Does Art's Cryptic Message Mean Return To Airwaves?

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Lore
Pirate

Post by Lore » 07-20-2013 02:30 PM

I recall Art saying he hurt his back while falling from his ham antenna.

I also remember that he said he was told by a doctor that this was a type of injury that was going to get worse as he aged. I remember Art saying that it ultimately resulted in severe back cramps.

I remember him saying that at one point he and Ramona took the RV and went across country to visit someone (his mom I think but not sure) and Ramona drove most of the way home because all he could do was lay on the couch due to back cramps.

I also recall him saying he was on Celebrex and he knew of the possible side effects but that it was helping.

I don't think his back problems were bogus, but they may have somewhat resolved, there are new therapies all the time, perhaps enough to allow him to do a show on a limited basis or perhaps a show with less hours than Coast. Or maybe he is capable of doing a full show like before.

If Art does a show in the day to be played at night, he wouldn't have callers questioning the guest nor could he do open lines.

It wouldn't be the same show without caller questions or open lines.

I don't remember Art saying he hurt his back picking up a delivery package, but he may well have aggravated a pre-existing injury doing just that.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-20-2013 02:57 PM

Lore, I remember one time he said he walked off their deck, while it was under construction. I don't think his back has had an "easy" time. :)
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-20-2013 04:24 PM

Apparently Art's back woes go way back. According to a Nevada public radio story at the time of his 2002 retirement:
  • Art Bell, got back in radio after he fell of a telephone pole 15 years ago, breaking his back. No longer as physically able, his injuries put him behind the mike.
15 years previously would be 1987, with his West Coast AM show going on the air on KDWN in Las Vegas after that. As the story also notes:
  • The same thing that put him behind the mike is also taking him away from it. . . his back injuries.

But there is one fact he didn't mention. He and his wife Ramona Bell have bought a radio station in Pahrump. A station fit for retirement.

"You're over the hump in Pahrump with 95-one K-Y-N-E"
Though no longer the owner of the station, as has been speculated to a degree over at Into Infinity, one thought is he could contract to have a show broadcast from KYNE while providing live and archived streaming from his site. A not totally implausable scenario, methinks!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-20-2013 04:47 PM

I think the call sign is KNYE. Typo or KNPR inaccuracy?

For those of you into Google Earth.
NAD83 Degrees Minutes Seconds
36° 11' 51.9" N.
116° 02' 11.1" W.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-20-2013 04:54 PM

It appear he sold the station to Karen Jackson. Didn't this occur just after he go remarried?

FCC Transfer
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-20-2013 07:56 PM

Seems to me he sold the station right after Ramona passed, but he did talk about the station on the air, even ran some pictures, If I recall. I think after Ramona died, he put Everything for sale! I doubt very much if any one could have met the asking price for his place (home and antenna)then he kept it, I think, that was kind of the way it went. Since he won't talk to us, we can speculate until the "cows come home".
KARMA RULES

Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities': Voltaire

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-20-2013 08:07 PM

voguy wrote: I think the call sign is KNYE. Typo or KNPR inaccuracy?
A transcription typo, I believe, from a station promo clip included in KNPR's original on-air story - and an error I failed to spot and correct in my own posting text. You've clearly got more on the ball today than I have, VO.
voguy wrote: It appear he sold the station to Karen Jackson. Didn't this occur just after he go remarried?

FCC Transfer
I wouldn't have known this other than to look it up... Actually, Art's announcement of his remarriage came in mid April 2006, and the KNYE.com "About Us" page has a pic of Art and station manager Jackson at the putting pen to paper session for the sale on 5/28/2008.

That same page notes Jackson had been manager for 2 1/2 years at that point, coming into the position in January '06, the time of Ramona's passing. In losing her, it's not hard to imagine Art was already envisioning eventual in-total transfer into trusted hands by putting Jackson in the job.

Having no reason to think the two of them are on no less copacetic terms today, so much as he and Clear Channel are no longer such good friends, wouldn't it'd be a nice indirect poke in the eye to Premrad for Art to air his show from KNYE?
Last edited by Riddick on 07-20-2013 10:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-20-2013 08:10 PM

Doka wrote: Since he won't talk to us, we can speculate until the "cows come home".

So what is the rub with Art and FF? He, (as well as Noory), seem more in touch with FF2, which I never could understand given some of the viciousness that went on by the old crew.

Doka
Pirate

Post by Doka » 07-20-2013 08:21 PM

Speaking of "speculation" you would think that some Art Bell fan, would have kept every picture Art ever posted. I don't know about the legality of showing the pictures. But that doesn't seem to stop people these days. It would be fun to see them. Somewhere I have the disk, that I spent my hard earned money on, that he and Keith put together.
KARMA RULES

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-20-2013 09:57 PM

voguy wrote: So what is the rub with Art and FF? He, (as well as Noory), seem more in touch with FF2, which I never could understand given some of the viciousness that went on by the old crew.
I'm not at all sure but as I recall, at the time of the schism in the wake of Linnea's passing and the transfer of the forum into 'untrusted' hands which all ultimately lead to the split, at some point someone, my best guess Shirleypal, said Art was having problems logging in here.

So much as that's true and the issue was unresolved he joined the FF2 and that was that, YET aside of that? He's only posted there 4 times since, 3 within five weeks of joining and the last around a year and a month later when Shirleypal passed on. As it is the last time he'd been in close touch here was shortly before and after Linnea's passing; with no postings prior to that in the year and two months after it was revealed on the show he'd hosted C2C for the last time.

Now, would you believe from what I can tell Art started his Facebook page at or around the start of June '11, about a month after the split? Might one well wonder if the split had no small something to do with his decision, as he may come to have reason to wonder himself about the continued well being and vitality of either forum heading into the future?

So far as that goes, as in large it was the "core" FF pirates (in their humble opinion) who left, it's interesting in the over 2 two years since how little of a core contingent is left on the decks of "The Deuce" today...

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-21-2013 12:06 AM

KNYE.com's Main Page shows the station as carrying C2C on its schedule... currently. Wonder how long 'til the contract to air it either 1) requires renewal or 2) runs its course?

Along with artbell.com, might be worth watching for changes there along the way as well eh!

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-21-2013 09:23 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Riddick.

It just seemed odd to me, and I often wondered if the person posting as "Art Bell" was not someone else. It would destroy my faith in Art as a person to think he would align himself to people who openly troll and inflict pain on others.

But Noory seems OK with the idea so this may be a reflection on them and the culture of the show. It's disturbing in Noory's case as he professes to be so aligned with good for humanity.

Be it whatever, you can tell a lot about a person's character by the friends and issues they support, as well as their silence when a friend does something wrong.

Saharaka
Pirate

Post by Saharaka » 07-21-2013 04:42 PM

New message on Art's Facebook page! It's starting to look really promising folks!
Creature of the desert

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing plaid with stripes comes easy."

JimWest
Pirate

Post by JimWest » 07-21-2013 06:28 PM

A new message at Art Bell's twitter page in the past hour today:

Art Bell ‏@ArtBell51
Closer and closer. I may announce here or on Facebook. I am bound right now to not say more.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-21-2013 07:20 PM

Well, if nothing else it looks like we won't have all too long to wait anymore for the big reveal.

What comes of what's in the works will be well worth the wait, I sincerely hope, though at this point should it come up well short of any high expectations "Wanna Take A Ride?" might invoke, I can't imagine being all too disappointed in any way IF in any way Art indeed returns to the mic -

Even well before he left the air, the Master wasn't quite the one to the max we'd heard for so many years - 'Course, no doubt no few things outside his control played into that but being a die hard radio guy I betcha he still has it in him to be the best with the most, unlike some overnight hosts who never had it to beGiN with, KnowhutImean?

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”