Spring and Gardens

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-01-2006 11:32 AM

Live365 -- that is a good question (and problem) as not truly sure what type of "palm" you are talking about. Maybe if you can google and find a picture of one - it would help. Course you could also find information on it that way too. I have maybe two plants that don't go outside right now, but I may move them outdoors this summer -- will see as they say.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 03-01-2006 01:59 PM

Thanks Cherry Kelly and Joolz, for helping me with my anticipated garden troubles. Muchly appreciated:)

I found something re ant problems and it comes in a lttle red plastic squirt bottle. Not harmful to other bugs and winged buddies. It' called "Raid Ant Killer" and according to my neighbor, works great.
They take it down to the queen as food and she can not longer reproduce on ingestion. I feel I'm past just putting something down to make them change their routes as last year I had a heck of a time in the kitchen with controlling the little monsters (and big monsters too). Extreme problems require extreme measures I guess.

Clatu

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 03-01-2006 06:00 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Live365 -- that is a good question (and problem) as not truly sure what type of "palm" you are talking about. Maybe if you can google and find a picture of one - it would help. Course you could also find information on it that way too.

Shall! :)
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-02-2006 11:21 AM

Clatu -- I used Terro which is sugary and ants take it back to nest -- and poof no more ants. Other bugs don't seem to go to it either - well except termites - they too will eat, carry back to nests and poof -- friend of one of my neighbors had termite problems in town. Said the terro worked when the professionals stuff didn't work.

I just put a bit on a small piece of wax paper on countertops where I see ants - soon the little drops are totally surrounded by ants - just keep adding more when they consume the original - until no more ants show up.

When garden time comes around -- don't forget the beer for slugs!

One of the biggest problems around here is connected to moles. Moth balls put into mole trails works - kinda. Thumping type wind whirly gigs on metal rods will drive them out. Certain plants (mole purge) will help too - but with the mild winter they have been way too active. Still working on that one...

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 03-02-2006 05:52 PM

Thanks again:)

I had two slugs show up in my home at different times during early winter this year. I have yet to understand how the two got in, but they did and it's the first year I have caught the little buggers in the house since buying it in 2000.
It's been mild this year no or very little snow (up until today) and I only have 1/2 a crawl space below, so I'm wondering if they didn't get in through the plumbing some how?

Clatu:)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-07-2006 11:45 AM

Clatu..... hmm got plants you've brought indoors this winter? might have come indoors in the dirt...

Had grasshoppers hatch out one spring - came indoors (as eggs) in one of the plants that goes outside in the spring/summer. Ants too one time and of course there is this little treefrog who likes to hibernate in one of the hybiscus plants. (or did - haven't heard him or seen him so far this year)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-10-2006 11:51 AM

Perfect timing to go out and separate some of those early sprouting plants -- Both the hosta and the bleeding hearts will be divided as well as moving some of the mums to new areas.

Clatu
Pirate

Post by Clatu » 03-10-2006 11:01 PM

Cherry Kelly wrote: Clatu..... hmm got plants you've brought indoors this winter? might have come indoors in the dirt...

Had grasshoppers hatch out one spring - came indoors (as eggs) in one of the plants that goes outside in the spring/summer. Ants too one time and of course there is this little treefrog who likes to hibernate in one of the hybiscus plants. (or did - haven't heard him or seen him so far this year)

Oh..I see, and yes I did bring two plants in after the Fall. I really don't like slugs and I have never seen or heard a story about them being inside a home before my experience.

Thanks for the information Cherry Kelly.

Clatu

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-11-2006 10:48 AM

Clatu - welcome.

I had heard stories about slugs indoors - usually came in with plants brought in for winter. We have a local Sat morning garden talk radio show where it had been mentioned. Spiders are another common "critter" that is brought indoors without knowingly doing so - or a plant that has been infected by aphids. One caller even mentioned a snake that had made a home in a large potted plant (small garden variety snake). We get a lot of rolly pollies and even ants in some of the larger pots... Just sorta goes with bringing plants indoors - get a variety of little unwanted "critters".

pyrite
Pirate

Post by pyrite » 03-12-2006 10:55 PM

"""When garden time comes around -- don't forget the beer for slugs! """

one year my mother put out small plates of beer to kill the slugs, and she couldnt figure out why the beer was gone every morning and there were no dead slugs...one night when she went outside to check and her two cats were drinking the beer...
:D

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-13-2006 11:42 AM

pyrite - hi and welcome to the garden stuff

yup - cats and neighbor dogs love beer! Its why I put out mine in a half can with a narrow type opening - slugs will go in (if sunk in ground properly) and dogs and cats can't get at it...

Live365
Ship's Bos'n

Post by Live365 » 03-13-2006 09:12 PM

CK, I'm so glad to hear that you, IvyQ and others are okay. My God, what a horror that was to wake up to this morning.

But alas, Spring. :( Next week up here, we will get inches and inches of snow, with wind-chill. They kept warning us but I kept ignoring them: the reason the winter has been so mild is because the *air* is trapped in Europe by the jet-stream. Come March, it will be here. They were right.

:( Will be in the mood for Spring...when it actually comes.

But it's better than tornados, huh.
Did you ever stop to think, and then forget to start again?

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-14-2006 10:29 AM

Live365 -- ya and we had some frigid air this morning - wish I'd have picked the blooming jonquils yesterday - though they are a cold weather tolerant -- afraid the blooms might not make it that well.

Yes it was quite the night - they say there were a total of 113 tornadoes across the middle USA. They were showing pictures on news last night. Those twisters were popping up and moving so fast.

Did get all but one garden area raked and need to get compost in the last one as its in need of rejuvenation.
Stay safe going to be quite the spring when it does arrive.

mamtitle
Banned

good luck , Belton

Post by mamtitle » 03-14-2006 02:54 PM

As a former resident of KCMO metro(Johnson county Ks) i hope you are safe and well.

There is nothing more bizarre when the sky turns still and has a greenish hue and then the noise of a rumbling freight appears in the near distant.

MM

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 03-16-2006 11:43 AM

MM ya its sometimes scary seeing a greenish sky, or smelling ozone in the air.... and hoping you have everything covered that needs to be covered.

===
Jonquils seemed to have survived the cold snap without problems for the most part, crocus are also putting on a colorful display.

Return to “Garden & Galley”