Art Bell Breaks Silence On Ebola

From the Far East ~ Art Bell!

Moderator: Super Moderators

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-16-2014 11:55 PM

An Ebola czar appointment? That's just what the doctor ordered! So much it shows O is acting responsibly, it creates instant credibility for the administration, and best of all, it's someone they can pin all the blame on later.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-17-2014 05:26 AM

Yeah, well, it was kinda weird having the Director of Homeland Security running the show.........
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-17-2014 11:14 AM

kbot wrote: Yeah, well, it was kinda weird having the Director of Homeland Security running the show.........
Could be in a rare moment of actual cognizance, administration officials finally figured that one out themselves.

If it's all about chain of command in a national emergency, I would expect czars to be comparitively disposable -

Just when all Ebola hell DOES breaks loose? For sure the HS director isn't the guy you wanna have take the fall.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-17-2014 11:22 AM

Last night's "spontaneous" press conference/ living room chat was kinda strange
There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free. (Moody Blues)

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-17-2014 11:25 AM

I guarantee ebola will fade away just like SARS. This is not a new problem, the fact it is supposedly spreading now after so many years makes no sense. It is another media ploy in my opinion. They will probably try to force vaccinations or some other stupid thing, bring in new laws on quarantine, house arrest, martial law, etc... but none of that will have anything directly to do with ebola infections.

If the media is all over it there is something fishy going on.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-17-2014 03:37 PM

All mindless hysteria aside, less sleepy skeptics might see how this whole current Ebola scare helps reveal our federal government's entire "protection racket" top to bottom as first and foremost a mind molding people controlling scheme -

Prepared for anything? OH, sure. Comes any truly fatal fertilizer hits the propeller, ostensibly 'A-Team' authorities will treat us with all the caring competency of the Keystone Kops, while safety and security of the ELITE will be Job One, as always.

Truth is, at any time in the fight with primal forces working against its comfort OR survival, a victory for mankind is highly dubious - That's why, as a threat, 'climate disruption' MUST be our fault, if not how can we be 'sure' curbing CO2 will "fix" it?

Should Ma Naitch want humanity out of the way, she has lotsa options. How about a gigantic volcanic eruption that creates a globe-encompassing sunlight-blocking shroud? Or a continent splitting mega-earthquake with accompanying tsunami?

It's like George Carlin said: Save the planet? We can't even take care of ourselves. So take any official "help is on the way" decree with all the confidence it deserves.

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-18-2014 06:34 AM

Where I think tat you're missing the point Fan, is where we live in a society where people can, and do, move rapidly around the world with none of the protections (at least in this country anyway) that were in place in previous years to stop community outbreaks of disease - and that are, ironically IN PLACE in less-developed, less "cultured" societies than ours purports itself to be. Look at Nigeria, where a clampdown on those who were sick, stopped the disease in its tracks.

A number of years ago, I went on a class trip with my son to New York - among the places we visited was Ellis Island. I found it fascinating because I had family members that passed through there and I wanted to see the place.

Our policy in this country used to be that if you appeared sick, you were quarantined for a period of time - or sent back. We don't do that anymore because we don't want to offend anybody. Never mind the people who have to take care of the people who end up in the ER later on - they can go screw themselves I guess.

The nurse who appeared on TV to complain about the conditions at the hospital and availability of supplies has a valid point - hospitals are always looking for ways to cut costs. Most hospitals have something called a "value analysis committee" - and it is their assigned role to identify products within a hospital, and find similar products out there in the market that can do the same job, but cost less money.

A perfect example of this in action are disposable non-sterile and sterile gloves. I can't count how many times over the years I've seen hospital buy cheap crappy gloves. You pul on a pair and they break. So, you pull on another pair, and they break. You pull on a third and they have holes in them..... Sure, at first they're cheaper but then so go through so many and you have cost over runs.

Also, look at the what people from the World Health Organization's team uses for infection control - I can guarantee you that this is not normal stock infection control supplies available in the hospitals.

Fan
Lady with a

Post by Fan » 10-18-2014 07:58 AM

kbot wrote: Where I think tat you're missing the point Fan, is where we live in a society where people can, and do, move rapidly around the world with none of the protections (at least in this country anyway) that were in place in previous years to stop community outbreaks of disease - and that are, ironically IN PLACE in less-developed, less "cultured" societies than ours purports itself to be. Look at Nigeria, where a clampdown on those who were sick, stopped the disease in its tracks.
Tons and tons of people went to Africa to help (and report on) the outbreak in 1995. No one got infected and brought it home. I remember this quite well, and I just re-listened to Art's show. I am also reading Hot Zone, a non-fiction book all about it.

Our policy in this country used to be that if you appeared sick, you were quarantined for a period of time - or sent back. We don't do that anymore because we don't want to offend anybody. Never mind the people who have to take care of the people who end up in the ER later on - they can go screw themselves I guess.
Not in my lifetime it has not been. Again, SARS is a perfect example. It was supposed to kill us all as well. There were no mandatory quarantines. They put fever scanners in airports, that is it.

You can't just close off travel from anywhere. It is not going to get done. It is pretty crazy to think it is even possible either technically or morally.

Ebola has killed thousands. Thousands. This is not a doomsday scenario. More people died falling in their bathrooms last year I am sure. It is some isolated cases (maybe) and an opportunity to crank up the ratings for the networks.
The heartbreaking necessity of lying about reality and the heartbreaking impossibility of lying about it.

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Riddick
Pirate

John Stewart Chides News Media For Trying To Stir Up Ebola P

Post by Riddick » 10-18-2014 05:03 PM

Riddick
Pirate

FLASHBACK: 6 Months Ago...

Post by Riddick » 10-18-2014 05:05 PM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-18-2014 05:08 PM

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-19-2014 12:42 AM

From WHAT WE LEARNED THIS WEEK -

Yelling That You Have Ebola On A Bus Will Get You Arrested
On Monday afternoon, a man and a woman got onto a bus in Los Angeles, loudly informed their fellow passengers they were infected with Ebola and then got off. Now, the FBI is looking for the man, treating what was probably a poor-taste practical joke as a “possible terrorist or criminal threat.” Shouting Ebola on a crowded bus: the 21st century version of shouting fire in a crowded theater. LINK

Some Guy Thinks He Can Get $150,000 For Ebola.com
It was thought that domain squatting died out with the last tech bubble, but Blue String Ventures is still ticking. They want six figures for a domain with the same name of the virus that’s killed 4,000 people worldwide. Oh, and they also own BirdFlu.com, Fukushima.com, and PotassiumIodide.com. Capitalism! LINK

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-19-2014 08:17 AM

Fan wrote:
Not in my lifetime it has not been. Again, SARS is a perfect example. It was supposed to kill us all as well. There were no mandatory quarantines. They put fever scanners in airports, that is it.

This practice occurred in the US, primarily at Ellis Island, since most arrivals to the US came through there.

Snippet:

THE FORGOTTEN OF ELLIS ISLAND
Deaths in Quarantine, 1909-1911

Introduction

The database of people who died in Quarantine in New York Harbor contains the names and information of over 420 individuals — 85% of whom were children under the age of 13 years old — who died in Quarantine at the two hospitals located on Hoffman Island and Swinburne Island in Richmond County, New York. Most of these individuals were new immigrants en route to Ellis Island and, since they were ill with contagious diseases, they were removed from the ships in the outer harbor of the port of New York by the New York State Medical Inspectors and transferred to these two hospitals. Their families would likely have continued on to Ellis Island where they were probably detained while awaiting the sick child. Eventually, their families would have been released from detention on Ellis Island and traveled on to their new homes, never knowing where their children or family members were buried.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... uarantine/

Swinburne Island

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History

After several cholera pandemics in the nineteenth century, the federal government built Swinburne and Hoffman islands to serve as areas of quarantine for immigrants arriving by ship and carrying contagious diseases.[1] Along with Hoffman Island, which was constructed in 1873, Swinburne was used through the early 20th century to quarantine immigrants to the United States who were found to be suffering dangerous contagious diseases upon arrival at the Port of New York. Immigrants suspected of having such diseases were taken to the quarantine hospital and were not allowed to go to Ellis Island for entry until they were shown to be well or were cured of the disease. The island was used to quarantine patients during the last cholera outbreak in the United States in 1910-1911, which started with a passenger from Naples on the Moltke, a ship of the Hamburg-American line.[2][3] Swinburne was the second built, about a mile south of the earlier island, and it has a crematorium. The island was originally called Dix Island, but was renamed in honor of Dr. John Swinburne (1820–1899), a military surgeon during the American Civil War.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinburne_Island

Granted, things have changed - most people no longer arrive my ship. But a growing number of people are asking for a return to the same precautions.....

Riddick
Pirate

Post by Riddick » 10-19-2014 04:22 PM

I asked a friend in Texas who's coming up to WI for a visit next weekend not to bring any Ebola with him. He said he wasn't planning on it, but his opinion of it lies between the two extremes of "It's All Bullsh!t" and "It's The End Of The World" - He personally could see the herd might benefit thinning by half in a "Doomsday Lite".

kbot
Pirate

Post by kbot » 10-20-2014 10:51 AM

I think its being hyped way more than it needs to. My issue has been with how the CDC threw the nurses under the bus, and now that we know there is a threat (mild as it may be) that plans need to be put into effect.

Return to “Art Bell/The New Frontier”