I don't get it.

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

DefX
Pirate

I don't get it.

Post by DefX » 06-14-2003 12:08 PM

A couple points about this anti-AB archive trading stance taken by Prem.

1- this all comes down to this: most of us would rather listen to 5 year old Art Bell shows than the garbage currently being 'produced' by Prem.

Coast now is like a tv sitcom. It's fabricated. It's not a natural talk show anymore. The callers are brutal and George...I dunno about George...some nights he's at least decent and others.....but..I will say the guest's and topics are much better than they were in Jan/Feb/Mar. Although...did anybody notice that when Art was on they stuck him with two stiffs? I thought that last Thursday that Art hosted was about as bad a guest as he's had to interview.

2- A lot of the classic shows are CBC....does Prem. now own those too? Did Art sell them his entire catelog of shows? Or does Art own those?
If those older shows are property of Art/CBC then only he can tell us not to trade the old shows.

I just do not get it.
So,if I take my Verscorder...tape Coast..transfer it to my PC..burn it in mp3 to a cd and then GIVE/TRADE it to somebody for PRIVATE PERSONAL USE....will Premrat have an isue with that?

If so then this is nothing but a gross contradiction and Prem rat should be taken to task for this harrassment (sp?).

Somebody should tape a spot of george promoting the versa corder as a way to tape Coast..I could see PRN pulling that ad so it couldn't be used agaisnt them should this ever escalate.

Thing is..You can't SELL copyrighted material nor can you use it for professional means or boradcast.

And since neither is being doen here....what can they do?

The_One
Pirate

Re: I don't get it.

Post by The_One » 06-14-2003 06:29 PM

This might not have anything to do with anything, but it seems to me that Amazon.com was having a similar problem with this about a year ago. I can't remember all the details, but basically, Amazon was being hassled concerning its sales of used books. Apparently, the beef on the part of the publishers or whomever was that Amazon.com was making it ***too easy*** for people to buy a used book at discount prices rather than forcing them to have to buy a brand new copy. Never mind that many of these old books are out of print! :rolleyes:
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

Post by Guest » 06-14-2003 06:32 PM

Art's classic shows at least up to 1998 were available for free listening by anyone on the internet with Real Audio player. Since they were given away for free (as long as you didn't try to make money on it) - how can they not be still shareable for free? I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle after it was released. The later shows once PremRat charged for listening to newer show archives only are a different case, but not the older classic shows from 1994-~1998.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Re: Re: I don't get it.

Post by Shirleypal » 06-14-2003 07:17 PM

The_One wrote: This might not have anything to do with anything, but it seems to me that Amazon.com was having a similar problem with this about a year ago. I can't remember all the details, but basically, Amazon was being hassled concerning its sales of used books. Apparently, the beef on the part of the publishers or whomever was that Amazon.com was making it ***too easy*** for people to buy a used book at discount prices rather than forcing them to have to buy a brand new copy. Never mind that many of these old books are out of print! :rolleyes:

That doesn't make any since at all, what next close all the used book stores, I have a huge library and if I can find a book used instead of new I buy it. Watch out when you have garage sales the Prem Rat Police may be watching, don't accidently put an old casette tape of one of Art's show up for sale.

Waiting to take a ride, want to come along?

The_One
Pirate

Re: Re: Re: I don't get it.

Post by The_One » 06-14-2003 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Shirleypal
That doesn't make any since at all, what next close all the used book stores <snip>

That's exactly what Amazon.com said in their own defense. But I think what the publishers were *really* mad about was how easy Amazon made it to buy used rather than new. For example, if you look up "Global Superstorm" on Amazon.com, you will see all about the book (price, reviews, ISBN number, etc.) plus be able to view the front and back covers and read an excerpt from the book. But you'll also be able to see that there are 37 new and used copies that can be bought directly from other Amazon customers on the cheap.

In fact, there's a very prominent link to click right there to buy the used books or to sell your own copy. And this is what the publishers were all pissed off about. They wanted Amazon to bury this information on some other page or at least make it that much harder for their customers to find it. I guess everyone should be required to buy a brand new copy if at all possible! (NOT!) Have these publishers never heard of freedom of choice? Or price shopping??? :mad:

Anyway, Amazon stood up to these bullies and that "buy it used" link is still there today. YEAH! Go Amazon.com!!!

Waiting to take a ride, want to come along?

ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!!!!! :D
Last edited by The_One on 06-14-2003 08:13 PM, edited 1 time in total.
~*~*~*~*~*
Kacy C.
"Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it."
...Andre' Gide

Gotrox
Pirate

allrightythen

Post by Gotrox » 06-14-2003 08:35 PM

Hypothetical situation:
You are a member of a large group.
You need to get information to them without the competition finding out your proprietary information.
You take your information file, and with Shell Toys XP, Change The Extension to something totally off the wall---lets say, for example, you have a info.txt file, and change the extension to XYZ
You now have a file info.XYZ, but the "others" are watching for a file by the name of info, so you change it to something else, lets say, bogus, for example----now you have a file named bogus.XYZ
Now you need to get it to everyone, without being traced.
You get a program called WINMX from frontcode.com.
After setting it up, you go into shared file types, and in the "other file types" you type in XYZ.
Now, anyone looking for files of a certain type, lets say, info.txt, will not find any, but anyone who knows the new extension XYZ, will find a whole list of everyone who has them, and knowing that the original extension was txt, can change it back to that after recieving the file.

Maybe a bit technical, but works---especially if you have a plugin for winmx called "MxMonitor", which can block no shares, sharing people with certain names, etc etc etc.
I am presuming you have the necessary precautions already, firewall, proxy, etc.:D

Hypothetically, of course!
Last edited by Gotrox on 06-14-2003 08:39 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”