Slugs

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

snowbird
Pirate

Slugs

Post by snowbird » 04-04-2003 01:38 PM

For any of you who have slug problems like I did with my Hosta plants, I found a solution that really works. It is 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water. Spray often around and under the leaves and throughout the stems. I start in the spring and really give it a good soaking.

I know it seems harsh, but ammonia seems to have some nutrients that are actually helpful to the plant and devastating to the slug and eggs.

Spray well at least once a week, although I have sprayed every 3 days or so. My hosta leaves were lacy, but not last year.

Joolz
Pirate

Post by Joolz » 04-04-2003 07:36 PM

Thanks for that advice, snowbird. We do get slug and snail infestations, and have tried tons of things. Some work, some don't. :/ I'll try this if they get bad again!

Anyone got a non-toxic solution for Argentine ants? That's been our worst problem to date. I spent weeks and weeks battling them late last summer and early fall. I'm really afraid of them coming back. They are horrible. They eat the roots of plants as well as farm aphids. yeech I hate using toxic poisons because of all the other animals -- our pets as well as wildlife. And plus, I just don't like to put that kind of energy in my gardens -- but can't have these nasty ants out of control either.
Image Anchors Aweigh!

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-06-2003 11:42 AM

snowbird - hmm will have to try the ammonia bit -- but it makes sense since ammonia in the anhydrous form is used as nutrients for farm fields. I have usually just used a dish of beer with slick sides - seems to work.

Joolz - I use terro ant poison - pets don't bother it - ants love it, and it kills them. There are also granuals you can get to put around plants - they dissolve in rain and soak soil - kills off bad bugs, and again - pets and even birds won't mess with it. Ants don't like cinnamon either but thats pretty useless in garden areas.

I too worry about affects on birds and pets - we have cardinals, bluejays, soon will have swallows, other song birds and of course smaller nuisance type birds as well. There are nesting geese and ducks in the area - so I do watch what I use.

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 04-06-2003 11:54 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joolz:
Thanks for that advice, snowbird. We do get slug and snail infestations, and have tried tons of things. Some work, some don't. :/ I'll try this if they get bad again!
</font>
I'd start spraying when the crowns are just poking through and continue from then on. The other thing that I did was spread sand around the new plants.

'Course there are hosta plants that do not attract slugs and that's the next thing I'm going to do - some research... I love the lush look that hostas give a garden.

Harmoniman
Pirate

Post by Harmoniman » 04-12-2003 01:06 PM

For any of you who have slug problems like I did with my Hosta plants, I found a solution that really works. It is 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water. Spray often around and under the leaves and throughout the stems. I start in the spring and really give it a good soaking.

Ammonia might work in the clean,crisp,Canadian climate but here in Philly slugs are immune to toxins,having been raised on them.:D Seriously, I have tons of slugs which I have tried everything on,including beer,yeasty dough,salt,citrus peels,dead slug tea.Last year I discovered something that goes to work immediately unlike salt which needs to be applied twice and is not good for the soil. It is VINEGAR!!
Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment
they start waving guns about? Doctor Who

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-14-2003 11:05 AM

Speaking of hostas -- they are peeking up here in the midwest - and time for me to divide a bunch of them! I did that last year and was rewarded by nearly twice the regrowth -- mine get to bushel basket size and then some -- lovely flowers too! So am dividing and moving to new shaded areas -- about 1/3 of the plant at a time....

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 04-14-2003 11:58 AM

Harmoniman wrote: Ammonia might work in the clean,crisp,Canadian climate but here in Philly slugs are immune to toxins,having been raised on them.:D
Mutated, have they? ;)
Seriously, I have tons of slugs which I have tried everything on,including beer,yeasty dough,salt,citrus peels,dead slug tea.

Try the amonia early on so that it gets the eggs. The ground here is just thawing. Tomorrow it's going to be 24o C. But the next day, drop back down to 2o C. Spring's coming but too slowly yet.

snowbird
Pirate

Post by snowbird » 04-15-2003 06:59 AM

I'm also wondering if the ammonia concoction would work for grubs and other creepies. Anybody know?

Harmoniman
Pirate

Post by Harmoniman » 04-16-2003 09:26 AM

snowbird wrote: Mutated, have they? ;)

Try the amonia early on so that it gets the eggs. The ground here is just thawing. Tomorrow it's going to be 24o C. But the next day, drop back down to 2o C. Spring's coming but too slowly yet.

I would like to try ammonia but I am afraid it will hurt my worms.
Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment
they start waving guns about? Doctor Who

Return to “Garden & Galley”