Teakettle weeding & vinegar

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Iris
Pirate

Teakettle weeding & vinegar

Post by Iris » 04-22-2003 03:24 PM

For organic gardeners...

I learned something when my son lived here and used to make beer in the garage. The weeds that grew up in the cracks in the driveway near the garage disappeared, and stayed gone for months. I asked him what he did, and he said he just dumped boiling water there.

Now, this doesn't work when it's wet and cold outside, but during the warmer, dryer months, I just heat up my teakettle and pour the boiling water on the weeds in the patio and driveway. It takes a few trips back and forth, but they disappear and stay gone for quite a while -- with no poison.

Another tip is to spray a vinegar/water mix on them. Try about 80% water to 20% vinegar for older weeds, or you can go even stronger. Use a plastic spray bottle and make sure to get the leaves good and wet. :)

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 04-23-2003 10:19 AM

I don't use boiling water -- I just use weed digger and dig them out by roots! Which is something I need to do in my newest flower garden area -- before they get too carried away (weeds that is).

but I might try that concoction on the sidewalk weeds -- sounds do-able... BTW - they don't like MT Dew either -- kid spilled some on sidewalk and the weeds shriveled and died......

Return to “Garden & Galley”