I believe that Art said that he was going unscreened with open lines and screened with guests. I could be wrong.

Biker

Good idea.

majda
Pirate

Post by majda » 02-07-2007 10:34 PM

Biker wrote: I believe that Art said that he was going unscreened with open lines and screened with guests. I could be wrong.

Biker

Yes I heard that also Biker.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 02-08-2007 12:04 AM

Biker

I just relistened to Art's announcement about no more screened calls, he said nothing about screening calls when guests were on, what he said was unscreened calls when there is open lines, if he were going to screen calls when guests are on I think he would have said that.

Plainsman
Pirate

Post by Plainsman » 02-08-2007 01:23 AM

Art is not going to be able to go with all unscreened calls, I don't believe. What are they going to do, pay the professional call screeners in LA to do nothing all night? Those guys and gals are going to justify their salaries by keeping their fingers in the pie one way or another.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”