Grilling Vegies

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Grilling Vegies

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-10-2007 10:26 PM

I am going to BBQ/grill some vegies for company tomorrow night. Some corn, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. I have used the same recipe for YEARS with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs etc. I'd like to spread my culinary wings alittle this time. Anyone have a recipe for grilled vegies that I might borrow?
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-10-2007 10:34 PM

I don't have a recipe offhand but here are some great ideas from foodnetwork........some of these include meat but you can illiminate that if you want or not.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... src=search

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-10-2007 10:42 PM

The one posted on that make is pretty close to the marinade I make, but...that link lead me to this one which sounds good:)

Garnish:
1 cup assorted herb leaves, mixed
1 cup assorted micro-greens
1/4 cup Asian Vinaigrette
Salt and pepper
Lotus root, thinly sliced, deep-fried

Asian Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 lemon, juiced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

What on earth is a Lotus root? And I'm betting I can't get it in Elbe!
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Shirleypal
Pirate

Post by Shirleypal » 08-10-2007 10:47 PM

Lotus
Nelumbo nucifera

This graceful flowering water plant, grown since ancient times, has a place of honour in the history of three great civilisations: Egypt, China and India. Images of the flower appear in the art of all three cultures and to this day it is a symbol of purity, perfection and beauty. On the culinary side, every part of the plant is used in cuisines of cultures as diverse as China, Japan and India. The beautiful, multi-petalled pink lotus flower, sacred to Hindus and Buddhists, is only half the story. The stamens of the flowers infused with water make a fragrant tea (India), while the seeds, off-white and crisp-textured, are removed from flower pods (that look like some life form from another planet), peeled of their downy skins and eaten raw, or dried and puffed like popcorn (India).

Fresh seeds, both mature and immature, can be eaten raw. Dried seeds, sometimes called 'lotus nuts' must be boiled until soft. Crystallised with sugar as part of Chinese New Year sweet offerings; cooked into a sweet soup; and made into sweetened lotus nut paste which is mostly sold in cans and used as a filling for Chinese moon cakes.
http://asiafood.org/glossary_1.cfm?alph ... 7&endno=51

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 08-10-2007 11:12 PM

It is beautiful and looks/sounds delicious. And I know Elbe's (population 9600) little market doesn't carry that, ha ha.

But I will track some down soon and try that!

Return to “Garden & Galley”