Moderator: Super Moderators

lrs
Pirate

Re: Art Bell- Associated Press Story

Post by lrs » 09-19-2003 07:53 PM

racehorse wrote:

Associated Press--

9/19/2003 03:10 pm--

Less than a year after retiring, Art Bell is returning as weekend host of the overnight radio talk show he founded about UFO sightings, arcane mysteries and conspiracy theories.

Bell, 58, of Pahrump, said in a statement through Premiere Radio Networks that his Saturday morning return to Coast to Coast AM would be"both mysterious and reassuring."

Kraig Kitchin, network president and chief operating officer, said Bell's return"reflects his long-standing bond with this audience and his undying passion for radio."

Bell airs broadcasts from his home in the Nevada desert, about 60 miles west of Las Vegas.

He retired Jan. 1, citing ongoing back problems. He turned the microphone over to regular guest host George Noory on weekdays and Barbara Simpson on weekends.

Premiere said Bell will replace Simpson, and broadcast live from 1-5 a.m. EDT Saturdays and Sundays.

Noory signed a long-term contract this week to remain as host of the show on weekday mornings, Premiere spokeswoman Amir Forester said.

Coast to Coast AM airs on 475 stations nationwide. Los Angeles-based Premiere is a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communications, of San Antonio, Texas.

Bell created the show in 1993, but resigned in April 2000 after his son was kidnapped and raped in 1997 by a substitute teacher. Bell said he was also falsely accused of being a child molester.

He returned to the air in February 2001, saying his family and legal issues had been resolved.

___

RH, thanks for this. Not only does it explain what has been going on these past years (which was hideous...we can all agree), but it also demonstrates how important the story is.
An AP release, IMO, is no small deal.

And though the news is all very exciting tonight, let us please take a moment again to remember. The first suggestion of "Mysterious and Reassuring", was on this Forum.

How cool.

Thanks again,
lrs

hikergirl
Pirate

Post by hikergirl » 09-19-2003 10:30 PM

I am very happy to welcome Art back, and I must say, I won't miss Barbara at all since she has become so political, but Evelyn Pagnini............yuck! One of the most unfavorite of his guests!

Jade
Pirate

Where to tune in

Post by Jade » 09-21-2003 12:02 AM

Hi. I'm new here and was wondering how I can access Art Bell's weekend shows via radio from Chicago. (thanks)

Jade

sss
Pirate

Post by sss » 09-21-2003 01:00 AM

Hello Jade,

I'm from Chicago also, and I find the best thing to do is to stream the broadcast. I stream from the following site, http://www.newstalk1130.com/streaming.html .

You could also try tuning to 1510am. It is a station from either Nashville or Memphis, and sometimes its comes really good, but its not a sure fire bet, so I would advise using the radio station streaming audio from the above link.

I e-mailed WLS during this past week asking them to carry C2C on the weekend, and I would recommend you and other people from Chicago do the same, maybe if enough of us crank up WLS they will start carrying it.

I hope these ideas might help you.

SSS:)

Jade
Pirate

Post by Jade » 09-21-2003 08:15 AM

Thanks for the ideas, SSS. I'll contact WLS as well.

Jade

Jade
Pirate

Post by Jade » 09-21-2003 09:05 AM

Hi Chicagoans,

I just looked up WLS radio and asked them to carry C2C on the weekend. The link is http://www.wlsam.com/els/elsMainMenu.asp" or you try "http://www.wlsam.com/els/elsSignupFrm.a ... ID=9812581" if you are interested in making this request as well. Select WLS management under "Email Us."

Regards,
Jade

alphacentaura
Pirate

Best Wishes to Barbara

Post by alphacentaura » 09-21-2003 11:32 AM

Just wanted to drop a post to wish Barbara well and to thank her for her contribution to Coast.

Although I haven't enjoyed her program of late, I do remember at time when I truly looked forward to her weekend programs.

Thanks Barbara, for all the good times.....all the best. :)

Black Tassel
Pirate

Post by Black Tassel » 09-21-2003 11:51 AM

I agree, alphacentaura..... I'll miss Barbara. She and George have had a huge mountain to climb trying to follow Art, 'specially under PremRad's thumb!

Just t'aint possible, is it?

Just Brenda

joequinn
Magister Ludi

Post by joequinn » 09-21-2003 03:32 PM

Ah, but Barbara is NOT disappearing. Art Bell specifically said last night that she would be kept in reserve against those occasions when both he and George would be tied up. We have NOT heard the last of Barbara Simpson.

Which is precisely why I am feeling nervous about the current situation, even though I am delighted that Art Bell is back on weekends (when I can best listen to him). Prem Rad is obviously orchestrating a host situation of maximal fluidity which, I fear, may fluctuate on a month-by-month basis as the ratings go up and down. And how can you develop the personality of a show out of that? Art Bell started out from nowhere as a nobody, and he slowly and gradually built COAST-TO-COAST up to a powerhouse strictly and solely on the basis of his personality.

But the last thing that Prem Rad --- that ANY corporation --- wants to do is to cultivate personality, since personality is a big obstacle to the rule-by-bottom-line mentality. Look at all the trouble that Prem Rad had with Art Bell when they first acquired his show. They had a whole line of gimmicks, carefully fine-tuned by means of focus group analysis, which they wanted to roll out to "improve" the show. And Art stopped 'em dead in their tracks, at least in the short run, by saying quietly: "I don't feel comfortable with them, and I don't think that my listeners will like them." That --- the force of Art's personality, which was the soul of his show --- stopped them right dead in their tracks. At least until Art became a guest host on his own show...

Corporations HATE personality, and they seek to squelch it at every turn. Why? Because personality is the only factor that can make a successful end-run around their bean-counter mentality. And now, with a whole bunch of people available "on call," personality is not on a premium with COAST-TO-COAST. And if COAST-TO-COAST does not shimmer with personality (as it most certainly did last night with Art Bell), then what real future does it have?

Regards and best wishes to you all,

Joe Quinn
"Fuggedah about it, Jake --- it's Chinatown!"

zeppo
Pirate

Post by zeppo » 09-21-2003 08:48 PM

joequinn wrote: We have NOT heard the last of Barbara Simpson.
Try to think positively. Maybe it is. We can always hope.

Tobor the Great
Pirate

Post by Tobor the Great » 09-21-2003 08:58 PM

Jade wrote: Hi Chicagoans,

I just looked up WLS radio and asked them to carry C2C on the weekend. The link is http://www.wlsam.com/els/elsMainMenu.asp" or you try "http://www.wlsam.com/els/elsSignupFrm.a ... ID=9812581" if you are interested in making this request as well. Select WLS management under "Email Us."

Regards,
Jade

Good God NO! Nate Clay is the single most entertaining host that WLS has. I like Art but Nate is one of the Last Bastions of LOCAL talk in a syndicated marketplace. I'm near Chicago and I get weekend C2C on many channels with no problem. Try:
1100 Wtam
1470 Joliet
1510 Nashville
1530 WSAI Cinncinnati
1180 out of Rochester

Lot's of Alternatives!

harwar
Pirate

Re: Fool me once....

Post by harwar » 09-22-2003 11:53 AM

AlJazzera wrote: I wonder if Art will suffer the group of Dullards,Dumbells,Dopes and Dimwits that usually polluted the first hour of open lines each weekend with Babs! Hope NOT.... Same group of Drips ruined the first weekend hour EVERY friggin' show had to tune out almost weekly! :)

After trying very hard to listen to barbara simpson,i finally gave up.Any interesting,insiteful & intelectual comments were quickly nipped in the bud and rushed off the air.Woe to the caller who dared disagree with her.Is it any wonder that the same people kept getting thru.
I also failed in my quest to listen nightly to george noory.After a time,i totally gave up on radio all together.
I couldn't be happier at Arts' return and i am hoping to quickly adjust to being an avid listener once again.
"oh my soul,your voyages have been my native land"

hikergirl
Pirate

Post by hikergirl » 09-22-2003 05:45 PM

Harwar, your sentiments match mine exactly. She would hastily cut off those that didn't agree with her, saying "oh, I guess we lost that caller." So transparent.

AmericasPatriot
Pirate

Re: Re: Fool me once....

Post by AmericasPatriot » 09-23-2003 01:28 AM

harwar wrote: After trying very hard to listen to barbara simpson,i finally gave up.Any interesting,insiteful & intelectual comments were quickly nipped in the bud and rushed off the air.Woe to the caller who dared disagree with her.Is it any wonder that the same people kept getting thru.
I also failed in my quest to listen nightly to george noory.After a time,i totally gave up on radio all together.
I couldn't be happier at Arts' return and i am hoping to quickly adjust to being an avid listener once again.

I got tired of hearing Blabs saying "We should see dead bodies on TV" everytime somebody brought up 9/11, having absolutely no regard for the families of the victims.

I'm glad she's gone and Art is back to bring class back to Coast on the weekends.

racehorse
Pirate

Post by racehorse » 09-25-2003 11:17 PM

Saturday September 27th, 2003

Host
Art Bell

David M. Jacobs

Books
The Threat
UFOs and Abductions: Challenging the Borders of Knowledge

Websites
ufoabduction.com

Upcoming
David Jacobs -Alien Abduction- ufoabduction.com

Historian David Jacobs (ufoabduction.com) will highlight some of the key events and theories that surround the subject of UFOs and alien abductions.
_________

Sunday September 28th, 2003

Host
Art Bell

Douglas Mulhall

Books
Our Molecular Future

Websites
ourmolecularfuture.com

Upcoming
Douglas Mulhall -Nanotechnology-

Author Douglas Mulhall will discuss Nanotechnology and the possible findings of the smallest, perhaps most ancient organism. Its discovery has challenged the definition of life.
racehorse

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”