Garden Prep Time

Gardening and Household tips. Good food. The Lighter side...

Moderator: Super Moderators

Psychicwolf
Pirate

Post by Psychicwolf » 06-13-2008 10:16 PM

IronsGold wrote: Keeping "Biker" is almost as hard as keeping goats! Actually, they're a lot alike, they'll both eat anything!

PW, I used to card and spin my own yarn, you'll love it. The feeling of accomplishment is very satisfying! Just be careful when you dye the yarn, do some test strings first, every scan takes color differently, I found the deeper colors "took" better. Good luck!

I am so excited to get started. :D
Dance to heal the earth. Not just when you're dancing, but always. Live the dance, whenever you move, in all you do, dance to heal the earth.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-14-2008 11:07 AM

badspell -- yup white oak is difficult - hard wood, but hedge (osage orange) is even 'harder' -- seen some of those fence posts out in KS as well as around MO - some are over 100 yrs old and still standing - untreated...talk about hard wood..

:)

Blooming flowers everywhere and veggies producing too.

My concern - econ wise - are flooded fields -- corn and wheat in particular. Those losses will definitely affect the economy.

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-21-2008 10:34 AM

The rains have finally slowed down - with just a few sprinkles off and on...

Catching up on de-weeding - again... and checking the fertilizer situation for some areas that need it...

Veggies are doing nicely for most part, but not completely as I'd like them to be by now- but with the weather set-backs they should now start catching up to where they should have been by this time of year.

Onward and upward...

Happy Gardening!

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 06-21-2008 09:46 PM

We have been extremely lucky down here, dodging the bullet You might say. Picture perfect weather for spring. light rain, sunshine, light rain, sunshine, over and over. :)
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-23-2008 10:25 AM

Small report on the potatoes in the hay.

(sounds like a book title)

End of winter, few potatoes that were sprouting, cut into chunks and thrown into an old hay pile (hay very old, but not moldy) and yes the potatoes finally grew, flowered and are still blooming. A quick check in the hay pile and yes - small potatoes growing!

---
Weathermen cannot agree - daily showers possible - no rain til later in the week - take your pick with the weather situation and who has the most up-to-date information.
Gardens may or may not need watering, so will wait and see what happens.

badspell
Pirate

Post by badspell » 06-23-2008 03:23 PM

Had some volunteer potatoes come up this year. Apparently didn't get them all out last year. I have already harvested them and the smaller ones still connected to the roots ( smaller than a dime ) I put on the ground and covered with straw as an experiment. Although the green stems and leaves did wilt a few days. New growth above ground is really looking promising.
My father-in-law said that was a easy way to grow potatoes.
I just hope they have the same flavor as potatoes grown in the earth.
All hear few listen

Cherry Kelly
Pirate

Post by Cherry Kelly » 06-29-2008 10:34 AM

Those potatoes will probably taste even better!

picking peppers for some salsa today...

Things growing nicely -- lot of rain seems to help, but what happens when it doesn't rain -- gotta water!

Return to “Garden & Galley”