Does Art's Cryptic Message Mean Return To Airwaves?

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 07-18-2013 09:50 PM

Riddick wrote: FWIW, here's what a poster over at CoastGab had to say about all this -
  • Here is more speculation.
    Noory's contract expires at the end of this year. He will have a new website at the end of the month and be reading health care vignettes.That is not going to work for Coast to Coast. Noory is not getting fired, he is being repositioned. He will have a show, but it will cater more to his interests and be shorter, two hours, so that he can have four guests. It be entitled A Healthy Dose of George Noory .....

A little bat from the cave told me.
Ooops ..... guess again.

George Noory Renews Long-Term Deal with Premiere Networks

http://www.premiereradio.com/news/view/1408.html

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-19-2013 07:31 AM

Well, like I said eariler, the diminutive bat didn't have accurate information.

Still, it was fun speculation. So far as that, I'd say any idea of Art returning to C2C is pretty much a no-go now.

Beyond that though, since he's said he doesn't want to do a regular nightly show as it means little quality time with his wife and daughter during the day, I'd say a one or two night weekend hosting gig of some sort wouldn't be out of the question. Or possibly a regular weekday gig at a different time, maybe late evenings instead of overnight. OR something else entirely -

The possibilities, while not endless, are still mind-boggling so much as we don't know just what he's got in the works.

In any case, what I would hope is we haven't had our hopes raised only to have them 1) left hanging for an inordinate length of time and 2) dashed in some seriously short-of-expectations way. If "Wanna take a ride" to any extent turns out to be "being taken for a ride" I'll be more than disappointed.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 10:10 AM

Art said in no uncertain terms there was no way he was going back to C2C. I think he is going to do an independent thing, hopefully a podcast or on-demand type system. Probably a paid subscription (I'll pay).
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-19-2013 12:44 PM

Fan wrote: Art said in no uncertain terms there was no way he was going back to C2C.
Such as may be, hasn't Art more than once expressed the sentiment of "never say never"? At the same time, clearly wanting nothing to do with what C2C has become, he said if SIT shows continue he'd tell the real story of his "so-called" retirements. As we've not seen that happen, might he've come to know good reason not to?

That's where I found the CoastGab post plausible if not all too likely, insofar with GN out of the picture what C2C had become would have a chance to clearly change for the better with John B. Wells on weeknights and Art and Knapp on weekends. No little wishful thinking involved in that scenario, as is now all too apparent eh?
Fan wrote: Art said in no uncertain terms there was no way he was going back to C2C. I think he is going to do an independent thing, hopefully a podcast or on-demand type system. Probably a paid subscription (I'll pay).
I likewise see an online setup as the most likely route Art takes, though being a "radio" guy, I'd not totally dismiss the idea of him having a show that goes out over the airwaves one way or the other...

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 12:59 PM

different message up now as well as a twitter handle http://artbell.com/
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 01:00 PM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-19-2013 01:32 PM

Art sure likes to lead us on doesn't he? Still, putting off an actual announcement of serious substance done to excess can be pretty off-putting.

Do lead on, Art, but please don't demonstrate too much procrastination in taking us to whatever is your chosen destination.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 01:32 PM

Riddick wrote: Art sure likes to lead us on doesn't he? Still, putting off an actual announcement of serious substance done to excess can be pretty off-putting.

Do lead on, Art, but please don't demonstrate too much procrastination in taking us to whatever is your chosen destination.
remember too that he did this for YEARS after he retired... "nothing is as it seems" ... what were the other ones?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 01:33 PM

Is he going to come out and tell us his back injury was bogus at some point I wonder?

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 07-19-2013 01:34 PM

Fan wrote: remember too that he did this for YEARS after he retired... "nothing is as it seems" ... what were the other ones?

oh yeah "mysterious and reassuring" among others.

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-19-2013 02:06 PM

Fan wrote: Is he going to come out and tell us his back injury was bogus at some point I wonder?
Well, if not entirely bogus, perhaps as the reason for his retirement it was less than as it seemed at the time eh?

Wouldn't it be interesting if his first show back was all about the real story? Could be he'd need a full show for each of his retirements. Making noises about doing just that would be a way to generate even more interest and attention ahead of his comeback, not only from fans but also his old bosses!

cherry
Pirate

Post by cherry » 07-20-2013 12:34 AM

Fan wrote: Is he going to come out and tell us his back injury was bogus at some point I wonder?

ARt reached over to pick up a UPS package in his front yard and messed up his back as I remember. It was over a decade ago, so my memory might be off a little bit. :o

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-20-2013 07:57 AM

And as a recent sufferer to trying to pick up something heavy, I think it stands to reason that the back issue is not as bogus as one might think.

Most of us when we have a back injury or spasm, can get our of our chair, move around, and get some relief. If you're doing radio, you're stuck in one position for at least 25 minutes at a time. A four hour shift with only 5-6 minute breaks for a stretch would be torturous give some conditions.

Personally, I think this issue is more contractual and about who has the say for the content and show formatting. In my humble opinion I would support Art in this. Face it, he developed the format and style we came to love. So if he could parlay a contract with a network and not have corporate weasels telling him what to do and say, I think it would be worth the wait.

And just a thought... while he has family, and I know we like the telephone calls he gets, there is nothing wrong with him recording his show during the day and playing it back at night.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 07-20-2013 12:47 PM

voguy wrote: And as a recent sufferer to trying to pick up something heavy, I think it stands to reason that the back issue is not as bogus as one might think.
Personally, I think this issue is more contractual and about who has the say for the content and show formatting.
While not the physical cause of Art's back pain, if already then he was having serious concerns the show itself was suffering in content and format due to Clear Channel dicta, that'd clearly had potential to be no small source contributing to an aggravated back and the mental anguish he was experiencing as a result of both.

Insofar either source of pain couldn't be put right overnight, if CC was less than willing to provide him peace of mind concerning the direction of the show and, rather than relief, Art saw only more of the same meddling from above moving forward, with a choice between looking out for the show and his health his health won.

Speculation it is indeed, but certainly not beyond the realm of possibility eh! And in the interest of full disclosure, no supposedly knowledgeable nocturnal flying mammal came out of a cavern to clue me in.

voguy
Pirate

Post by voguy » 07-20-2013 02:16 PM

Sure, and let's be honest... if you really like what you're doing, you can put up with some pain.

But if you hate the grind, and the people who are inflicting woe, then your pain can be a lot more than what you would normally expect. Safe to say many a person who has hated what they do has used the doctor as an excuse at one time or another, as well as unintentionally due to the woe-factor.
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”