From Art Bell

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 05-25-2011 08:07 PM

The new FF2 is maintaining the integrity and vision of the original FF. Hope more will join up with old friends on the new ship.
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

CoastZone
Pirate

Post by CoastZone » 05-25-2011 08:57 PM

Saharaka wrote: The new FF2 is maintaining the integrity and vision of the original FF. Hope more will join up with old friends on the new ship.

No thanks. If they want to pretend to be the Fantastic Forum then nothing can stop them from being pretenders to this forum's legacy.

I don't come in here linking my forum in posts. Not even in my signature. I have it one place. That is where it asks for website info. I don't even discuss it.There is something about respect.

This is THE FANTASTIC FORUM. No other has the rich history. No other can claim to be the first fan based coast to coast am forum. This is the place to be.

Linnea would never approve usage of FF2.
Last edited by CoastZone on 05-25-2011 08:59 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-25-2011 09:42 PM

I would like to reply to both CoastZone, and Saharaka here.

CoastZone: Really, you shouldn't presume to speak for Linnea (nor should anyone else in my opinion. Not at this forum, nor the other. No one, absolutely no one can say what Linnea would think of the goings on here and over there. As I recall, Linnea specifically did not like for people to speak for her, nor presume her thoughts and feelings). The fact is, many of her friends started that forum, many were participating here with Linnea recently and stuck with her through thick and thin. I am close with a few people there, and I can tell you that it is a fact, that they believe they are carrying on the true legacy of the Fantastic Forum, and are doing so in honor of their friend Linnea. While I do not agree with some of their feelings about the changes at this forum, and have stated before I do not agree with some of the tactics employed (which have at times felt designed to damage this forum - which is highly inappropriate in my opinion, not to mention insulting to it's legacy), I know that they are attempting to operate that forum as the continued legacy of Linnea's forum with the same passion and energy they employed to keep this forum active over the last several years. Considering they have many of the most recently active members participating there (although, they seem to be discounting the number of recently active members of FF1 who have decided to remain active here), their claims to continuity of the Fantastic Forum based upon community seem entirely sound to me. What the new forum lacks are the archives of this forum, and the members who have chosen to remain behind.

That means that there are legitimately TWO Fantastic Forums. One based upon history, and a mixture of older members not active recently who appear to be returning, mixed with members who have chosen to remain active and not fully make the migration to the new forum. And one based upon the close-knit bonds of a good-sized chunk of the more recently active Fantastic Forum participants - some of whom were particularly close to Linnea.

This is not a competition, and we must not allow it to devolve in to one - that is the only true threat to the intent and community of people that have historically made up the concept of the Fantastic Forum. Snickering and wasting time on comments, and energy on thoughts about which forum is the real one (and this is happening amongst both groups) is unnecessary, inappropriate, and will ultimately prove to be detrimental to both forum's in my opinion if we are to accept that a sense of community is a large part of the draw of the Fantastic Forum (regardless of which version you participate in). Their are only small groups in both forums who feed off of that rivalry fueled energy - I think they fail to realize the impact they have on the majority.

Saharaka: It's really simple, it's ugly to go in to other forums and try to recruit people. I doubt very much that it would be appreciated at FF2 if members who participate in both forums chose to go over there and recruit people to this ship.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-25-2011 09:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-25-2011 10:28 PM

i guess I'm the only one here that don't CARE. I do not CARE. I love it right here. I do not care if people go back and forth. And I'm not here to give out lectures to others. everyone feels different and I for one will not tell anyone what they should do or not do. Some say they know how Linnea would feel, cool, and some like me, I have no idea what anyone is thinking. I just try to be a good Turtle and a better Pirate on the The One The Only- Original Fantastic Forum.

But I do agree with Kaztronic, Saharaka I know you mean well but thats kind of on the rude side. Why don't you go back and tell every one on the NEW F-tastic. To come and join back up with us. No hard feelings.

Now that was rude of me, too. HUH See its just not right to do that kind of stuff. I would never go there and say anything to the other's. this is not a lecture just a turtle's thought....

I'm here to support Fan on his adventure to Sail The One The Only- Original Fantastic Forum ship as far as he wants to go.
Last edited by turtle101 on 05-25-2011 10:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-25-2011 10:59 PM

hhhmmmmwhat happen where i'd go
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Post by Dude111 » 05-25-2011 11:17 PM

CoastZone wrote: Linnea would never approve usage of FF2.
No and i think she might be hurt knowing people are turning thier backs..

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-25-2011 11:25 PM

Kaztronic wrote: I would like to reply to both CoastZone, and Saharaka here.

CoastZone: Really, you shouldn't presume to speak for Linnea (nor should anyone else in my opinion. Not at this forum, nor the other. No one, absolutely no one can say what Linnea would think of the goings on here and over there. As I recall, Linnea specifically did not like for people to speak for her, nor presume her thoughts and feelings). The fact is, many of her friends started that forum, many were participating here with Linnea recently and stuck with her through thick and thin. I am close with a few people there, and I can tell you that it is a fact, that they believe they are carrying on the true legacy of the Fantastic Forum, and are doing so in honor of their friend Linnea. While I do not agree with some of their feelings about the changes at this forum, and have stated before I do not agree with some of the tactics employed (which have at times felt designed to damage this forum - which is highly inappropriate in my opinion, not to mention insulting to it's legacy), I know that they are attempting to operate that forum as the continued legacy of Linnea's forum with the same passion and energy they employed to keep this forum active over the last several years. Considering they have many of the most recently active members participating there (although, they seem to be discounting the number of recently active members of FF1 who have decided to remain active here), their claims to continuity of the Fantastic Forum based upon community seem entirely sound to me. What the new forum lacks are the archives of this forum, and the members who have chosen to remain behind.

That means that there are legitimately TWO Fantastic Forums. One based upon history, and a mixture of older members not active recently who appear to be returning, mixed with members who have chosen to remain active and not fully make the migration to the new forum. And one based upon the close-knit bonds of a good-sized chunk of the more recently active Fantastic Forum participants - some of whom were particularly close to Linnea.

This is not a competition, and we must not allow it to devolve in to one - that is the only true threat to the intent and community of people that have historically made up the concept of the Fantastic Forum. Snickering and wasting time on comments, and energy on thoughts about which forum is the real one (and this is happening amongst both groups) is unnecessary, inappropriate, and will ultimately prove to be detrimental to both forum's in my opinion if we are to accept that a sense of community is a large part of the draw of the Fantastic Forum (regardless of which version you participate in). Their are only small groups in both forums who feed off of that rivalry fueled energy - I think they fail to realize the impact they have on the majority.

Saharaka: It's really simple, it's ugly to go in to other forums and try to recruit people. I doubt very much that it would be appreciated at FF2 if members who participate in both forums chose to go over there and recruit people to this ship.

"legacy of the Fantastic Forum"

Kaz. Please. You really were not here for that. You don't really have a clue as to what has happened here.

I'm not going to foul this place getting into it in respect to the new owner. But you know how to get hold of me if ya really want to discuss it.

Peace.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been The champion of the world.

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 05-25-2011 11:52 PM

I agree turtle. Come to think of it, something is just not right about a former pirate trying to get the crew of the Ship Fantastic to abandon HER and climb aboard a REPLICA.Does seem downright rude, now doesn't it?I also want to add just one thing. If my memory serves me correctly this ship was originally started by RC and Linnea moderated, later RC eased back and Linnea took over. Linnea worked really hard and did wonderful things and this is still the original ship. I for one am thrilled that many of the original pirates have come back aboard. I hope many more will find their way back. These people are fun and easy going, and I think when we get newbies they will be VERY comfortable here. I'm sure the "New Fantastic Forum" is just fine for some but it is not "home", like this ship is. As I said before, I swore never to return, and found the desire to stop in every few days and read some posts irresistable. I could NOT leave. I am thankful to all the pirates that have been adrift elswhere and have returned, as I am thankful to FAN for caring and sharing his time with us. I hope he tells his awesome partner how much we appreciate her letting us borrow some of his time. I feel very welcome and comfortable at his "jewel" site. If this true Ship Fantastic ever dry docks, I know right where I will be. :)

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-25-2011 11:59 PM

Very nice. Well said.:)

turtle101
Ship's Bartender

Post by turtle101 » 05-26-2011 12:05 AM

Cool, Patty.;)

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-26-2011 12:17 AM

Actually Ben Slain, to be fair, "you don't really have a clue" as to what I do, or don't know about this forum prior to my participation in it. It's been close to 4 years, and over 6,000 posts since someone has pulled newbie nonsense on me here. I never stood for "well you weren't here back then" when I first joined this forum, and I'm sure not going to stand for it now as I continue to participate at this forum.

What exactly did I say about "the legacy of the Fantastic Forum" that bothers you? That a group of people believe they are continuing the legacy of this forum (same as several people here believe that this place is carrying on the legacy of the forum)?

Where in my post, that you take exception to based upon my use of the words: "legacy of the Fantastic Forum", do you see my interpretation of what the legacy of this forum is?

For the sake of clarification, I'll clear that bit up for ya right now:

I think that the "Legacy of the Fantastic Forum" is contained within every letter, of every word, of every post, by every member contained within it's archives. It is in the topics that we discuss, and the interests that we share. I believe the legacy of the Fantastic Forum is in every person who has ever participated, and will ever participate in this forum. I feel that the legacy of this forum is contained within the spirit of it's creator (which will forever be inseparable), and also in Fan who is doing his best to ensure this forum continues. I happen to believe that every post yet to be written on this forum will also be a part of that legacy, as will each new member. Further, I also happen to feel that each and every post written, and yet to be written on FF2 is ALSO a part of the "Legacy of the Fantastic Forum" - and so are the members of that forum, who I will defend down the line, because I know where they are coming from (even if I do not entirely agree with them). My personal preference is to see the two places co-exist, and do their own things - without sniping at each other, without trying to imply that one forum is superior to the other, and without interfering with each other.

My interpretation is likely to piss off some members of both forums embittered by the past. But for those of us who just want to get on with things, I bet some of it resonates.

Finally, as regards off forum conversations, there are four or five people I speak to offline. I do so because I know them fairly well, we have certain common interests, and because there is mutual trust. I don't really know you yet to get engaged on that level.
Last edited by Kaztronic on 05-26-2011 12:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Image "You'll get used to my babbling, all the others have." - Anna Madrigal from "Tales Of The City" by Armistead Maupin

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-26-2011 12:39 AM

Well if you lurked for seven years then yes you are right. I don't know what you know about this forum.

And the legacy part? Well you may be right there to. I may be confused History with legacy. I guess what may have got to me was where you posted about the original FF and what Linnea would have done.

The...Ya know what? I'm not going to do this with you here. I really have liked your post in the last 2 or 3 years and we have a lot in common. but the people you are listening to now are not the people who started this forum.

I'm not gonna bad mouth anyone here. That is what this place turned into and i don't wanna see that again.

I think you are influenced by the wrong people but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

It is what it is.

BenSlain
Pirate

Post by BenSlain » 05-26-2011 12:43 AM

And Fan.

Again. Sorry for running off on a tangent.

Gotta get them PM's working dude!:D

And ya need more smiles so I can properly express myself.

Kaztronic

Post by Kaztronic » 05-26-2011 12:53 AM

BenSlain wrote: I guess what may have got to me was where you posted about the original FF and what Linnea would have done.

Seriously? Did you read what I said about Linnea? I'll quote it because I think you perhaps misread it:

"you shouldn't presume to speak for Linnea (nor should anyone else in my opinion. Not at this forum, nor the other. No one, absolutely no one can say what Linnea would think of the goings on here and over there. As I recall, Linnea specifically did not like for people to speak for her, nor presume her thoughts and feelings)."

Where in those words am I saying what Linnea would have done? Frankly, I have no idea at all about what Linnea would have thought about all of this - I imagine that there are all kinds of possibilities. I'm just glad to still be able to participate on this forum, and to see it continue.

BenSlain wrote: I think you are influenced by the wrong people but there's nothing anyone can do about that.

If we have much in common, then I look forward to getting to know you - and thank you for the compliment.

As for the mysterious people who are apparently influencing me? LoL. Have you really been reading my posts for the last 2 or 3 years? Honestly, whoever it is that you think is influencing me would probably get as big a laugh out of that idea as I'm getting now :D

Patty
Pirate

Post by Patty » 05-26-2011 12:57 AM

BenSlain wrote: I really have liked your post in the last 2 or 3 years and we have a lot in common. but the people you are listening to now are not the people who started this forum.

I'm not gonna bad mouth anyone here. That is what this place turned into and i don't wanna see that again.

It is what it is.
Perfect Ben. Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't find a nice way to word it. Right on the money! :) And you are right in that we DO NOT want to turn the ship back into what it had become in the recent years. We can probably all agree to take it private if more needs to be said? So count me out of any more of this discussion. BUT that said, it is a free and open forum this 'eer SHIP FANTASTIC! That is till the Capt. hits us or' the head with a dead chicken! :eek:
Last edited by Patty on 05-26-2011 01:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”